Chevrolet's five-seat Equinox crossover is available with either a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine or a new 3.6-liter V-6, and both are mated to a six-speed automatic transmission. All trim levels are available with front- or all-wheel drive. Competitors include the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4 and Ford Escape.
In ascending order, trim levels include the LS, LT and LTZ.
New for 2013
There is a new 3.6-liter V-6 engine that replaces last year's 3.0-liter V-6. This 3.6-liter has the same fuel-economy ratings as the outgoing engine and returns more horsepower and torque.
Also available this year is Chevrolet's MyLink entertainment system and a rear entertainment system. For 2013, forward collision alert, lane departure warning and rear park assist are now available on any Equinox model. Buyers can also choose a new Power Convenience Package that includes an eight-way power-adjustable passenger seat, a power liftgate and a universal home remote.
The Equinox looks like an amalgamation of GM models. The horizontally split grille emulates that of the Chevy Malibu sedan and Traverse crossover, while the headlights ditch the Traverse's angular styling. Exterior features include:
- Standard 17-inch alloy wheels; 18- or 19-inch chrome wheels optional
- Optional power liftgate
- Optional power sunroof
- Optional heated side mirrors
Chevy's twin-cowl dashboard, used in everything from the Traverse to the Malibu, carves out similar shapes facing the driver and front passenger. The Equinox's basic radio interface details the station for each preset and can include AM, FM and satellite radio stations on the same list.
Chevrolet says the Equinox's deep center console can fit a laptop or small handbag. The rear seats recline and slide forward about 8 inches, with a trailing panel to ensure a gap-free cargo floor no matter the seat position. Interior features include:
- Standard cloth seats; leather optional
- Optional heated front seats
- Optional automatic climate control
- Optional navigation system and MyLink entertainment system
- Available rear entertainment system
- Optional power-adjustable front seats with driver-side memory feature
Under the Hood
A 182-horsepower, 2.4-liter four-cylinder and a six-speed automatic transmission are standard. The optional 3.6-liter V-6 makes 301 hp; it also uses a six-speed automatic. Mechanical features include:
- Four-cylinder or V-6 engines with direct injection
- Engines run on regular gas or E85 ethanol
- Front- or all-wheel drive
The Safety Package features forward collision alert, lane departure warning and rear park assist. Dual front- and side-impact airbags for the front seats and side curtain airbags for both rows are standard. Other standard safety features include:
- Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes
- Traction control
- Electronic stability system
- Blind spot mirrors
- OnStar communication system with airbag deployment notification
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox.