2006 Chevrolet HHR

23 city / 30 hwy

Overall

130,000 mile review since purchase

by Grimm from North Olmsted, Ohio | February 2, 2016

I had to buy a car quick, and for the price I decided to give it a try. I bought the HHR in 2010 with 68,000 miles on it. I now have 196,000 miles in it. While not perfect, it has been the most reliable car that I have owned, and very practical. I have a 11ft kayak, and I can fold down the seats, slide it in there, and bungee the tail gate down. REPAIRS DONE: cat. converter replaced, ball joints, shocks, fuel line. That's it. Mostly normal wear and tear repairs. Not bad for a car with almost 200k miles. The interior DOOR HANDLE broke. It's made cheaply, but I bought a replacement kit off Amazon for around $30 and replaced it myself. Not too difficult. GAS MILEAGE: Around 31-32 on the highway. PAINT: still looks great. RUST: starting to develop around the seams. Hood, doors, etc. I would recommend sealing the areas with something, but not bad for a car that's 10 years old in Ohio. FRONT END SUSPENSION: Not the best, but not bad. Probably could throw some money into it, but at the mileage I have, why? Probably my biggest complaint mechanically. OIL CONSUMPTION: I have to add a quart every 3 weeks or so. Not sure where it's going. No leaks, or black smoke. I've had to so this for 1 1/2 years. ENGINE: get's the job done, peppy but not a race car. So far it has been very reliable. Starts up every time. AIR FILTER: a pain to replace, could be made simper. OIL CHANGE: can do yourself easily simply by scooting under the car without lifting or jacking. BLIND SPOTS: bad. have to double check to make sure things are clear. I'm satisfied with this car. While it's basic, it is very practical, and has been very reliable. I would recommend. I put about 22k miles a year on this car since I have owned it. I deliver pizza part time in it since I've owned it, which always puts an extra wear and tear on your car. Even with almost 200k miles on it, I would have no problems or worries taking it on a road trip further than 500 miles away.

much better than the pt cruiser

by quirky carguy from washington dc | January 28, 2016

I have had this car for over a year now. I am a courier in the daytime and a uber driver at night. So this car gets very heavy usage. I am a fan of the HHr because I have found it to be extremely reliable. It has never failed to start on the coldest days.Gets great mpg in the city, the mid twenties, and low to mid thirties on the highway. Not bad for a car with over 225.000 miles on the odo. I love the retro look of the car, however there are flaws that come with such a design. I am 6ft3 and weigh well over 200lbs. The ceiling is indeed high inside giving me plenty of headroom, but the windshield is quite short, so I often have to lean forward to see stoplights. The control buttons for the power windows are in front of the transmission shifter. I have gotten used to the quirky design flaws. I have the 2.2 litre engine, which is the same as the cobalt.....not powerful but has enough power for city traffic.The car cruises quietly at most highway speeds. the stock exhaust tends to make a steady droning sound on the highway. I like this car so much I am looking for the turbo version. I can fit a ton of luggage in the space behind the back seats. I don't consider this vehicle a suv, or a truck.......there is no 4wheel or allwheel drive. Yet you sit higher than most cars , which comes in handy in traffic. There are several recalls on this model so make sure you check the vin # before you buy

Best car I've ever owned

by HHR Fan from Gibsonia, PA | June 13, 2015

I am a sales rep & have to transport large sample cases. I was looking for an SUV, but couldn't fit all of my cases in them. I saw the HHR on the used car lot, was able to fit all of my cases in it & bought it. It was 2 years old & had 37,000 miles on it. BEST BUY EVER. The cargo space is HUGE. People stop me all of the time to look at all of the stuff I am able to carry in the cargo space without having to fold down the back seats. It is 6 years later, I have 250,000 miles on the car, I have only ever replaced the oil, tires, brakes, and one time the windshield wiper was frozen to the window & I broke it when I turned them on. This is the absolute most reliable car I have ever owned. The air conditioning just died, and I'm replacing this car with another used HHR & giving this one to my kids, it still has a lot of life in it. Wish they still made them!

Worst car ever!

by Louisiana Car Driver from New Orleans, LA | May 14, 2015

The worst car i have driven in my life!! First off, every time i get an oil change the engine light will stay on for about a week and then come on and off. Water leaks into the front passenger floor board which has ruined the interior of the car and has caused the electric work in the car to go out. The A/C does not blow cold air in the summer and won't blow hot in the winter. The "seat heaters" have caused the leather on the seats to crack apart. The interior is too cramped and small for taller people, and it is almost impossible to see out of the back when driving. Overall, this is just a horrible car. I wouldn't waste my money on another one and can't wait to get rid of mine!

Bought new 2006

by MIchiganLady from Saginaw, Michigan | January 7, 2015

In 2006, I purchased a new 2006 HHR. Had been leasing vehicles for 15 years. I really like it despite all the the problem and the fact I was told it was built here. I thought that what the USA, apparently the sales person stretched the truth because it was assembled in Mexico. The car is comfortable (I am 5'6"), can haul a lot of things, gets decent gas mileage. January 2015, it only has 100,000 miles on it because I have other cars that I have purchased since 2006. It is a great car but I also like my Jeep and Corvette. I should get rid of at least one vehicle but cannot decide which one so I have kept them all!

Not for tall peopl

by Steve from Odessa, TX | December 3, 2014

Limited visibility for pretty much anyone over 6 foot as far as the front windshield is concerned. I also happen to have a model that has had a lot of problems with the recalls that have been called out. My gas mpg is actually higher then what is quoted for the 2.2L auto engine. Roughly 28 city and 34 highway, this could also just be the way I drive it though.

HHR 06

by Ms. Jones HHR from Nevada | September 25, 2014

It a vehicle that gets me to point A ad B. Can't complain. Overall it a good vehicle for the moment..

bad service

by monica from | March 13, 2014

dealer would not negotiate at all! went there looking to buy a vechical and negotiate a price . He would not budge on the price only wanted to take off a few hundred dollars on vechical ..Was very dissapointed..

Previous VW owner

by LovetheHHR from St. Joseph, MN | March 7, 2014

Bought used, it is in extremely good condition. It has all the extras I was looking for: leather interior, heated front seats, sun roof, nice stereo. I like the flexibility of rear space available, seats fold, hatch has rear wiper, wash and defrost. I am used to a sedan with a trunk, this is more convient for groceries. I feel very confident in this purchase of 2 months, 29mpg, 2006 with 145,000 miles. I really like sitting up a little higher on the road too - a huge plus for me.

Dream come true

by Niblet from Central Wisconsin | October 8, 2013

Smooth ride, cute to look at, roomy, versatile (can lay seats down to carry large objects), good large mirrors because you can't see out the back when driving it, which takes some getting used to. Good on gas mileage ours has been going about 30 miles to the gallon but we live out in the country and 33 miles on the highway. Very nice sounding radio.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet HHR