2004 Chevrolet Malibu MAXX

22 city / 30 hwy

Overall

First new car bought

by Family Man from Glenwood Springs, CO | July 31, 2013

My wife decided we needed a new car when our first child was born. Our old SUV was a bit rough! The Maxx has been an excellent choice of style, comfort and practical design! the hatchback and folding seats are a charm. Never seen a simpler, but effective design. Solid interior ready to haul a wide variety of items. Very useful for camping and longer trips. The body style is quite unique and sporty! Also, the mileage is very good. We've had the usual parts to replace (brakes, struts). Handles very well in snowy conditions (we live in high country, Colorado). Overall a very good choice of vehicle. Too bad Chevy decided to phase it out!

Excellent Value for the Money

by Annie Bug from Jamestown, N.C. | November 1, 2011

The remote start is a big plus. In town 24-26 mpg. On the highway 35-37 mpg. Hatch back is very roomy. Comfortable on long trips.

Carries everything!

by Bada-bing from Coneecticut | May 31, 2010

Things we have carried in my Malibu in single trips: -A wheel barrow and a lawnmower and my husband and myself in one trip. -My daughter's entire dorm room furnishings. -My son, his two friends and a surfboard, inside the car. -A futon bed and mattress, coffee tables and my daughter and myself from Ikea. -Two bicycles and a week's worth of beach gear plus my husband and myself. Plus the seats are heated which makes for a comfortable winter. Gas mileage is great. The only thing that seems to be an issue is the brake rotors - they need to be re-machined every 25,000 miles.

The Wagon that doesn't look like a Wagon

by Dr. D from Central Illinois | May 18, 2010

I've had this car 6 years now and can honestly say this is the best vehicle for me. Maybe it's the fact that there really isn't a comparable vehicle on the market. Prior to purchasing this car I went through 4 compact trucks in 5 years. I can't handle the rough ride of a truck, so I wanted to get a car, but wanted to keep the cargo space of a truck, without the poor gas mileage of a van... Well, you get my drift. All the seats fold down in this car, including the front passenger seat. You can haul 8 foot lumber inside the vehicle and if you don't mind placing one end on the dash near the windshield, you can fit a 10 footer in it. With just the rear seats down, I can fit my XL frame road bike in without taking any wheels off of it. With the seats up, there is plenty of leg and head room for 4 adult males (of the 6-foot 250+ lb. variety.) Yes, I've replaced my share of misc parts on this, but you get that with any vehicle over 6 years. My main ding to the interior design is that the driver's knee area is limited by the console, so my wide open male seating stance is a bit inhibited (compared to bench-seat trucks.) Also, I bought this in May before all the rebates kicked in, so I paid premium (had I waited 30-60 days I could have saved $4,500 in incentives.) But even with that, it's been a solid car. Handles well in ice and snow; you can burn the front tires pretty easily if you hit the gas too quick. I know GM pulled this off the market after only a few years, but I will probably have this thing forever or try to find one of the later model years.

Used at 151k

by G from Fargo, ND | May 13, 2010

I recently got my drivers license and went out car shopping. After months of looking I found this car sitting in a line up next to 1-ton trucks. After looking for a truck for awhile, I swallowed my pride and took this 04 Chevy Malibu MAXX out for a test drive. It had 151k on it but only had 1 owner with a clean title. It drove like it just came off the line and it was perfect. I now use it every day and re-fill it about every week. I plan on running this car as far as it will take me, and then some!

Solid Car With a Few Annoyances

by snyptim2 from Hugo, MN | February 18, 2010

I've owned the LT trim level of this car for almost three years now, having bought it with 31k miles. Overall, I'd say GM got this car about 95% right. To state the bad, the real annoyances I've seen have been premature brake rotor warpage and occasional steering shaft clunking. The front brake rotors warp after anywhere between 3k and 15k miles to the point it's bothersome enough for me to replace or turn them (cheap and premium rotors fare about the same). I have yet to replace brake pads. There is also a problem with the intermediate steering column shaft clunking which is treated with a squirt of lubricant in the right place. This takes care of it for 5k-10k miles. Now with the good. The car's drivetrain has been rock solid. 86k miles on the car now and no drivetrain problems at all. I'd have expected a failed fuel pump or water pump by now (considering it's a GM), but nothing yet. The engine has satisfying power with good passing power and feels very peppy and eager to go - it's surprising it has "only" 200hp and can idle up steep hills if coerced. It makes a relatively generic V6 sound. The brake pedal is firm and easy to modulate, and I've never had a problem with stopping distance. The variable electric steering system is very nice, but the car isn't great in a crosswind. Build quality is generally very good, with almost no squeaks or rattles. A rattle from the cowl developed after a new windshield was installed, but that was fixed in about 15 min with some mounting tape. The remote start, auto climate control, heated mirrors and heated seats are great during the MN winters. Traction during the winter is good. The sound system is about as good as it gets at moderate volumes without a subwoofer. Controls are very intuitive, neatly laid out and have a good feel to them. Visibility out of the car is very good (you quickly get used to the D pillars). Headlights are above-average brightness for halogens. The driver's seat is firm and comfortable, but the other seats could use some more lumbar support. The original SE200 tires were comfortable during winter but squealed on cloverleafs - Yokohama Avid T4s grip much better but are bad on rough roads. Fuel economy has averaged about 23-24 winter to 27 summer, with best of 31 and worst of 19-20 (computed by hand - 70/30 hwy/city). The trip computer is about 1.5mpg too optimistic.

Very fuel efficient

by KIM from Charloote,NC | April 13, 2009

This is my favorite car!When I was young I loved Malibus,but now I have 2 kids and I have to get station wagons and s.u.vs!Well in late 2003 I saw the Malibu wagon and knew this was my car! I love it because it has a better gas mpg then the Malibu Sedan!with an average of 37 mpg!

The Maxx is maxxing out my credit card

by Looking for another car in NC from Raleigh, NC | December 14, 2008

I bought this car used two years ago. Something about this car really spoke to me. It has a nice open feel with a sun roof and a moon roof over the rear seat. I also liked that it was a hatch back. I often folded down the rear seat and the front passenger seat to put things like bicycles, christmas tree, or building posts in the car. That was great. The car is also pretty zippy. It moves and moves fast. That's nice. The Malibu that I have also came with XM, onstar, and a dvd player in the back. I never subscribed to the onstar, but I love having XM. But the DVD player broke within a few months of having the car. The dealer told me it would be $700 to replace. First of all, I was never a big fan of my kid watching DVD's while driving around town, but it was helpful on long trips. But what good is a built-in broken DVD player. And I'd rather have a flat screen TV in my house than a DVD player in the car (portable DVD players are about $100 at Target). So what's so bad about this car: -constantly I'm having to get brake work done $$$$ -I'm constantly having to replace the tires. I buy quality, new tires. But something about the size of tire or something that Chevy choose didn't work out well with the design. -If you look at the cloth interior wrong it gets a stain. I've owned plenty of other cars/trucks, and never have I had a vehicle that looks as disgusting as this one does on the inside. The seats stain very, very easily. -Lastly, I'm writing this because I'm searching for a new car due to the fact that my Maxx had to be towed from the mall parking. The mechanic hasn't looked at it yet, but I'm pretty sure the tranny is done. Guess who isn't going to spend the $2000 to get it fixed? I'm going back to ford. No wonder GM execs are up in Washington asking for money. If the Malibu is any indication of what level car they are producing - they're in trouble!

Yes buy it! I love mine. 37 mpg highway

by Daryl from The Motor City | July 29, 2008

Chevy missed the boat when they stopped making this car. It is everything I wanted. The cargo room and mileage are both fantastic. The options are numerous. Heated seat,auto start, dual sunroof, V6 are just a few perks. I get 37.3 mpg on a long trip at normal speeds. Try that in an SUV!! The cargo room is great for long trips. This is the Chevy to own if you want to see the USA in a Chevrolet. I also own a Ford and Dodge but I perfer my MAXX hands down. GM should have kept this vehicle around! The only negative is no AUX input.

Fantastic car! Fuel Efficient, comfortable

by My "Flaming Beauty" from Garden City, Mi | July 21, 2008

I purchased this fully loaded car used with 30,000 and I have owned it for 8 months. It is the best car I have ever owned! My gas mileage on the Highway doing a constant 70mph (with two adults) is 37.3 mpg! Why, oh why, did they stop making this car??? The back seats moves forward to add trunk space when transporting grandkids and all of their baggage from state to state. The front seat folds flat to carry 10ft long 2x4's. This is truely a Crossover car. I would buy another one in a heartbeat and I come from a "Ford" family. Ford could learn something from this car! It may not be the coolest car on the road but add a few "flames" on a black one and it looks hot!

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Malibu MAXX