2006 Chevrolet Malibu MAXX

Available in 3 styles:  2006 Chevrolet Malibu MAXX 4dr Wagon shown

Overall

Maxx is the best

by Jinx from Indiana | March 27, 2014

I bought my car new in July 2006 and it is still running strong. Only issue was an oil pan gasket and that was under 36,000 miles I now have 111,000 miles on it. MPG is still around 30 on highway. Remote for remote starter did quit and new one cost about $150. Great car Chevy needs to make more.

Great solid car, minimal issues, good style

by Ranet from Fort Collins, CO | May 14, 2013

I bought this car new in 2006 and it continues to be a great car. The hatchback styling makes it easy to load in my antiques and larger items and the space in the back seat area is comfortable. Cons: Both my remote batteries are dead now in 2013 so I cannot open the doors remotely and that means I cannot use the automatic start in the cold wintertime - darn it! i just have to get them replaced. The hatch design is a bit weird in that when you unlatch the back from the inside of the car and then go out to open the back it tends to get sucked back into a locked position the minute you close the drivers side door. So now I have to unlock the rear and leave my drivers side door OPEN or else the trunk locks back up. Kind of annoying - but hey!! many people have worse problems with their older cars. I still get 23 mpg after all this time...and that's good. There is electric steering with this car so if it goes out I am in trouble - that's $1,200 to fix. but overall this car has been and continues to be an excellent car. My first Chevy.......hopefully I buy into the brand again, very pleased.

WHY did they stop making these?

by Porknozzle from Nortrh Carolina | March 1, 2013

Finally found a clean '06 Max SS and glad I did. Great performance and practicality in a stylish package. GM really blew it when they discontinued the hatchback version of the Malibu because now other manufacturers have similar designs. The SS version is fast and handles great. Rides smooth and quiet. Gas milage isn't the best but keep in mind that this is a pushrod 6 cylinder hooked up to an automatic transmission right out of the 80s. If Chevy still made this body style in an SS version I'd be all over it.

Love my MAXX!

by Malibu lover from Midland, Michigan | February 14, 2013

After totaling my 2001 Malibu, I began a search in the mid-michigan area for its replacement. After checking out Impalas (that were flawed in one way or another) By chance, as we were about to leave the dealership empty-handed, we saw a Malibu MAXX, immediately paid cash for it and drove it home! It doesn't have the moon roof I'd hoped for, but its only flaw, after two weeks of ownership, is the door locking mechanism. I've never had a hatch back and I enjoy the ease of loading and unloading this one.

2006 Malibu Maxx LTZ

by Professor from Columbus, IN | June 11, 2012

Delighted with this car. It is a roomy, comfortable ride. Car handles well. Love the adjustable pedals in addition to the adjustable seats. My only complaint with this car is the gas mileage. I get typically 22 - 23 in town; 29 - 30 on the road. My only other complaint is that Chevy decided to discontinue this model. :(

LOVE my Chevy - Malibu Maxx

by RevmyChevy from Alabama | December 12, 2011

I really love my Chevy Malibu Maxx. I can't understand why Chevy has dicontinued it. Well, I can; when I think abt it, it is so close to an Impala, I can easily see it eating into Impala sales. In my opinion it is better than an Impala. B4 buying I read a bunch of Reviews and they were all great. Great interior & exterior styling, with an eye to detail. I love using the Audio controls on the steering wheel which I initially thought so OTT (over the top). I use them all the time. I love to sit in the reclining back seats & relax while I am waiting for my child to finish a Piano (etc) lesson, look at the sky thro' the Moonroof, or eat in the back seat w/her, setting up our little table etc, again in-between church & extracurricular activities. The adjustable shelf in the rear is great. Again, can be set-up for an outdoor picnic as a table etc. Long live my Maxx!

Great car! (Though watch for one MAJOR issue!)

by Field Tech - Road Warrior from Pittsburgh, PA. | October 10, 2011

I had owned this car for 3 years and placed over 60,000 miles for work with this car. The ONLY warning I could offer is to beware of the electronic power steering. There is a known issue, and fix for this. Once this service had been completed, I had NO other issues with this car other than standard maintanence. It handled very well, even through the winter driving. The car is very comfortable and has lots of room.

Malibu Maxx

by Mary aka Realtor and Mommy from Chicago, IL | June 12, 2011

I cannot understand why Chevy stopped making this car! It is like a little SUV, but gets great gas mileage and can fit a big dog and lots of kids. I love it and would buy another one if it were available. It is built on a Saab chassis and I feel very safe while driving it. I heard it did well in all the crash tests, also. I put 80,000+ miles on it in 4 years and feel I received great value for my money. Buy American! The ONLY suggestion I have is I wish the rear window powered down like the old fashioned station wagons. The Yellow Lab would appreciate the fresh air.

'06 Malibu Maxx LT - This was THE ONE

by fun in the sun and snow from Michigan | April 14, 2010

I had looked for months online and on lots for a new car. I had my heart set on getting a hybrid like the Saturn Vue until I test drove it. I test drove dozens of cars but nothing felt right until the Maxx. The first one I saw was gold and it turned me off but I kept looking and found my black beauty. I have had this car for over a year and put 12000 miles on it traveling out of state with very little work needed. I have had to replace the cd player and the factory installed dvd player due to user (child) error. The tail light and blinker needed replacing but the cost and time was extremely minimal. The wheels needed alignment and the rear wiper button needed to be replaced. As this car was still under factory warranty, I only put $100 into it. No car is going to be perfect but this was one of the best cars in its class for the money. Pros: Fun, sporty, stylish, but still a good family size vehicle and gets good mpg Cons: Rear window is small, minor issues with standard features,

Love it, Love it, Love it!!!!

by Cali girl near Fresno from Coarsegold, Ca | October 19, 2009

I have to say I have owned quite a few cars. I bought this one from Hedrick's Chevrolet in Fresno and its a Malibu Maxx SS 2006. I can't say enough about this car. It has pep, it's sporty, has a euro feel when driving, outstanding features and it gets great gas mileage.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Malibu MAXX