2001 Chevrolet Malibu

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Substance Over Style

by Cruisin' Dutchman from New Jersey | July 1, 2014

Having owned exclusively German cars before, I decided to buy Chevrolet after moving to the US and without any regrets ever since. The Malibu may not be the sexiest car on the road, but it has proven to be very reliable. In fourteen years I replaced the usual suspects, such as the brakes twice, battery twice, the tires once and the radiator once. That's it. In exchange for regular servicing every 5000 miles, my Chevy Malibu has served me well without any trouble. There's something to be said for "simple technology.

Most reliable car I have ever driven

by sarah b from wisconsin | January 8, 2014

This car was my fathers and I have been driving it for 3 years now. The car is bare bones, nothing extra, and it has been amazing, except for a few things. The car is 13 years old and the only problems I've had are the head gaskets going, which was expensive 12 years into having the car, and maybe an easy to fix electrical issue here and there. My Malibu has 111000 miles on it and other than sounding a little old and bumpy when it's driven, it runs excellent and starts well too even in freezing cold temperatures. I need to get a new car soon for work and I don't know if I can give this car up!

Don't waste your $

by Dave from Orange County, CA | March 17, 2012

I had a 2001 Chevy Malibu and it was absolutely the worst car I ever owned. Within ten days of purchasing the car, it blew a head gasket. The warranty covered 50% of the costs, but I still had to pay $700 on my end. Then it had trouble starting due to bad spark plugs and a security feature that cannot be repaired. The breaks wear out super fast. The front of the vehicle vibrates when you hit the breaks on hills. This car turned out to be a total money pit, costing me in excess of $2,000 in repairs over the years. I will never purchase anything from Chevy again

awsome car

by tree lee from peabody ma | September 19, 2010

i had my malibu sence 2004 and i have went from 40,000 to 186,000 miles without one problem. i like the in terior because tere is tuns of spots to but things. even know the exterior doesent ave te best styling in the world.

Low on style but has plenty of other good traits

by A dude in a garage from Rochester Hills MI | August 21, 2009

I bought my 2001 Malibu LS as a used vehicle in 2005 for a decent price of 8,000 dollars Interior - overall the interior has a very well thought out design especially the cavernous center console storage. However the two gripes that i have about the interior are the fact that the bucket cloth seats have no lower back support and the rubber insert in the dash mounted cup holder tends to tag along with your water bottle and follow it out when it is removed from the holder Performance - believe it or not performance for this car was pretty decent for a family sedan. Granted the Bu is not a pure sports car but the 170 horsepower 3.1 liter V6 does deliver some punch especially when accelerating. Likewise for the nimble handling though some extra road feel would have been nice Exterior - This is where the 2001 Chevy Malibu LS falls on it's face. The approach here is simple plain styling and while that might benefit someone who doesn't want alot of attention (a photographer or someone who does not want to be pulled over by the police for speeding). For the majority of consumers it will come across as a very significant weakness Value for the money - this is where the Malibu truly shines it has the highest Fuel efficiency rating out of all the cars in our driveway and it is often used by other members of my family due to it being more efficient than their own vehicles (a GMC pickup truck and a Chevrolet Suburban) Also the fore mentioned nimble handling makes it easy to park when it's used for shopping runs Reliability - So far my car has been very reliable during the time it has stayed with us. However the one area that has been a persistent issue is the brakes especially with the ABS system (a common gremlin in these cars) Overall the 2001 Chevy Malibu LS is a great first car for a young driver or for someone who needs a good grocery getter. However for someone who is looking for a daily driver and is looking for a long term commitment look elsewhere

Overall Great car

by Hopper from Meadville, PA | April 11, 2009

I bought mine in july of '07 and I read several reviews saying that the 01 model was very unreliable, but since I've had it I've had no problems with it whatsoever. so far I've put 30k miles on it and my brakes are starting to sqeal but they just need changed and i keep putting it off. Handles great, gas mileage is acceptable, my only complaints are that my gas gauge is shaky. I'll park it and it'll say I have 3/4 of a tank and when I start it up again later it'll read 1/2 tank and then shimmy around between 3/4 and 1/2. Also I really don't like the style of the car but that's not a big deal to me with a vehicle. aside from that I would recommend this car to anyone. especially tall people (i'm 6'5" and am very comfortable in it). I may look into getting a newer model but I am leaning toward an impala or possibly a cobalt. Still shopping around though.

One of the Worst Cars I have ever owned

by msbizhsmom from USA | August 27, 2007

Simply put the Malibu is a lemon -- at least the 2001 model is of ours and a couple friends of mine that had a Malibu (same year range).

A Very Good 'Utility Car'

by Family Guy from Boston, MA Suburbs | March 16, 2007

I bought this car new in December of 2000 and have owned it now for 6.5 years. We are a family of 4. A mini-van is our 'main' vehicle so this sedan is our 'second' car. My wife prefers the van while I prefer this car. It is a good all-around utility vehicle, not too big and not too small. The back seat is roomy and the trunk is quite large. There have been some reliability issues, primarily electrical in nature, but overall repair costs have been quite reasonable. When it comes time to replace this car I will definitely shop the Chevy Malibu and Impala against the competition.

Malibu

by mali from CA | January 5, 2007

I purchased this car (2001 model) a while ago in Sep 2006. This car is awesome and is very good in milage. I am getting more than 30MPG on freeway.

I love my Chevy Malibu

by Catwoman from Joliet, IL | May 22, 2006

I loved my Chevy Malibu so much my mother bought one too! The car is very roomy inside while still being a mid-sided car. I was looking for a car with enough interior room to transport my elderly Grandparents comfortably while allowing them to enter and exit the vehicle with no trouble. This car was an excellent choice. It has been a very reliable car with few incidents of recalls or repairs. Minor recall for the hazard/flashing lights and also a minor repair that Chevy covered 50% of for the blower on the heater. Chevy also replaced the brakes on the car the first year as the pads seemed to be defective. While these three repairs may seem troublesome, both Chevy and my dealer backed their product and I've been 100% satisfied with my car and their service. Our family has taken the car on quite a few rode trips out of state and all passengers, front and rear, are always comfortable. The car still looks new and drives like a dream. I would buy another and definately recomend it!

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Malibu