2004 Chevrolet Malibu

Available in 3 styles:  2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Decent Car For The Price

by Scooter from Cape Cod, MA | July 24, 2013

We bought this car new in 2004. Within the first few months that we owned it, the steering column locked while driving and we had to have it towed. That repair was covered by a recall. It had two costly brake repairs, the trunk release stopped working and then the automatic locks kept going up and down, even when the car was not being driven. The air conditioning only worked correctly for one summer. We have had to do several repairs on the A/C. If you are driving 35 mph or over, do not put even one back window down most of the way. For some reason, I hear a persistent, loud thud noise every second that it is opened and it feels like my eardrums are being sucked out of my head until I close the window. Opening two rear windows would be even worse. Otherwise, the car has been very reliable and we love how the screen on the dash tells you when services are needed such as when an oil change is coming up and when the windshield wiper fluid is low, etc. It starts up every time.

Good American Car

by Good Midsize Sedan from Miami, fl | October 21, 2011

I own this vehicle for 4months now, it is a good american car. The outside is nothing really to write home about, neither is the inside. It has a very simplistic approach to it, very american. Interior is just enough not to be called cheap. I find it comfortable, and easily sits 5. Trunk space is great, power under the hood also good, picks up as soon as you step on the gas. I get pretty good gas mileage with both city & highway. Would definitely recommend. I bought it used, haven't yet found anything wrong with the car. Great value for the $$$ :)

I would not recommend

by Little Koobotz from Gainesville, GA | July 21, 2011

I bought my Malibu new in 2004. The gas mileage was above average for a 6-cylinder sedan, about 28 mpg (combined). The mileage on long trips was great...somewhere above 50 mpg. The acceleration could be exhilirating, and I enjoyed showing muscle cars what a 4-door sedan could do. However, the cloth driver's seat wore completely through after about 45,000 miles. The seats were hard as rocks. The headrests pushed our heads forward at an uncomfortable angle and could not be adjusted to a comfortable position. The remote starting feature was fun at the start, but did not work consistently. The remote "zapper" would break every time I dropped it, which was easy to do. The car would turn itself off sometimes, while rolling; a simple restart worked every time. The computers shorted out, because I connected jumper cables while the key was in the ignition...a very expensive repair. I just constantly fought electrical battles with this car for over 112,000 miles.

Not a Car I would buy again!

by Beethovenl from Shoreview MN | March 1, 2011

I bought this car new. The trouble started i had with this car started just after i bought it. The brakes needed to be replaced. Then the steering wheel column. I had the car for not even 7 years and there were more problems in the end. The gas gauge was defecting, the steering wheel column was problem again after being fixed the first time and still wasn't fixed the first time, the driver's side passenger was clitching right, the fan was working anymore, the brakes again. The car started as a problem and ended up a problem. I would never buy another one again or any thing from GM because of their response to the car defects that they failed to fix in the 2005 model. I went to Toyota and much happier than this model of a car.

great car begs to be driven

by monalisa from islip,ny | October 16, 2010

Ok, i have to admit I love driving this car. I got it and took a road trip from NY to Arkansas and back and not one problem with it. I drive more miles than your average person too. I've had the car since july and put so many miles on it i'm on my 3rd oil change already this october (only 4 months from the day i purchased it). Handles great and gets good gas mileage. The only thing i don't like about my car is the gas cap. I changed it to a locking gas cap. The old one was cheaply made and i constantly got a replace gas cap notification from the computer, but problem is solved now that i replaced it. also the heater in the seats are awesome on cold days, but the switch is in a bad position on the seat which sometimes gets tripped in advertenly. Also whoever came up with the idea of suede in the seat cushions ought to be shot. Suede picks up the littlest bit of dirt and grime, with two kids i've learned my lesson clean it and put a sheet over the backseat so I don't have to go through scrubbing the heck out of it again.

Pretty Nice Car

by Cardreamer from Rochester, NY | October 20, 2009

I bought this car last september in place of my 2001 Chrysler Voyager and have loved it ever since. It has awesome acceration, nice heated leather seats that burn your "a double snakes" in the winter, nice swade interior, and an auto starter (nice when its cold out and if you have auto climate it adjust auto). You will love this car if you are considering it.

Great car, best one i have

by average guy buying cars from appleton, WI | August 5, 2009

Overall this car is fantastic buy for your money. I own this car and already have over 180,000 miles on it and nothing as gone wrong with it yet. This is a fantastic buy and deal for anyone looking for a used car.

This car is built to last

by cplofvirginians from Manassas VA | December 4, 2008

I love my Malibu, safe and reliable. I get more than 30 miles per gallon. I got it with 26k mile, and now it's 81k miles. the only problem I had is the rotors.

OK car for OK money.

by College kid who really wanted a Mazda 6. from NYC, NY | June 30, 2008

A 4- or 5-speed would be nice, though I understand why Chevy only offers autos nowadays. I've had a few problems with the car since I bought it (used): mostly minor (trunk release fuse blew out), but some major (ABS control module malfunction, bad brakes). I recently needed 4 new rotors at 37K...and since brakes are never under warranty, I shelled out $500. I can't say it 's the car's fault though - I bought it used at 31K from a dealer, who knows how its previous owner really drove it? It's not the sportiest thing out there, but at least it's cooler than a Taurus. It's not a bad car though, it's a good commuter car (great highway MPG on my V6 - 31MPG).

Frustrating to own

by Just an average driver from Boston, MA | May 24, 2007

OK car with a frustrating brake problem. At 38k I needed new brake pads and rotors. Early on the dealership couldn't replicate the steering wheel shake that I was getting, and when they finally could they recommended machining the rotors. That helped for a few months and about 10k miles. The next time it started happening everything needed to be replaced. 2 other 2004 Malibu owners have stopped me randomly at a gas station and in a store parking lot and asked me if I had a problem with the brakes. So it seems like I'm not the only one.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Malibu