2009 Chevrolet Malibu

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Malibu Has Much to Offer

by dryver11 from Salt Lake City UT | July 6, 2014

Purchased-new in September of 2008 and traded in July, 2014 with 80,000 miles on the odometer, I can honestly say that the 2.4 L Malibu LT offers a lot for the money. It handles beautifully and competently; it's quiet, and the fuel economy excels (37mpg, highway). That's enough right there to make it a good choice. Body integrity remained throughout ownership, as did the attractiveness of its styling. The mediocre comfort of the front and rear seats, however, along with electrical anomalies; thick A-pillars; a "Check Engine" light occurrence; watch-your-head entry; a clanging front suspension; and some particularly puzzling engineering decisions tarnish its character. The front seats lack leg support; rear seating is cramped; the passenger door lock failed early into ownership, and the left rear window failed to operate from the master panel on the driver's door but then suddenly self-corrected; the thick A-pillars obstruct vision; a "Check Engine" light came on because of a failed actuator at the camshaft (but anyone handy can fix it for less than $50); getting into car requires care to avoid bumping your head on the roof; the front suspension had an endemic clanging sound (nothing amiss mechanically) ;and to replace a burned-out headlight bulb (which turned out to be an even more complex, electrical problem requiring dealer-analysis), the entire front fascia must be removed (an engineering design that boggles). I hope that this helps you with any buying decision. My Malibu had its faults, but I still think that it was a good buy..

Good vehicle

by Casual driver from Garfield Heights,Oh | February 2, 2014

I have had my 2009 Malibu 3.5 V 6 for about 2 years. I had noticed lately that the drivers seat is coming up and also when the fan is on I hear a noise. I do most of my weekly driving city and some highway. I am only getting like 220-225 miles on a tank of gas combined city/highway and I am not punching it either. I would think I would get more miles on a tank of gas. Anyone else noticed this??

A great car

by Bc from | January 30, 2014

This is a good car it's my second Malibu that I've owned and I am really satisfied. It's great on gas and it has a unique sleek look to it. I recommend this car to anybody

dads chevy

by johnboy from dayton ohio | March 10, 2013

My father has had his Malibu LTZ from day one in 2009, he came from buying buicks. he has 27500 miles on it , Loves his car I get his OnStar reports every month must say very little to complain about. the only thing I have seen his rear tire low air comes on a lot. Over all a very nice car

Malibu

by Car lover from Phoenix | February 27, 2013

Purchased this car private party theough cars.com, I wouldn't do it another way, car is great and I am in love with it. It is very comfortable and reliable. It gets great gas mileage. I couldn't have asked for a better car

typical first year model car problems

by Will A from fort worth, texas | February 5, 2013

I've had my 2009 Malibu 2LT v6 for about 6 months. It's been in the shop 4 times. All the door locks have gone out, seat frame broke(and I only weigh 200 lbs), AC went out, one of the radiator fans went out, the gas fill sensor went out which caused the car to not want to start after fill ups, the car has a constant squeak&rattle from the rear which I was told they may do a recall on but they dont exactly know how to fix it yet. It does have good power, smooth ride, handles nice, and I get compliments on the looks ALL the time, but opt for a year newer or so...maybe the bugs are all worked out on the 2010 and newer ones...maybe.

nice ride, plenty power

by Jimbo from Nashville, Tn | December 13, 2012

Car is tite in curves, very smooth and plenty power. Stylish, very nice on inside and very clean. Really good sound system and features.

Great Ride

by JT from Royal Oak , michigan | August 11, 2012

This is one of the best rides I have ever had .Great engine .You have to get used to the tranny. Ride is very nice .Seat are great .legroom in rear could be a little better.Overall will give it 4 and a half stars

True review

by Iowa Hawkeye from Cedar Rapids, IA | August 10, 2012

I bought my 2009 malibu 3 years ago and generally love the car, however, one major point of dissapointment is the handling in the snow. I live in Iowa and drive 45 highway miles round trip every day to work. This car is terrible handling in snow, even just a little snow or rain. I've bought new tires (which are 17 inch tires and very expensive, something I didn't think about when I purchased the car) and the new tires didn't make a bit of difference. If you don't drive in snow much, this car is great and I love most everything else about it. But I'm looking to trade because I'm tired of not getting around in the winter. Also, gas mileage at the time was rated 28-33 MPG however I have never broke 27 MPG.

Surprise Surprise

by Had no idea from Baltimore, MD | April 28, 2012

I recently financed a preowned Malibu. I had no idea that I would love it so much. I needed a car that gets good gas mpg, and is comfortable. I am 6'6" and have trouble find automobiles that I can fit in, and when I do the vehicle is usually not very good on gas. I was so surprised when I got this Malibu. It handles well and for a four cylinder its got some spunk. I am truly happy about this purchase . Its been awhile since I have had car I was proud to drive.