2013 Chevrolet Malibu

Starting MSRP

Overall

Chevy got it right

by AJJ from Phenix City, Alabama | September 17, 2014

I have never written a car review before, but I will make an exception for this car. Our previous car was a Pontiac G8 GT, so going down to a 4 cylinder is a pretty big leap from a V8. The first model we test drove was the 2.5L 4 cyl. it had pretty good pick up, and we really liked the design and the interior, but we were not sold on it. We stumbled upon the 2.0L 4 cyl turbo charged LTZ model. This model has it all. Beautiful 19in wheels, a sunroof, the rearview camera we really wanted and a whole lot of pick up for a 4 cyl. If acceleration is a good priority, then there is only one way to go, and that is with the turbo charged model. It rides incredibly smooth, Cadillac smooth. The cabin is very quiet, and the Pioneer sound system sounds great. We are big fans of the hidden cubby holes. The one behind the Nav screen, the one under the cup holders, the 2 front door storages, how they extend well beyond what you see. It is so convenient to have the smart keys. Now, my wife can unlock the car, get in the car, start it, drive it, shut it off, get out, lock it and walk away without ever taking the keys out of her purse. A convenient feature if you are holding lets say an infant. The seats are very comfortable, although the back seats are a little lacking when it comes to leg room. The detail in the car is fenomenal. The little blue accents look so cool at night. Comfort gets 4 stars due to the lack of leg room in the back, and performance gets 4 stars because I can't help but to compare it to the G8 GT. It is a little unfair of a comparison, but compared to other 4 cyl vehicles, and even some 6 cyl vehicles, it is an easy 5 star rating. The exterior lines are clean, sleek, and mean. The gas mileage is right around the 21/30 rating. Much better than the V8 I used to drive. You cannot get a better loaded, or performing vehicle for this price. I don't care what anyone says about the competitors. GM, specifically Chevrolet got it right with this car.

Painful

by Amanda from Banning, CA | June 23, 2014

I was so excited to purchase my new Malibu. The style is sleek, elegant, and sporty all in one. The MPG is right around 27 for me personally. My biggest problem is the comfort. I didn't notice it until two days later when my back was in so much pain. The head rest forces your head forward and they are not completely removable. Even if they were should an accident occur that would result in serious neck trauma and possibly result in a fatality. The lumbar section of the seat is not positioned correctly and is rather stiff. I have tried different pillows, reclining the seat completely back and sitting up free style (which is super uncomfortable). I've spoken with 2 customer services reps from GM who passed it back and forth only to pass it on to the dealership which in return said there was nothing they could do. My back is in full blown pain. I drove my second car for a few days and not one problem. Switched back to the Malibu today and so irritated with the pain that I am writing this review to help others make a more wise decision than I did, and will be calling a chiropractor first thing in the morning. Also one other flaw is the massive blind spots. Using your side mirrors is a must.

Best car ever for the money!

by Retired but still kicking from Louisville, CO | March 20, 2014

I consolidated down to one vehicle upon my retirement, and chose a new 2013 Malibu LS at Century Chevrolet. We are so happy with our choice! It is a sleek and elegant car, inside and out, and has plenty of power. The fuel efficiency is fantastic for such a car as this, and there is plenty of room inside for passengers or cargo. The OnStar, XM radio, and MyLink technology features take us up to the modern age. No problems at all, and it is easy to operate. We hopefully look forward to many years and miles with this nice car ahead.

Best car 8 be ever owned

by mali from Lasalle, il | February 24, 2014

My new Malibu is amazing. I love it. I got it for a great price. I had a blast while I waited. The guys at Millennium Auto Sales on Milwaukee AVE are great. We had a blast with all of them. I will definitely go back there in the future. John, Mario, and Primo are awesome guys. Very friendly and helpful. Thanks guys for my 2013 MAlibu. I love it. It runs amazing.

Great car at a great price

by Gm certified buyer from Rockford, Mi | February 20, 2014

I've had this car for a month and couldn't be happier with it. Great performance and great gas mileage. I couldn't ask for more!

Great so far

by tlimbert65 from Northwest Iowa | February 18, 2014

I've long been a mid-sized sedan guy, and have had a variety of makes and models. It's been a long time since Chevrolet made something that appealed to me. This time around, after comparing the 2013 Malibu to the Camry, Accord, Altima, Fusion, and Mazda 6, I felt like the Chevy came close enough that I could feel comfortable buying American again. I've got 16,000 miles on the Malibu now, and it's been pretty much perfect. Gas mileage took a noticeable hit when (extremely) cold weather set in this winter, but by the end of the summer, I was averaging almost 32 mpg. Engine power is good, electronic features work well, interior is comfy if not terribly roomy. Ride is very smooth and quiet, transmission is seamless. No squeaks or rattles. I'm 6'2" and about 240 pounds, and I find the driver's seat comfortable (even on trips of several hours), and don't have trouble getting in and out. The only things I don't like about the car are the poor rear visibility (huge blind spots, difficult to back out of an angle space or change lanes), and the very lackluster standard sound system. Unless the thing suddenly falls apart at some point, it will prove to be the best car I've owned.

Impressed by GM

by GM Killer from SA, TX | February 18, 2014

Let me start off by saying that I own a 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5S. I went to pick my wife up in Phoenix and we left for Vegas on Valentine's Day. This trip went from Phoenix to Vegas to San Antonio, TX all in one weekend. I was very impressed with the interior lighting, the style of the exterior. Now mainly, this engine is a 4 banger 2.5 liter and it is a very strong engine. I could not keep this vehicle from doing the speed limit up and down hills. Mixed driving around 30 mpg, very smooth steering, I kept telling my wife she made a wise decision with this vehicle thus far. I just love the look and the performance GM delivered.

Awesome Car!

by Ringer from Windsor ON | February 11, 2014

Bought this car brand new after owning an SUV for 14 years. Very pleased with the ride, price and reliability of the Malibu LT. Looks sporty but still professional. The interior lighting is sweet!!!! Have had several compliments on my new vehicle and I love it. Keeping this one for a long time!

poor

by Renter from IL | February 3, 2014

2013 Chevy Malibu LT 11,000 miles. For a reference point, since I mention some visibility and comfort problems, I'm 5' 11". The Look: This car looks good inside and out minus a little bit of fake leather. Every time I walked up to the car I was romanced by it's wheels, lines, and curves. The interior is nice. On looks alone, I would want to spend a significant amount of time in that space. One thing that has to be noted; at night there is a reflected light that spans the dash. It is "cool" like I've never seen "cool" in a car. Very nice. The Feel: Things start to fall apart here. The finishes are better seen and not touched. The car doesn't feel well put together. It leads you to believe that this interior would be very prone to suspicious not-quite-identifiable rattles when it hits 90,000 miles. There is a lot of engine noise at lower revs despite its smaller engine size. The seats were fairly comfortable but felt as though the padding was more worn down than it should have been for a car with only 11k miles. The non-adjustable headrest pushed your head too far forward, never allowing you proper posture. Visibility was bad. The mirrors were useful, but looking back to change lanes was almost a waste of time. The Drive: There isn't much perceived power. 1st gear is doggy. The engine was probably fine, but the transmission didn't translate that power well. Traction control was functional. (better that I expected) Other notable comments: The touch screen system in the car was VERY SLOW. It became a large source of frustration after using the car for a couple of hours. I hit my head getting out of the car on multiple occasions, once very painfully. The car seems, in general, functional, but it doesn't hold a candle to many of the other cars I've driven that are close to its size. (Subaru Legacy, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, Mitsubishi Gallant) This car was a bad enough experience for me that I was compelled to write a review on it, which I very rarely do. If you are considering purchasing this vehicle, please weigh it against the competition. The grass IS greener on the other side.

Too many problems

by Nisha from Chicago | January 17, 2014

I bought the 2013 Malibu brand new. Started losing engine power had to be put in the shop for repair. Three weeks later starting losing engine power again and shut down. Car has been in the shop two weeks now and they called and said they don't know what's wrong with it. Dealer called GM and they have no answer either.