1999 Chevrolet Metro

Available in 3 styles:  Metro 2dr Hatchback Base shown

Overall

2 Geo Owner

by Geo Lover from califoirnia | February 5, 2009

Let's be realistic, the Metro is a car you'll love, but it has its weak points. 1. breaking the car is light and the tires small and in a jam you may feel nervous but it has never failed me. 2. If you are large the seats are a bit narrow. I am 6 foot tall 250 pounds and have relatives larger than I am. We put in a 6'5" tall 350 pound 57 year old (butt first and then put the legs in). Leg room, and head room were never a problem. How low the car sat and shoulder to shoulder was, so you stagger the seats and all is well. I have stuffed 8 people into a Metro, 3 in front, 3 in back and 2 sideways in the hatch back area. The breaking improved with more weight. Both of my cars were "totaled" after a HUGE vehicle did not see them and hit them. One rolled with my wife in it, when a HUGE RV did not see her and pushed her off the road, the RV continued on, oblivious to the damage they created. She pulled out the jack, pushed out the fender and finished the 250 mile trip. She had to duct tape the headlights in place on the way home as it was dark. The other one was "totaled" when a beer truck did not see me and hit me head on. The hood got jammed on and we broke the windshield, and hood latch trying to loose it. Both cars stayed on the road for over a year afterwards witout me putting 1ยข into the cars. Sound was a bit of a problem but one of the other reviews says tires fixed it. I don't know if that would be true but if given a chance to own any car of my choice it would be a Metro, and put highly visible flags on it. The fold down seat with the hatchback was nice, lots of storage and carrying capacity. Just don't overload it, it has a low weight rating that I exceded numerous times. The car is tough, dependable and fun to drive. I have 4 kids and we went all over in it. Be careful of the driver's side dash, I put a huge stack of books on top of it and it broke. Once you drive a Metro you will like it and the milage is no exageration. I routinely got 58 MPG and one time I got 68.

Not smooth but cool

by Quick car from Anahiem, California | January 19, 2009

I have had mine for a long time and have had no problems mostely because i added a few things includin 205/45/R16 inch alumininum wheels that really make it handle very well with virtually no body roll and it smoothed out the ride on the highway but it didn't change the city ride much and it got rid of all that ROAD NOISE that i hate. plus the gas mileage i got 60 mpg on a thousand mile trip and get in the 40s and 50s in the city. So that is amazing and would recommend this car to anyone oh and its pretty fast to.

Snappy Car for City and Highway - reliable.

by Mid Boomer small car enthusiast. from Sheboygan, WI | November 21, 2008

I've owned a 1999 Metro LSi for over three years and not a speck of trouble, except the a/c became weak twice. Recharge fixed it even though no leaks were found; any more and my great mechanic will check under the dash, which is an easy access compared to other vehicles, he said. Because I love manual transmissions the five speed gives the four cylinder car a lot of quickness, power, and stability. It performs well on snow and ice; it cuts through regular Wisconsin snowstorms on a north south freeway trip of 23 miles just fine. In town the tires sometimes chirp because the torque and gear ratios work well. This Scuba Blue LSi has delivered 4 - 1100 mile road round trips to Ohio beautifully. Its seats are more comfortable than a 1995 Mazda Protege. Gas mileage city about - 32 mpg, highway city mix 36 - 42, pure highway at 60 to 65 to 70 mph - 42-46, one time it hit 50 mpg on the Ohio Turnpike at 60-65 mph. The vehicle rides smooth up to 70-75 mph. One time I went 80+ just to check. I bought it at 41,000 miles; it now has 78,000. Another owner of several Metro Lsi's mentioned 200,000 miles trouble free. The hatchback with fold down rear seat has let me haul a storm door, make many trips to the city recycling home/yard waste depository with big bags and a tub, haul steel patio furniture home, and more. Easy to self change oil and filter, air too. Anything else goes to an excellent independent import mechanic shop. One thing strange, the original owner got rid of it because it jumps out of 5th gear, a characteristic a devotee told me happens when one shifts to 5th above 45 mph. It still happens, largely in warm weather. My solution works - engage a bungee cord loop from the console to hold the shift lever in place. It only takes minor "presence of mind" to disengage it, but we do well to pay attention to our driving anyway. I truly love the vehicle for its simple quality, the style is rather cool too, but I know to avoid crashes, especially from the side. The car makes me a good driver that way - I don't want to lose it or the occupants. I like to drive and I like this car.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Metro