1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

See Photos & Videos

Overall

It's been a good car.

by Realistic about cars from Eau Claire, WI | May 9, 2007

I bought this car in 2001 used with 33,000 miles on it. As of May 2007, it has 79,000, and has been a good vehicle all around. Maintenance has been done normally, and the car has never left me stranded. It has needed some work over the years (front brakes, tires, abs sensors & module, cruise control) but these are normal with any car. If there was one thing I would say I don't like, it is the blind spot behind the rear windows. If there have been problems with the traction, it has been because of tires. Problems that are noted by mechanics with this car: the intake gaskets will be eaten away if you do not get the Dexcool antifreeze out of the radiator, and that job by a good shop will cost you between $500 to $600 (a radiator flush with the old green antifreeze will cost between $50 and $100, and may keep the gaskets from deteriorating). Also, the fuel tank will eventually rust, which will need to be replaced. If you need to do this repair, buy a new aftermarket tank and ask the mechanic to undercoat the tank before installation, and you should have no further problem. Currently am thinking about buying another car, but this one has been so good to me it is turning out to be a tough decision.

Best car I've ever owned

by Barbi from Ohio | April 13, 2007

This is the best car I have ever owned and every one of my cars have been purchased new. The reliability is wonderful, the comfort, styling, lines, performance, upkeep. Anyone who doesn't give this car 5 stars is mistaken or got a lemon. Of course, it helps when you do regular maintenance.

Worst Car For Teenager Imaginable

by Wayney from Richmond, VA | January 3, 2007

I have had this car for 2 years and I hate it. It's too big and it weighs too much. I have the hardest time parking this boat, I have to back up into all my spots because the car is too long. Acceleration is good in this car I must say, but traction is an issue at times. My parents had to had to replace my alternator and serpentine belt. The interior is very bland and contains more plastic than a tupperware party. If you like a simple American car this is the car for you, but if you're someone who needs something more posh don't buy this car.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Monte Carlo