See Also: 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Bought a 2001 in 2013

by Stelcom66 from Vernon, Ct. | October 23, 2013

I Bought a 2001 Silverado with 176k miles on it in September 2013. The radiator was bad, the dealership gave me a new one which I installed. The heater motor only worked on the last 2 settings, I replaced the resistor circuit. Also replaced the ignition cylinder lock that usually would not turn. All of these were not difficult to do. There's a lot of online resources for assistance. I can't really rate reliability accurately since I just bought the truck. I love this truck, it rides great. Compared to other trucks I've had it's hard to believe it's a truck. The engine is the 4.8 V8, it's quiet, smooth and plenty powerful for me. My first gas mileage calculation was 15.7 mpg, very good for a truck this size and age. This truck will only be used occasionally, when a truck is needed but I can see why others would make this their daily driver.

Most dependable vehicle I owned

by Josh from Phoenix | July 16, 2013

I have taken this Vehicle from northern Wisconsin to Phoenix, Arizona 4 times in the middle of winter with a trailer. Snow, ice, mountains, wind, rain, mud, dirt roads, anything mother nature has thrown at this vehicle it has handled without causing concern. I average about 17-18 mpg with mostly highway driving with a pick up shell on. It fits 6 adults in a very snug fashion. I'm 6'1" and the back seat is not ideal for long trips. I've filled the bed with rocks, full pallet of concrete, and even used it as a camper. My biggest complaints would be ABS, as on steep down hill descents can be rather scary when you need to slow down and the vehicle thinks you're slipping. I currently have 220,000 miles on mine and have had to repair the A/C once and just recently replaced the water pump and hoses. I'll say I'm not for the little trinkets in vehicles, I am more interested in what my vehicle can do and where it can go. It's not a luxury ride, but you can go pretty much any place you want and bring anything you want with. I have the LT model. Having steel bumpers is a nice as I'm not worried about denting or cracking my front or back end when hitting something. It's a tank. A women hit my truck in a parking lot totaling her little saturn, I had a scuff on the bumper. This truck has driven in 117 degrees to -50 degrees and has never had any issues. No highway complaints and zero off road complaints. I drive the vehicle as I got it, no altercations, no enhancements.

Great Overall Vehicle

by voice940 from Nebraska, NE | February 15, 2013

I have lots of needs that this truck meets. First of all, I have a 3 year old, and the 4 doors make getting him into and out of the truck a snap. Second, I heat my home with firewood, which I cut myself. The truck does a great job of getting off road, and hauling the loads. And finally, the truck has a great deal of power to haul both my travel trailer for vacationing, and my flatbed to haul demolition derby cars to and from events. This truck comes with a long list of comfort options, and has been a great investment for me and my family.

ITS SCARY AGAIN !

by ITS SCARY AGAIN !MY from jersey shore | December 25, 2012

My 01 1500 4.8l w/ 208,000 . runs so good , that i just put a $2400 AAMCO transmission in it . A pure "BEAST "

Love My Chevy Truck

by Constructionpig from Dallas, Texas | December 12, 2012

I got this 2001 Chevrolet truck after my last 2001 Chevrolet truck was wrecked. I hit a 60' tall telephone pole head on at 50mph and suffered no injuries. What sold me on this truck was the CARFAX report I saw that it was a 1 owner and where it got registered every year so i figured it was in pretty good shape. I was right this 11 year old truck is a cream puff and I absolutely love it! Thanks CARFAX

Best Truck on the Road

by Educarated from Philadelphia | January 23, 2012

Between the US big three, you can't beat the reliability of the Silverado. Yes, they all have there maker specific bugs, but the Chevy/GMC have the least of them all. If you are a backyard mechanic you can fix most things on the Chevy. They are engineered to be serviced as well as lasting long. Have owned all of the Big three US and a Toyota and the Chevy is the best.

Chevy Silverado 1500

by mike from South Carolina | December 28, 2011

The Silverado 1500 is probably the world's best overall family vehicle. Every possible comfort option is available and there is not a more reliable mechanical form of transportation available. I love this truck.

Uses car for Towing

Inherent Engine Woes Common to THis Year Model

by Tacoma Hater from Lee County, Alabama | October 25, 2011

Overall, this truck is what I would expect from a Chevy truck, having owned three of them before buying this used one. My only complaints are with the engine and cheap interior switches. The engine has a piston slap that, from what I have read, is a common malady with the 2000 - 2002 5.3 L engines, because the bean counters had the engineers remove too much piston skirt material to save a few bucks per unit. 2. The plastic intake manifold is a design mistake too, because it warps over time and causes leaks that require new corrective gaskets (the green ones). That should have been a recall issue just as the Pontiac head gaskets were in the past. Also there are fuel control valve issues inherent in this model that I have yet to correct (minor). Overall, it is a Chevy truck, and I am just happy to have one over the 1993 Ford F-150 I just got rid of. I will probably just pull and rebuild the engine and cure all of its ills when I get time, and put better aftermarket parts in it to correct all of GM's design shortcommings.

Best Truck

by Mark from Boise,ID | January 9, 2011

Bought this truck used with only 17,000 and now have 116,000. I added ram air and dual exhaust which added power and mileage. I have the 4.8 V8 and it has good power along with decent mileage for truck. Have not had in shop other than routine maintenance. Has a ticking sound when first started but I have heard this is normal for this year. Handles great on snow or bad road conditions. Best truck I have ever owned.

BEST TRUCK EVER

by Jose from Riverside, CA | April 13, 2009

I ACTUALLY HAVE 2 OF THESE ONE IS A WHITE EXTENDED CAB SLT WITH 5.3 ENGINE AND THE LEATHER IS GREAT AND THE OTHER ONE IS A DOUBLE CAB 1500 HD WITH THE 6.0 ENGINE THEY ARE GOOD ON GAS COMPARED TO OTHER TRUCKS THE SAME YEAR I LOVE CHEVY IT IS THE BEST THATS ALL I OWN AND THEY BOTH HAVE A GOOD PAYLOAD THE 1500 HAS A PAYLOAD OF 1800 POUNDS AND THE 1500HD HAS A PAYLOAD OF 3660 POUNDS AND ALSO THE RIDE IS GREAT THEY ARE GREAT HARD WORKING TRUCKS CHEVY RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!