See Also: 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

See Photos & Videos

Overall

my silverado is SCARY

by super from | November 5, 2013

All of the chevy engines tap when starting cold . This is not a flaw , but by design . It takes a few seconds to pump the oil thru the engine after starting . after that the rest is history

Professional & Friendly group

by Mom of a first truck owner from Republic, WA | October 30, 2013

We were in truck shopping chaos when I drove into Wendle. A salesman sent me to another lot of Wendles to look at the appropriate truck there. Instead we saw a truck that we really liked. This wonderful saleswoman, Sandi was there helping other customers but she diplomatically helped us too. We got to do a test drive and loved the vehicle both for how it drove and looked. It was a wee bit out of our price range but when I gave them our offer, they worked with us on what we could afford. The whole group we dealt with were kind and professional. Then I decided to get an extended warranty and Don was thorough and great. He ended up giving my son a Wendle cap which made his exciting day even better. Good, honest company. I would definitely go to them again.

Amazing Truck

by Chevy4life from Rochester, mn | August 7, 2013

I bought mine new in January, 2002. Since then I've put over 425,000 miles on it. I can honestly say i think I've had it to the body shop more times than the mechanic. Last trip to the mechanic was 2 yrs ago. I gave him a blank check and told him to fix anything he thought needed fixing. Other than new U-joints which I knew were bad, all it needed was a tune up.

Silverado 1500 LS

by kiper from Milton, WI | May 17, 2012

I just bought this vehicle about a month ago with 116000 miles on it and so far its been a great towing vehicle for my 17 foot boat. My boat loaded is about 2500 lbs. Can't even tell its on the back. The engine is very powerful and surprising the gas mileage is better than I thought. Towing it gets much better mileage than my previous Toyota Highlander which was a V6. If you have to tow a boat I recommend that you get a 8 cylinder you wont regret it. The only thing I wish it had were 4 doors instead. I have the extended cab with two doors and I have kids who sit in the back, so it becomes a littel more of a pain to always make sure the back door gets shut first. I was a little skeptical about purchasing a vehicle with that many miles on it but from the research I have done the 5.3 litre engine in the Silverado's is a good one and I'm hoping will last to over 200000. The only other complaint is the notorious piston slap (noise coming from the engine) after a cold start. After a minute it goes away and from what I am told that is common and does not mean anything is wrong with the engine. So far an excellent truck for my needs.

Uses car for Towing

Great Pickup

by IdahoBob from Idaho | April 30, 2012

I recently sold my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 pickup which I purchased new. It had approx. 64,000 miles and I never had any major problems with it. In fact, it still had the original battery. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Great Buy

by lfb from York, PA | February 3, 2012

Bought new in Nov 2001. Low miles now at 77,000. Just passed it to my 17 year old son. Truck has been reliable with no problems. Routine stuff, batteries, tires brakes etc. Engine taps on cold mornings for a minute or two. Other than that no complaints. It has been my hunting, firewood, and mulch hauler for more than 10 years. Wouldn't give it up.

chevy rock

by iamgenius2 from mobile alabama | November 29, 2011

2002 Chevy 1500 pickup has 150k and the only problem I have had was the heater quit....dealers still dont know whats wrong...so much for service centers. Do not install water pump lubricant/by Prestone...clogs radiator.

Piston Slap

by Nutjob from SF Bay Area, CA | June 22, 2011

I would love this car except for the piston slap. I am very disappointed that GM turned it's back on it's customers by refusing to fix the problem. In over 30 years of driving I have always driven Chevys and have always bought new but after owning this car and fighting with GM over the piston slap problem I will look elsewhere for my next vehicle. I would prefer to buy American but life is too short to deal with a lousy car.

One Solid Vehicle

by Boating and Snowing from Green Bay, WI | January 22, 2011

I'm going on year three with my 5.3L V8 ext cab, short bed Silverado. purchased with 40K and have put on 25k since. I couldn't be happier with this vehicle. It's been 100% reliable withstanding -50F winters in Wisconsin as well as running cool in 100F+ summers. I've had no issues in the snow with slipping, never been stuck in the mud or crud in the woods and believe me i've tried. It can pull everything and anything without any troubles at all. 7500lb boat here and there with no troubles. The ride is comfortable for a truck...especially compared to a few other trucks I've owned. the only knock i have is the fuel efficiency. i'm lucky to get 16-17 on the hwy with some pretty laid back driving attitude. However, for the versatility this truck provides, the milage is acceptable. the interior is very simple and straight forward, just how it should be. everything is within arms reach and well thought out. Definately recommend this vehicle and over three years, i've had absolutley no issues.

A nice reliable truck

by I like my truck from Salt Lake City, UT | June 3, 2010

This truck is very nice for it's price and age. It has always been very reliable for me, without any repairs other than oil and tires.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD