2013 Chevrolet Sonic

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Sporty, Comfortable, Convenience

by GingerLeigh from Chicago, IL | February 6, 2014

I have heard a lot of negative things about small, domestic cars, and was reticent to consider the Chevy Sonic. But I did a lot of research before I test drove the RS, including reading reviews from critics and consumers and comparing the Sonic RS to other small cars. I test drove it and liked it, so I looked online at several car sales sites and found an outstanding deal through this site (I had to drive 300 miles to get the car, though). I am a very large person but find the Sonic's seat and cabin perfect for me. I looked at other small cars - like the Honda Fit and the Hyundai Elantra - but the seatbelts dug into my side. I also had a hard time getting into and out of those cars, but the Sonic is high enough off the ground, and the door opens wide enough that I can climb in with relative ease. I like the heated seats a lot, and the heater runs pretty well. The pick-up on the Sonic is fairly good. The ride itself is kind of rough. I pretty much feel every pothole. The steering is very tight, though, so I always feel in control. And I really like the remote start (standard on the RS). I like the My Link sound/technology system. My Android phone works fairly well with it and I can get and make phone calls easily, though I do have trouble with the phonebook; the car won't recognize my phone's phonebook. The sound system pics up my favorite music app - TuneIn Radio - and the system easily transitions me into and out of the car. So if I'm talking to someone through the car, and I turn the car off and get out, I'm still talking to them when I'm walking up to my front door. No disconnection. I wish the back seats would lay flat, and I wish the cargo space would hold more. Chevy could take notes from Honda about utilizing backseat and trunk/hatchback space better. The mpg is not anywhere near what it is advertised to be. I get about 18.8 in the city if I'm being really good. Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase and feel I got what I paid for. I'm satisfied that the 36000 mile/3 year bumper to bumper warranty follows the car and not the buyer, so, since I bought this car used, I have some peace of mind knowing if anything breaks down in the next couple of years, it will be covered. And the extended powertrain warranty of 100,000 miles stays in effect as well. And with that, roadside assistance. I called Chevy with several questions about the warranty, and a rep was able to help me right away.

Best car I owned

by Turbo from Montgomery, IL | January 12, 2014

I purchased a new car from Advantage Chevrolet in Bolingbrook and I am in love with my new car. Not only are the staff very friendly they helped me find the perfect car that was in my budget. What even more awesome is all the extra features that this car has with out it hurting my pocket. Definitely a nice reliable and affordable car.

Best value for dollar with great incentives!

by camaroxguy from Hillside, NJ | December 27, 2013

I just drove home yesterday, car is very nice and comfortable in general. For a sub-compact it's really great stuff from Chevy. Power is definitely there (I got a 1.4 turbo) and I can't complain with the paint and interior, it's simple and nice!

Awesome performance for a 1.4L Turbo

by Chevy Man from San Fernando Valley, CA | December 18, 2013

Besides already being a GM guy. Let alone at least American cars. So I was trying to make up my mind if I should by a new car...well I did! I shopped around and did my homework thoroughly. For the size with weight, cargo, styling and performance the little Sonic is just the greatest choice. But being the sporty car guy I am i just had to go all out and get the Sonic RS! Unlike most people I'm a color person and really wanted a sunroof so I was all over looking and found one in Northern California. Bright Red and after cleaning and waxing it up it is just plain awesome. It is so nimble, pepy and great to drive. I didn't even know it had heated seats as well as everything u can get in a little car like this..I really don't know where 10 airbags are....but I love to drive my little RED ROCKET! Thanks GM...I love you!!!

Just what the doctor ordered

by City Driver from Shawnee, Kansas | November 15, 2013

Was looking for a smaller car for city driving that would fit in a smaller garage space. So far so good. Am getting 24 plus mpg in city driving. Probably could do better but this little dynamo is way too much fun to drive to be creeping away from stop lights. Got the LTZ turbo hatch back, automatic. It is very confortable in the front seats and a blast to drive. The torgue and pick up is exceptional. Ride is comfortable and controled. Cabin is quiet. Read some reviews complaining about wandering out of lane. Have no idea what those reviewers were smoking. Steering is sharp and precise with no wandering. Lack of Home Link for garage door opening is my only complaint. This is my first Chevy product in many years, what an improvement over the old days.

The Hedgehog

by Super Sonic from Sullivan, IL | September 16, 2013

Great little car. Better than advertised gas mileage. Good power for its size. No wind noise at all, nicely sealed. Enormous trunk for such a small car. Packed plenty of options into this small package. The MyLink radio is okay but not special. They're chewing up your phone data to make things work for them. They should also offer more apps if they're wanting you to use your data to make their radio work to sell their car. The cockpit wraps around you nicely and gives plenty of head room. The cup holders are positioned too far toward the back of the center section between the seats making it hard to reach when you have more than one in use. The steering wheel could have been made of a material with better grip. Chevy could have picked better tires for this one as these give you too much road noise. They grip the road well but you hear every bump you go over. Overall it's a great little car, the negative comments are just food for thought for GM for the next model year.

Sonic is GREAT

by RugerPirate from Wyoming | September 9, 2013

I had been a proud owner of an HHR. I loved that little car, just didn't get as good a gas mileage that I wanted. I just purchased a Chevy Sonic 5door hatchback last week. I opted for the non-turbo 1.8 ltr, and I have not been disappointed. I live in Wyoming, near the Bighorn Mountains. This little car climbed the mountain road with no trouble and was able to pass slower moving rigs on short stretches with no problem. I like the manual mode Auto-stick, it makes descents from the mountains easy without wearing out the brakes.

Fun to drive

by Old fat guy from Kansas City, Mo. | September 1, 2013

I wanted a sports car (regressing to my teenage years) but I am too old and fat to fit in a real modern sports buggy. I came across the 2013 Sonic RS Turbo with 6 speed manual by accident. Originally looking at the new Ford Fusion Hybrid, but then realized that I don't have any children to drive around any more. So instead of spending $35,000 for the Ford, I kept my old sports sedan which wasn't worth anything on trade (2002 Chrysler 300M Special which I really love and is well maintained) and bought the Sonic for $20,000. So, I have 2 cars that I really like and saved $15,000 as well.

Disappointing Performance and Handling

by Kitwick from Grants Pass, OR | August 27, 2013

I recently traded in a 1999 Chevy Metro LSi (great handling car, good gas mileage) for a 2013 Chevy Sonic LT 4-door sedan. Like most newer cars, the steering is soft, too much power assist making it touchy handling on curvy roads and in congested town traffic. Not as soft as the comparable Honda and Ford models I test drove before buying, but not that tight, sure feel. Acceleration through the gears when entering the interstate isn't smooth, feels as though it lugs slightly. I would expect better. Taking my foot off the gas on even a slight downhill grade has little effect with the result that I have to tap the brake a lot. Poor compression ratio? Or in this age of computerized engines and transmissions is that term even applicable? Inside, the interior is nicely finished and the audio controls and blue tooth connection are easy to use. The electric window controls are not. Almost impossible to stop the window from zooming all the way down with even the lightest taps on the control button. Overall, I am disappointed and wish I had considered even more options before purchasing my new car. My dealer is great which was one factor that influenced me, have always had excellent service there; but I have owned the Sonic for two months now and all that doesn't compensate for its shortcomings.

great gas mileage

by Sonic Turbo from Wichita Falls, TX | June 24, 2013

Looked for cheaper car with great gas mileage and luved Chevy Cruze turbo but not price, got same drivetrain and saved thousands with Sonic LT turbo. Averaging almost 38 miles a gallon with combo city & hwy. Sedan has great trunk room for size and love bluetooth , onstar and xm