2013 Chevrolet Spark

See Photos & Videos

Overall

It's a CITY CAR folks

by Moody from Marshalls Creek, PA | April 10, 2014

On a recent business trip to Florida I rented a 2013 Chevy Spark driving it from Miami to Sarasota. Since the car had only 600 miles on it when i rented it, I considered it new. First impressions: It's a city car. Handles corners and quick darts in and around obstacles well. Parallel parking was a breeze and because of it's length I had many more spots available to me. From the outside, the Spark is an attractive car as compared to other city cars. The rear passenger doors are cleverly fitted even if not practical. Back seat room is minimal at best. Due to the Spark's overall short length, there is no real trunk space to speak of either. In fact, my attempts to fit my 40lb, rolling, garment bag suitcase in the trunk caused a malfunction in the trunk lid latch. For the 3 days of my rental i could not re-open the trunk. This car was much more at home in South Beach and downtown Miami than on the highway to Sarasota. On the highway, the Spark suffers from immense road/tire noise, wind noise and engine roar. Well, engine whine really. At no point should you consider taking this car on a journey longer than 2 hours (like i did). Not for a lack of comfort however. At 6'2" the driver's seat was surprisingly comfortable and supportive for me. Keep in mind, I am more torso than leg (33" inseam). Seated in a comfortable position, i had a great deal of head room still available. Most surprisingly, the interior is not a bad place to be. Well apportioned, the Spark has an inviting dashboard with an attractive touch screen radio unit. Takes a minute to learn how to navigate around, but it's doable. The a/c controls are just below this and are much more straightforward. Budget car, begets budget speakers. Don't look for concert quality sound here. The Spark has a rear lit speedo which indicates to 110MPH (ambitious i thought) and an electronic screen next to it which shows....EVERYTHING. RPM, avg MPG, miles to empty, timer, gas level, and tripmeter. All visible through the steering wheel. The interior plastics are generally better than most domestic vehicles. They had a nice feel and didn't look....plastic-y. In general, the interior look and feel is a strong point for the Spark. The weak point? The highway ride and manners. Included in this is the unfortunate gas mileage. I averaged 32.5 mpg on the highway at typically 75mph (84bhp, automatic). Not an unreasonable speed, so I expected better mileage. All in all, I've driven worse small cars, but i think i would've had higher praise for the Spark if i had kept it on Collins Ave.

Ev rocket!

by Chris from Bend, or | April 2, 2014

I just test drove the all electric spark, after also driving a comparable cvt car a week ago. Though both cars look the same, the driving experience is vastly different. I found the cvt spark to be noisy and uninteresting to drive. Efficiency is traded for driving mediocrity- this isn't a car for short on ramps! The EV Spark is a stunning surprise. The extra battery weight makes for a more "substantial" and confident road feel- but improved ride aside, the acceleration is magnificent! Romp the throttle and 400 ft-lbs of torque hits without any delay, all done in complete silence. For urban drivers, this car is a big win! It gets 120 mpge and drives with v-8 confidence. Wow! You will be limited to 80 miles before recharge- but most Americans commute 40 or less daily. This car has great potential.

Oil Consumption Update

by Dandroid from Austin, TX | April 1, 2014

The dealer has me bringing the car back every 1000 miles which is very inconvenient they also claim the car using 1 qt per 2000 miles is OK. Does anyone have any ideas to make the dealership take action? Also since my last review the car is trailing and very loud on the road.

my chevy SPARK

by seren1ty from Castile | March 28, 2014

My 2014 Chevy Spark , needs a flame :( ,,I bought it on a Monday , new, drove it 3 times. on Saturday the check engine light came on , took it right to the dealer, they turned it off, got up Sunday, light came back on, took it back to the dealer with a total of 81 miles, on it , I have not seen the car since , that was 15 days ago , GM is supposed to be trying to figure out the problem, as not only my car has it happening , but other sparks are having the same problem..They GM, is paying for a loaner, plus they said they would make 2 car payments, I haven't seen that yet, What do I do I am feed up with the nonsense, I am 71 and this is my very first new car, WHAT are my options ? Lemon law in NY is 30 days , I am on 15 without a car..

Still Love Sparky

by PMA_Kloo from Holland, MI | March 18, 2014

I bought this car because in my opinion it crushes everything in the category. Just a smidge bigger than an original '70's Mini and it fits (4) 6' adults comfortably while getting north of 36mpg with every modern creature comfort... not a bad package. I am writing this review because I too am having the oil consumption problem. Chevy is fixing the issue at no cost to me and I hope to get Sparky back in action here very shortly. Make sure you get your oil changed every 5,000 miles!! and if the MPGs drop off, even a bit, take it to the dealer! The issue is known and they have a fix for it... heck take it in even if you don't have the issue!! I hope to be driving mine past 250k!!!

Best Small Car

by Lady Spark from Buena Park, Ca | March 6, 2014

I have owed other Chevrolet cars before including the Chevette and the Metro, but this Chevrolet Spark tops them for performance and looks. It has the best looking interior design as the Fiat, the Nissan Versa, and the Toyota Yaris. Plus it is so much for economical than all the other cars of its size. The Spark was available in such a variety of different colors than I have ever had to chose from before. I love my Salsa Red Spark. Thank you Chevrolet for making such a good car and now the cars are built to last.

Saved my sons and my life!!

by cajunbaby36 from Shreveport, LA | February 10, 2014

I didnt know how safe this car was until my son and I were in an accident caused by another driver on Feb 7, 2014. We were hit on the driver side front. The only damage I received was a very bruised and swollen left arm, and lots of bruises from my waist down. My son was only bruised from waist down. All 10 airbags deployed. The car shut itself off. Unfortunately my car is totalled, but after this, I plan on getting another one. I had people laughing at my car. They can laugh all they want now! I know me, my kids, and my grandkids and anyone else in my car will be safer than any other little car. Thank you for whoever designed this funny looking car!

Losing Oil

by Dandroid from Houston, TX | February 8, 2014

I, Like Brit, am extremely concerned about my oil levels. My car is 1.5 years old with 58k on it. I got the oil changed at 56k. Last night the motor started making noise so I pulled into a station. The oil did not read on the stick and after adding a quart it barely showed on the very bottom of the stick which means it is at the very least 2 quarts low. The oil light did not come on.

Oil Consumption-UPDATE

by dyarnal2000 from | February 7, 2014

After six oil consumption tests,the loss was due to a bad PVC valve with a replacement valve cover.So far no excessive oil loss.The good news is the warranty covered the costs.

2013 Chevy Spark

by Britt from Fort Payne, Alabama | January 31, 2014

I bought my 2013 Chevy Spark new in 11/2012 and now I have almost 36K miles on it and up to this point it has performed well, even getting 37mpg. The issue I am now having that greatly concerns me is with 67% oil life left from my last oil change my check oil light came on and my engine was low 3 quarts?? This greatly concerns me since I just had it serviced about 3 weeks prior. I am not taking it back to the dealership before my warranty expires.