2001 Chevrolet Venture

19 city / 26 hwy

Overall

Reliable Car

by Commuter Drive from Columbus, IN | February 21, 2013

We recently puchased a used Chevy Venture 2001 and have been very happy with the results. The van drives very well, gas is not too bad for a V6, it is safe, and all around a fun car to drive. We are very pleased with our purchase.

The Venture drove me away from GM vehicles

by Reality Check from Grand Rapids, MI | August 18, 2012

Bought the LS Extended version new as a model year closeout in late '01. As soon as we drove it home, it was leaking ATF (a Harbinger of things to come). The dealer summed it up as someone on the assembly line having a bad day. Less than 3 months later the motor in the window went out and oil had leaked into the radiator - luckily it was under warranty. Had about 6 years of trouble free performance until the casting broke off on the driver's seat tilt lever - leading to the plastic cowl falling off around the seat. About a year later, the fuel gagen failed (a common occurance in several GM vehicles built at that time). About 3 years ago (135K mile mark), the Venture started developing the rocker panel rustout that victimizes this model. Within the last year I had to replace another window motor, wheel bearings, lower control arms, strut assemblies, tie rod/links and sway bars. The van recently (166K mile mark) went into its final death throes as the engine block failed with coolant pouring into areas it didn't belong. I was absolutely crushed by this vehicle's poor reliability and high cost of ownership because it was always garaged and I took very good care of it. In my opinion, the Venture is representative of everything that is wrong with GM from top to bottom. I have since replaced the van with a new Hyundai.

Greatest Family Van

by Granny on the Go from Wagoner, Ok | April 29, 2011

We had the Venture with a WB package. We totally loved this van. Getting in and out was just the right height, not having to climb up or go low. Lots of windows, visibility good, I had no problems with blind spots. We have three grandkids we raised, the van was good at keeping them entertained with the wireless headsets for the movies, the jacks in the rear to plug the chargers in. While they were entertained passengers, we enjoyed our music while going down the road. The van handled great, we had no problems or complaints. The AC could freeze you out the heaters were fine with front and rear controls. We sold our Venture, the kids grew up, bought another Chevie. Malibu Maxx LTZ, really like it, too.

Great car

by Venture capitalist from | October 31, 2009

This is a great vehicle. I have owned one for many years and it has always been very good. It seats our large family and we still have room for other kids or a lot of sport equipment.

WORST VEHICLE IN THE WORLD

by Mike from | September 8, 2009

I purchased a 2001 Chevy Venture in October of 2000. I gave the vehicle 1 star in each category but in all honesty, the vehicle deserves a minus 10 for each criteria!!! I GAVE my Venture away in 2009 and purchased a KIA Sportage :).

TERRIBLE VEHICLE!!!

by K from Michigan | September 4, 2008

DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL! I have spent thousands in repairs including two transmissions. I bought this van in 2003 and have so many problems I can not list them all. I should have been willing to pay a bit more and bought a Honda instead. Next time I will do more reserch before buying a vehicle. DO NOT BUY THIS VAN!!!!!

Best car I've owned

by Doug from Wantagh, NY | May 30, 2008

I own the chevy venture warner brothers edition and it's been wonderful. With 2 kids and frequent trips to NC from NY it can't be beat. The VCR has been a life saver. The gas mileage is awsome. 31 HWY on my trips to NC

Not bad, but I think I'm done with Chevys

by former chevy owner from Ohio | April 22, 2008

I bought the Venture used in 2005 with 60k miles, drove it alot for 2+ years, after it hit 95k miles, lots of problems. Transmission bad, suspension awful, engine sputtering, heating/cooling system blew TWICE. Once under warranty, and again 6 months after it was fixed (warranty had expired) Radiator blew, Brakes and Rotors replaced TWICE during a 40,000 mile span. Just sort of falls apart after awhile. This was a Warner Bros. edition, so the ammenities were nice. VCR/TV, dual power sliding doors, OnStar, Leather trimmed seats, Back Up warning sensor, Traction control, and ABS were all useful. But after purchasing it for over $15,000 and just 2-3 years later, having a trade in value less than $3,500, It was not a great value for the money. Going with Chrysler this time around...

This car is definitely and embarassment for GM

by Modest Judge of Cars from Lansing, MI | March 12, 2007

When we bought this car, it seemed to be an excellent vehicle, everything ran smooth and the car was quick and agile (we had the short one). This lasted about two years. Then the entire car seemed to die around us. First the fuel sensor failed, which was not that important as you can always use the trip-odometer and the cost to repair such a simple part cost at least $400. Then the engine blew a lower intake manifold gasket and cost $700 to replace (which doesn't make any sense as the intake manifold basically funnels the the air in to the cylinders and should n't have any coolant or oil in it, must be a space saver or maybe a cooling trick.) While we suspect that the repair shop we used may be at fault, the a/c refused to work as soon as we got the car back. This cost another $700. Lastly, just before we got rid of it, the transmission developed an issue with one of its solenoids. Not since a friend owned a Plymouth Voyager has a car been so bad. Luckily this car and the factory that made it have ended just like the Voyager.

Chevy needs to design a car that is durable

by Bob from Colorado | December 16, 2006

My mechanic told me he has seen many of them in for a lower intake gasket replacement ($750). Mine was one of them. Some engineer decided to put the thermostat way in the back so that it's a $275 job to replace a $5 part that should be removed during every radiator flush. Come on Chevy, think about the consumer. Chevy did not design the interior to last long term. I'm reasonably happy with it but it is not a durable van.

Featured Services for this Chevrolet Venture