2012 Chevrolet Volt

95 city / 93 hwy

Overall

First American Car

by Maine Volt Owner from Portland, ME | April 10, 2016

I purchased this 2012 Volt used about 3 1/2 months ago with 34,000 miles on it, My first concern was that the range on electric was only abut 27 miles, which has to do with it being a Maine winter. (Heated leather seats a necessity here.) Also the generator engine kicks in for about 5 minutes to warm the battery when temps are below 25 degrees. My commute is about 12 miles each way, mostly highway, and my office has a 240 volt charger, so I'm all electric most of the time. I did drive about 115 miles each way to MA to see how it goes on the generator, and it was fine. My usual drive mode is Sport for extra torque and "L" for regenerative braking, which gives you deceleration similar to downshifting in a manual transmission car. The Sport setting gives a noticeable boost in acceleration, not unlike the turbo in my Saab 9-3. The car moves well, getting to highway speed quickly and if I'm not careful I'll top 90 mph without noticing, so it is no slouch and doesn't strain to keep up or ahead of traffic. Solid and heavy, goes well in the snow but the low cowl scrapes my driveway apron and would likely get mired in deep snow, but we didn't get much snow this winter so I didn't have a chance to find out. I'm warming to the styling, looks like a stealth battleship. I wouldn't call it sporty, but it handles well with firm suspension. The spoiler rattles, tightened up by the dealer but has recurred. I hope they can fix it again for good. It was a choice between this car and a used Leaf but decided to go with the Volt and very glad I did. Looking forward to trading up to the Bolt or Tesla when they are available, but for now the limited range in electric is sufficient for my daily needs and you have the generator at your disposal so no worries if the battery gets depleted.

Love this car!

by Beth from Pensacola, FL | September 17, 2015

I bought my 2012 Volt, used, 3.5 months ago and I absolutely love this car! Comfortable, quiet, sporty and plain fun to drive. I have a 10 mile commute to work on 45-55 mph secondary roads and get about 40-42 miles per charge so far with eco mode a/c use. I would recommend getting a level 2 charger (which I plan on doing soon) to decrease recharge time. Rear leg room is tight if you have anyone tall sitting in front, but I rarely have riders in back, so it not much of an issue. I find the front seats comfortable and I love the streamlined controls on the center stack.

BEST car I've ever owned

by Energy Saver from Boulder, Colorado | September 3, 2015

I LOVE this car. I can not say enough great things about it. We put solar on our home a few months ago and I'd been looking for an electric car. After comparing the Volt to the Leaf I choose the Volt because living in Colorado I occasionally have to drive longer distances for work. The Volt's ability to switch over to gas when you're out of electric power is great. The only thing I don't like about the Volt is the location of the driver's cup holder. The location makes it awkward to grab. I've had my volt for over two months and I've only had to put $5 worth of gas in it. The solar panels produce enough extra electricity to cover the Volt's nightly charging and I never panic about needing to find a place to plug in. Plus it's really fun to drive. Quick and sporty

Best car for the buck

by volt head from Cadillac, michigan | February 21, 2015

My electric bill 50 a month extra with this car and gas is almost zero in the summer but 30 month in the winter. My drive is around 25 miles a day 7 days a week. Gets 25 miles on electric in winter with heater on high and 38 in the summer. Get around in the snow better them my 2 wheel drive truck. The amount of gas this car has saved me in nothing but incredible also has better handling and speed then my truck ever thought of. Awesome job go put into this car. Next will be my solar cell's this summer, electric company will be paying me to drive around lol.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!!!!

by Electric Car from Aberdeen, MD | November 25, 2014

I want from a nissan leaf to the chevy volt and I love this car it feels solid, quick, sporty, confortable and the battary last about 40 miles and then about 40 miles MPG. Because I don't pay gas anymore and drive about 1500 miles a month this car is FREE!!!!

Very Impressive Car

by Practical Thinker from Durham, NC | November 18, 2014

I moved into this car from a 1989 Volvo station wagon. While I loved that car and wish I could just have it back in a new condition, the experience of owning a car that old may bias my review in favor of my new Volt. That being said, the Volt is just cool. I was weary of owning a Chevy and, a few years back, would not have given them bailout money. Now, I am proud to own an American made car that seems truly well-planned and executed. It feels cutting edge and is laden with technology. It is not fast, but still fun and engaging to drive. I would encourage anyone looking for a fuel-efficient vehicle to do the research about the technology, the warranty, the reliability, and the customer reactions. Make you sure you understand what GM has put into the car and make sure you understand what you will need to put into it to maximize it's value. And enjoy.

Great car, best commuter car around

by MPGeezer from Simi Valley, CA | November 5, 2014

I've had my 2012 Volt since June 4th, 2012. Since then, I've put over 42,000 miles on it and have filled up the gas tank 4 times. I commute 35 miles each way and charge at home (costs about $1) and charge at work (costs about $2.25). My monthly gas savings (with electrical costs considered) is about $200-$220 per month. Car drives great. Feels very solid. Has good acceleration and control. Wish the interior was bigger (back seat leg room is tight). But I'm 6'4" and I can fit comfortably in the drivers seat. (have to move the seat up to fit anyone behind me though). That is probably the biggest issue, which doesn't take away from the car because I'm commuting in the car by myself 99% of the time. Overall, a great car, well built and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Amazing car that is also the most misunderstood

by Zerf from MA | August 26, 2014

I have had my Volt for 2.5 years and 35K miles and I still love it and look forward to reasons to drive it. I will also say it is amazing the number of people that do not know about this car or understand anything about it. Reading about how different the Volt was from anything offered at the time and currently available made is so no other electric was worth considering. We depend on both of our cars to be able to go as far as we need to without playing games and having to plan special routes. The Volt is the car that allows you to drive efficiently with minimal gas use but can get you to wherever you need to go without annoyances. You can read from other reviews here how well the car handles, accelerates, drives and delivers but I wanted to help with the misconceptions you have probably heard. 1)You do not need to buy a 220 charger. It is a nice to have so you can charge quickly but you can work just fine off the GM included 110 charger. 2)This is not a $40K car which I still hear, even back when I got it was not. With most all GM cars you can negotiate, we did, it save thousands. There are federal and state incentives. There are GM rebates. Use them all together and you can save a lot. 3)It is not slow. You are not going to beat a Corvette but you can hold your own against most cars. What is surprisingly great is with a single speed transmission and the instant torque of electric you will have no problems merging in anywhere. 4)Your enemies to range are high speed, heater and hard acceleration. The car has tools in the displays to help you drive efficiently and it can make a big difference on the range. 5)Batteries are going to die and cost you thousands to replace. They have a 100K and 8 year warranties but have not heard of a single Volt needing a battery replacement. There are owners on the forums with over 100K miles and no battery degradation. GM thankfully went the extra step to thermally control the batteries and keep buffers to help the batteries last and the reality is it works. 6)The Volt is an extended range electric. Your gas engine will not kick in no matter what while you still have battery left. When your battery is depleted the onboard generator will get you the range to get you where you are going. It does run on premium fuel but with how little gas you will be using this is a non-issue as far as I am concerned and there are a few engineering reasons why premium made sense. The list can go on but you get the idea, research the misconceptions. Test drive the car and it sells itself. I have found some GM dealers don't give it the attention it deserves so find one that does. Good luck and enjoy.

Super Car

by real oldies 1047 from ocala, Florida | August 11, 2014

I purchased a brand new 2012 Volt Premium at a heavily discounted price. Nonetheless, the vehicle came with a full warranty and the tax credit. I couldn't be more pleased. It has nearly all the features of GM's luxury vehicles which make driving this car a joy. During our first week and a half, we have averaged 145 miles per gallon. I'm sure that will come down as we take more road trips, but for everyday trips around town this is the perfect car.

Former 5-series BMW owner

by Solar Powered from Cambridge, Maryland | May 20, 2014

I have owned a variety of terrific cars including Mercedes, BMW, Volvo and Audi. And some of them were pretty exciting -- like the Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo AWD. My other car is a 2000 BMW 5-series which we purchased new and still own. None have them has been as much fun to drive as our 2012 Volt. My wife and I argue over who gets to drive it. For the first year, we mostly used it for short distances so our overall gas mileage was well over 200 mpg. For the second year we have commuted on weekends for trips over 200 miles. Even so our overall gas mileage is over 70 mpg. (4.2 miles per kw-hr electric, 43 miles per gallon of gasoline, making it clear the extra compression ratio over the Cruze and the need for premium gas is well worth the extra cost). The car is wonderful on the highway and the equal of any I have owned. The fold-down rear seats provide more than adequate space for even a lot of luggage. And the Bose sound system is a delight. The control panel takes a bit of getting used to, and the navigation system is not the best I have seen. But overall it is a terrific vehicle. Hold-mode (standard on later models) would be nice but we accomplish pretty much the same thing by using mountain mode to save electricity for traffic jams and congestion. We bought it new through a Cadillac/Chevrolet dealer, and have been treated with the respect and courtesy I came to expect from high end European dealers. I avoided GM for many years, but am really enthused about this product.