2012 Chevrolet Volt

95 city / 93 hwy

Overall

Super Car

by real oldies 1047 from ocala, Florida | August 11, 2014

I purchased a brand new 2012 Volt Premium at a heavily discounted price. Nonetheless, the vehicle came with a full warranty and the tax credit. I couldn't be more pleased. It has nearly all the features of GM's luxury vehicles which make driving this car a joy. During our first week and a half, we have averaged 145 miles per gallon. I'm sure that will come down as we take more road trips, but for everyday trips around town this is the perfect car.

Former 5-series BMW owner

by Solar Powered from Cambridge, Maryland | May 20, 2014

I have owned a variety of terrific cars including Mercedes, BMW, Volvo and Audi. And some of them were pretty exciting -- like the Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo AWD. My other car is a 2000 BMW 5-series which we purchased new and still own. None have them has been as much fun to drive as our 2012 Volt. My wife and I argue over who gets to drive it. For the first year, we mostly used it for short distances so our overall gas mileage was well over 200 mpg. For the second year we have commuted on weekends for trips over 200 miles. Even so our overall gas mileage is over 70 mpg. (4.2 miles per kw-hr electric, 43 miles per gallon of gasoline, making it clear the extra compression ratio over the Cruze and the need for premium gas is well worth the extra cost). The car is wonderful on the highway and the equal of any I have owned. The fold-down rear seats provide more than adequate space for even a lot of luggage. And the Bose sound system is a delight. The control panel takes a bit of getting used to, and the navigation system is not the best I have seen. But overall it is a terrific vehicle. Hold-mode (standard on later models) would be nice but we accomplish pretty much the same thing by using mountain mode to save electricity for traffic jams and congestion. We bought it new through a Cadillac/Chevrolet dealer, and have been treated with the respect and courtesy I came to expect from high end European dealers. I avoided GM for many years, but am really enthused about this product.

Fantastic Car

by RapidRay from Skaneateles, NY | May 1, 2014

Just got mine used for less than half the price of new with 17k on the clock. Previously leased by a doctor. I love the fact I can drive on electric only most of the time. Took me a while to realize that the battery mileage is an approximation and you may get more or less depending on speed and terrain. The ride is great and I love the quiet so that the Bose system can be heard in all it's audio splendor. I like the 30 gb hard drive that I can pack with my music. Love the Nav system. Blue tooth is OK with my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 as long as I don't use voice for the phone. If you store numbers and names under tags, no problem making calls. It works the same as my HHR. If you use voice, you get a lot of goodbyes from the computer hag in the radio. I can't say much about the climate system cause I am between cold and hot seasons. Got the 240v charger from a GM site at a reduced price. You have to submit your Vin# There is much to learn, so read the manual and try everything to see what it does. So far not much gas used.

Best Car I've ever owned

by Electric Car Owner from Santa Cruz, CA | November 5, 2013

What I liked!!! 1. It runs 35 to 40 miles on a fully charged battery consistently 2. It has a fantastic pricepoint and value for a 1 year old car 3. There is no car like it on the road today 4. It has a huge range and works for any distance and type of driving 5. The looks are fantastic 6. The ride of the car is firm with a tight turning radius, whisper quite and it is very comfortable 7. It comes with almost every option anyone could want or dream up 8. ON Star is superior 9. The feedback on screen about how your driving style is effecting gas mileage. THE BEST OPTION HANDS DOWN. What I didn't like 1. 4 passengers only legally 2. gas generator runs on premium only 3. The entertainment system is not fully bluetooth compatible. I'm guessing this is because Chevy wants you to subscribe to ON Star. They fixed this in late 2012 I'm told. In summary we have driven this car about 3 weeks for 1500 miles. This car rides great and if you drive in a 30 mile radius around your home you will never need gas in this car. If you need to drive further no problem. I compared it to a Prius for driveability and quality and this car is clearly superior. I have used remote free charging stations which are very plentiful on CA central cost. Pretty exciting since I've never had anyone offer me free gas. It is simple to charge and has lots of idiot proof indicators. A fantastic moving piece of technology. I would buy another and look forward to the new generation batteries which are coming and will extend it's electric range by 4 to 8 times. Soon this will be the norm not the exception.

Nice upgrade

by Voltastic from Loveland, CO | October 17, 2013

Chevy has put us on track for the future of travel. The car drives,looks, and performs great. It takes time to learn the heating, cooling system and entertainment controls. Not for people who like simple. Great experience and sweet ride for old folks as well.

Volt -what a great car to own

by cruise lover from Ft Myers, FL | October 14, 2013

We had a Camaro the last 14 years and 166k miles-a dream car! Bought at good price a 25k mile Volt Premium. We are enjoying nearly zero gas expense and expect great GM performance for the next 10 years! Most trips are 40 miles or less allowing us to use just the electrical power. Cars.com allowed us to view any car within any mileage we chose to drive and decided the value was excellent 900-1200 miles away where more units were available than locally. Thanks to all the dealers who use cars.com! We wanted a certain color and found it! Also mpg is 42+.

Love it...so does my wife!

by 1VoltGuy in Kingston from Kingston. WA | September 3, 2013

We love the Volt. We charge it at home overnight for about $1.50 in electricity and my wife drives it back and forth to work and never uses gas! 106 mpg average lifetime gas mileage with 9000 on the odometer. Comfortable seats, quiet as heck, great looking, and keep driving past the 40 mile electric charge and the generator motor kicks in. There's a great app we use from GM to send Nav directions to the car start it remotely to cool it down, lock the doors if we think we forgot to etc! Love it!

They built this right!

by Rock Rider from St. Paul, MN | June 2, 2013

This car is like no other built on the road. It handles like my Acura TL - Type S in the turns and has the same get up and get outta here punch. They should have come up with basic concept of this thing a long time ago. I guess it takes time to do the battery research producing an electric car able to operate in Miami or Minneapolis and climb every mountain range in the nation. The result is truly state of the art technology and a reliable car that's there when you need it, whenever and where ever you need it to go from A to B.

Nice car

by Mr. Green from Michigan City, Indiana | May 29, 2013

Very nice car, sport sedan handling, adequate power,interior is gorgeous.The best part is I use no gas on my 40 mile daily commute.

great overall automobile

by car enthusiast from Orlando,Fl. | March 18, 2013

very well designed automobile combining styling,handling, comfort and fuel efficiency. Certified preowned with only 2800 miles, it drives excellent, incredible quiet and with excellent acceleration and did I mention it's fuel efficiency. I really love it.