2014 Chevrolet Volt

Starting MSRP
$34,185

101 city / 93 hwy

Overall

Never go back to a Prius

by Vinny from Southern California | April 1, 2015

I have 2014 Volt with 18 k miles I average 140 MPG and I just had my first service with oil / filter change all paid for by the dealer. I've owned 4 Prius since 2004 and there is no comparison, the Volt out performs, out looks and has over 3 times the electric range than a Plug in Prius. Everyone I know that has a Prius I let them drive it and everyone says the same no comparison. Not a good 4 passenger car two kids are fine but 2 adults in the back seat don't want to go far. I'm not crazy about the Generator noise once it shifts over to gas but you do get use to it. My Electric bill cost about $1.75 per month I usually charge it every night. My average gas usage is 7.5 gallons per month since I purchased it. If you travel per day 35 to 45 miles this car is perfect for you ! Not that it wouldn't be perfect otherwise but that's the sweet spot you may never see a gas station again.

Great car, if you know what you are buying

by Mike from SF Bay Area | March 24, 2015

We bought a new 2014 volt May of 2014, here it is March of 2015 and we have 25K on the odometer. This car isnt a car you have to worry about EV range and its not a hybrid in the sense of a prius. The electic motor will always power the wheels and the motor is just your on board power generator. We have gotten over 40 miles on a single charge. A 104 mile round trip commute we average an actual 52 mpg. The car hasnt put a foot wrong yet. we had a flat tire once and a rattle that was quickly fixed by the dealer. It is an electric car, you will hear an electric motor running, it will be different than a conventional car. It is not an issue with the car as much as it is an issue with people learning what to expect. The car is very quiet on the highway and with 280 ft-lb of torque it will not disappoint at the stop lights. just remember it is not a race car nor is it advertised as one. Handles and drives great. The display, and infotainment system are pretty good as well no issues syncing phones to it via bluetooth.

Second Volt

by Ghostgs from Colorado | March 10, 2015

We were so happy with our 2011 that we decided to replace our second car with a new 2014. Drove home from Minnesota in very cold temperatures and we were very comfortable. The Volt is a terrific highway cruiser and also great around town. We averaged 37 mpg heading uphill, gaining over 4,000 feet in elevation. These cars are amazingly quiet and smooth. We couldn't be happier!

High cost of charging and poor battery rage.

by mikemaj from Los Angeles | January 28, 2015

I am really disappointed, my issues is the electricity and bogus claims that's made by salespeople/dealers as how much it actually costs to charge the Volt; 1. If you live in Los Angeles charging the car can be quite costly, pushing you to Tier 3 and skyrocket your electric bill. 2. Battery life is really lame on range. 3. With nowadays gas prices it's not even economical to charge this car. Volt is an okay car to drive, but one should consider all aspects before buying or leasing. Performance for a car is a 2, comfort gets a four needs better seats. Interior/exterior gets a 3. Build quality a 2, and reliability to soon to comment. I would not recommend the Volt

High pitched whine when driving - very annoying

by aarentow from Los Angeles, CA | January 17, 2015

I just bought a 2015 Chevy Volt, and within minutes of driving it off the lot I noticed a very high pitched, high frequency, sound (like ringing in your ears) that was coming from the back right of the car. It comes in and out, and isn't loud per se, but it's definitely noticeable and very annoying. This is a KNOWN problem with these cars. Chevy knows about it. The service departments know about it. But currently there is no solution. Buyer beware!

Fun car

by Commuter from Los Angeles | January 4, 2015

I loved my volt more when I got it a year ago. I would still love it as much if it got a longer range especially for LA commutes. The high-pitched wine of the engine when I switch to gas is very annoying. I also have a bad rattling sound which I can't find. I am concerned about the overall quality of the components and am glad I have a lease allowing me to move on to a new car once the lease is up. Overall, the car is fun to drive and a good opportunity to experience an electric car. I don't think I will ever go back to gas.

So far / So good

by bigfish4545 from Cape Coral, Florida | September 17, 2014

I have owned my 2014 Chevy Volt about two months now. Purchased new from a local Chevy dealer. When I purchased the car, the battery was completely depleted so I drove home on the gas engine. Averaged 38 MPG on this trip. I charged the car overnight and haven't used gas since. I traded in a 2011 Toyota Prius for this Volt and I must say the Volt is superior in every way starting with build quality. Chevy advertises 38 electric miles per charge but I am getting more than 40 miles per charge. I have gotten as high as 44 miles but not common. The car is much more responsive than the Prius, actually I would describe it as quick off the line. Fun to drive and sporty. Very quiet. I would prefer to get higher electric only miles but this car suites me well. I expect to buy gas not more than three times a year. I haven't owned this car for long but so far, I love it.

Better than expected !!!!!

by Soveriegn from Cleveland Ohio | September 13, 2014

I leased this to try out an electric car. I have owned lots of high end cars from Range Rovers to Porsche. I want a Tesla but decided to try this out for a bit to see if the thrill of Electric would disappear. Well I love it and enjoy every Mile !!!! The Range Rover and Audi sit in the garage most of the time now.

Truly a homerun for GM

by Tim Tim from Decatur, MI | September 10, 2014

I live in Michigan and bought my Volt on 11-22-13. Since purchasing the Volt I have put 23,000 miles on the vehicle, not a small number. The winter months truly have an impact on my average MPG numbers (winter is a killer on MPG). Since my purchase I'm averaging a lifetime of 65.6MPG; with the latest 13,200 miles giving me an average of 86MPG (honest numbers). I've only had to change my oil once and currently have a life expectancy of 78% on the newest filter - probably another 10,000 miles. The pickup and go is amazing, especially in the sport mode; so much so, it even made my 18 year old nephew smile. The vehicle has given me an education on the wastefulness of my prior driving habits. I find myself constantly striving to get to the next milestone. First it was 60MPG, then 65, then 70; I'm now strive to hit the 90MPG mark before my next oil change. Yes, I realize I'm paying to charge the vehicle every evening, about $1 to $1.50 per day increase in the electric bill. I can deal with that and share all that is good with the vehicle to all who will listen. Most are amazed when I tell them I'm currently at 86MPG. I have even charged multiple times at certain locations for free (free electric = free miles = free money - too cool). I find two negatives on the Volt. First, the back seats are tight. Accommodating my six year old has me moving the driver seat up - pinching even my leg room. Secondly, I wish GM would buy into the 440 charging technology (someone else has that market). I find it difficult locating 220 charging stations, but 440 charging is just a coffee shop away. Overall the Volt is an amazing vehicle and a true homerun for GM.

Revolutionary

by pelicanglider from New Orleans, LA | September 8, 2014

I had been reading about this car for months, and also other PHEVs and EVs, before I made my purchase. The electrified car is the way of our transportation future and I am a car nut who needs to know as much as possible about how they work and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each system. The Volt was the only car in my price range that "checked every box". Since purchasing my Volt two months ago, I don't know if I have ever been this amazed by any automobile. I found an article online on the development of the Volt and it read like a story on the space program in the 60s. The Volt is one, if not the, best engineered cars ever offered to the American public at any price. I have only driven European cars since 1992, but this car has the same quality and driving dynamics that I appreciated in those cars. The Volt just works! This is a high performance car, but not in the traditional sense of high performance. It delivers EV energy economy but still offers the range of a traditional gasoline fueled automobile. That's been said too many times to count, but until you experience it, it's hard to appreciate. The Volt allows you to manage the way you use energy, letting you decide when to use gasoline and when to use electricity. To drive my previous car for 350 miles, it needed about 13.5 gallons of gasoline and those numbers are not terrible at all. But since I filled up the 9 gallon tank in the Volt, I have gone 1000 miles and only used 3.5 gallons! My commute to work is on the high side of typical at about 67 miles round trip. I charge up over night (full charge from zero battery costs about $1.70 at the rates charged by my utility) and then I top off at work just enough to get me home (about another $0.75). If I under estimate by a mile or so, the gasoline engine kicks to get me home. Comparing my cost to commute, I now pay $2.45/day for what use to cost $15.00/day. But driving the Volt isn't just about how much money you save in fuel, there is also an undeniable sense of doing something for the greater good. I know my car is only one in a sea of single-driver, internal combustion cars and trucks, but the feeling is there every time I drive it. This car is revolutionary!