2014 Chevrolet Volt

Starting MSRP
$34,185

101 city / 93 hwy

Overall

Better than expected !!!!!

by Soveriegn from Cleveland Ohio | September 13, 2014

I leased this to try out an electric car. I have owned lots of high end cars from Range Rovers to Porsche. I want a Tesla but decided to try this out for a bit to see if the thrill of Electric would disappear. Well I love it and enjoy every Mile !!!! The Range Rover and Audi sit in the garage most of the time now.

Truly a homerun for GM

by Tim Tim from Decatur, MI | September 10, 2014

I live in Michigan and bought my Volt on 11-22-13. Since purchasing the Volt I have put 23,000 miles on the vehicle, not a small number. The winter months truly have an impact on my average MPG numbers (winter is a killer on MPG). Since my purchase I'm averaging a lifetime of 65.6MPG; with the latest 13,200 miles giving me an average of 86MPG (honest numbers). I've only had to change my oil once and currently have a life expectancy of 78% on the newest filter - probably another 10,000 miles. The pickup and go is amazing, especially in the sport mode; so much so, it even made my 18 year old nephew smile. The vehicle has given me an education on the wastefulness of my prior driving habits. I find myself constantly striving to get to the next milestone. First it was 60MPG, then 65, then 70; I'm now strive to hit the 90MPG mark before my next oil change. Yes, I realize I'm paying to charge the vehicle every evening, about $1 to $1.50 per day increase in the electric bill. I can deal with that and share all that is good with the vehicle to all who will listen. Most are amazed when I tell them I'm currently at 86MPG. I have even charged multiple times at certain locations for free (free electric = free miles = free money - too cool). I find two negatives on the Volt. First, the back seats are tight. Accommodating my six year old has me moving the driver seat up - pinching even my leg room. Secondly, I wish GM would buy into the 440 charging technology (someone else has that market). I find it difficult locating 220 charging stations, but 440 charging is just a coffee shop away. Overall the Volt is an amazing vehicle and a true homerun for GM.

Revolutionary

by pelicanglider from New Orleans, LA | September 8, 2014

I had been reading about this car for months, and also other PHEVs and EVs, before I made my purchase. The electrified car is the way of our transportation future and I am a car nut who needs to know as much as possible about how they work and what are the advantages and disadvantages of each system. The Volt was the only car in my price range that "checked every box". Since purchasing my Volt two months ago, I don't know if I have ever been this amazed by any automobile. I found an article online on the development of the Volt and it read like a story on the space program in the 60s. The Volt is one, if not the, best engineered cars ever offered to the American public at any price. I have only driven European cars since 1992, but this car has the same quality and driving dynamics that I appreciated in those cars. The Volt just works! This is a high performance car, but not in the traditional sense of high performance. It delivers EV energy economy but still offers the range of a traditional gasoline fueled automobile. That's been said too many times to count, but until you experience it, it's hard to appreciate. The Volt allows you to manage the way you use energy, letting you decide when to use gasoline and when to use electricity. To drive my previous car for 350 miles, it needed about 13.5 gallons of gasoline and those numbers are not terrible at all. But since I filled up the 9 gallon tank in the Volt, I have gone 1000 miles and only used 3.5 gallons! My commute to work is on the high side of typical at about 67 miles round trip. I charge up over night (full charge from zero battery costs about $1.70 at the rates charged by my utility) and then I top off at work just enough to get me home (about another $0.75). If I under estimate by a mile or so, the gasoline engine kicks to get me home. Comparing my cost to commute, I now pay $2.45/day for what use to cost $15.00/day. But driving the Volt isn't just about how much money you save in fuel, there is also an undeniable sense of doing something for the greater good. I know my car is only one in a sea of single-driver, internal combustion cars and trucks, but the feeling is there every time I drive it. This car is revolutionary!

Good and Bad

by Scott from Silver City NM | September 3, 2014

I have a 2012 with close to 40,000 miles. I love the car, but I have to give it less than a perfect score because GM refuses to do something about the lifeblood of the system. Almost everything that controls the car is run on the 12v battery, but when the car is plugged in they do not charge the 12v system. So if you are plugged in on a hot day, the system will be running the 12v drive battery cooler, but not charging the 12v battery. If you leave it for a long period, GM recommends that you disconnect the battery and make sure it stays between 14 degrees and 86 degrees. A plug-in vehicle should charge all it's batteries, not just the drive battery.

Car of the Future?

by Waited10yrsforGMshybrid from | August 23, 2014

Good concept and smooth reliable drive. GM needs to extend the # of miles it will go on a full charge before switching to gasoline.

Good for the environment and pocketbook

by Dr. Ray from Cerritos, CA | July 15, 2014

Fits my situation, I drive 14 miles round trip to a commuter train, the almost 40 miles to a charge means I have an electric car most days, I est at max electric rate, it is less than $4 per charge. Since gas is well over $4 per gal, it equates to over 40 per gal. The charge time is long at 120V (12 plus hr at 8 amps) so it is worth while installing a 240V charging system. I have not done so yet, I just charge it over night. But when I need to drive a greater distance, it seamless shifts to the the gas engine. The range is over 300 miles on a full battery and gas,

Volt is the Best!

by I say Volt is the Best! from Farmington Hills, MI | July 3, 2014

The Chevy Volt is the best car I've had. I call this the 4 door corvette that uses no gas. If you compare measurement specs between a 2002 Corvette and Chevy Volt they are very similar. This lease is the second Volt. These cars are easy to charge. Never have to worry as the almost 10 gallon gas tank will go another 400 miles. Quiet, quick, well built.

Fun for a commuter

by 2ndcityvolt from chicago, IL | July 1, 2014

Fun car, traded in a jaguar XK for this an not a moments regret. Have yet to use any gas on my 28 mile round trip daily commute. The iPhone app from onstar is reason enough to buy this car... tells me when it's charged, preconditions interior temperature in my garage; what's not to like?

New favorite

by Nate from Redding, CA | June 23, 2014

It's a steal. Take the price, subtract the HUGE rebates ($10,000 in my state), subtract the fuel savings over the expected lifetime of the car, and it pays for itself. But it is n't just economical - it's FUN! I mean crazy fun! With a/c cranking and three people in the Volt, it rockets away from a stop to about 40mph. The technology is fabulous (as in, "I need to write fable about it") and it handles all kinds of things automatically, yet logically. I didn't like its appearance when I saw it online, but go see one in person, especially red. It's sporty and gets looks. Why would anyone buy a hybrid when this is available? They THINK the Volt costs more (no) and that it only gets 37 mpg (no, that is after 40 electric miles that cost 1/4 the gas miles). Most days I drive less than 4o miles and use no gas at all.

Best car ever

by Volt fan from Nebraska | June 13, 2014

Have had for one month. 900 miles so far and I've only used 1.5 gallons of gas. Total mpg is 504 so far. In town mpg is over 8,000. Whisper quiet and smooth. HIGHLY recommend this car.