2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Available in 2 styles:  2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr FWD shown

20 city / 25 hwy

Overall

"BEST NEW CAR I EVER BOUGHT, I DIDN'T NEED"

by Bob from Waleska, Georgia | November 2, 2014

Can't let go of it. I've got original spec sheet from window of my 2001 PT Automatic, Unlimited, Red, (original chrome wheels), which are beautiful as day (I) picked it up at the dealership. It has my name on it with ("MAKED FOR)r", ('MY NAME') stated on it. I'm holding onto it with the hope it may be worth more as a One Owner, Authenticated Antique. It has 230,000 miles on it and has same great power as it did on day one. Looks like new. I drive it every day. CHRYSLER HAS MADE A bad MISTAKE BY NOT CONTINUING THIS VEHICLE. THERE'S A MARKET FOR IT----check out competition for PT' Legacy.

Lame, but Indestructible

by Ready to upgrade from DC area | April 17, 2014

There are many reasons to buy a car, but fewer reasons to beat one into the ground. I got the car with just under 190K miles on it (base model, automatic). From day 1 I loved the little car. Wide panel under the dashboard which is great for people with long legs (KNEES DON'T BANG) and the controls are different, but easy to keep track of. I had a bad luck streak for some time; being run off of the road and such...if YOU know what you're doing, this car WILL handle exactly the way you want it to (traction control does its job). The timing belt went out on me a few years ago, but with no motor damage and the thing is still kicking. Unfortunately, the car has NO getup and go, nor has it ever. If you're ok with not accelerating at all, these cars are perfect for you. Yes the turning radius is ridiculous, but these cars will fight as long as you've got its back. I'm preparing to part ways with mine at 242K+ miles, and am not disappointed. It's sturdy, but approaching its deathbed. Not flashy, but has never let me down.

Love my cruiser

by Cruiser fan from Henderson Kentucky | November 30, 2013

I bought my limited edition cruiser new in 2001! It was love at first sight for me, I had to have one. It's been my ride or die road dog for 12 years. Has a little over 100,000 miles on it now but we're still going strong. Backed into a pole, repaired it, still going! Deer recently ran into the drivers side of it, it protected me, the door absorbed the hit and I was not hurt, repaired it, still going strong. It's a BEAST! LOVE my cruiser! I haven't seen a car ( that I can afford) that I like better, so I just keep on driving it! Sure I've had to fix a few things off and on over the years but nothing that I would consider excessive! It's been a fun car to drive I have NEVER regretted purchasing it and if they were still making them I would probably purchase another. My favorite thing about it is it doesn't look like every other vehicle on the road, I like that it's different! I recommend it to anyone wanting to drive a really cool looking car! All these years later people still ask me about it and comment on it's good looks! TEAM LOVE MY CRUISER!! :)

2001 PT Cruiser, 5 spd, Great car fun to drive

by PT Fan from Pompano Beach FL | October 2, 2013

I have had my P.T. for 9 years, this is a great car and so much fun to drive. Its spacious inside, very comfortable, great on gas and looks great. I have 125,000 miles and have been told by chrysler this can run strong past 200,000 miles. Yes some repairs are pricey but what car isn't these days. Wish they still made this iconic car :(

Unable to Repair at 110,000 Miles

by Ordinary Driver from Wauwatosa, WI | July 25, 2013

Overall, I enjoyed the car. It's very comfortable. I liked the style. It's much roomier than it looks, especially the cargo area. I was once able to get a full sized stove in the back with room to spare. Performance meets my needs. I've driven peppier cars, but power and handling have been more than adequate. Reliability had been OK, but parts tend to be costly so individual repair bills may be high. The fatal flaw with this car has been availability of parts. A section of the sub-frame, which cradles the engine and anchors the suspension, has broken due to corrosion and cannot be replaced. My mechanic and I have been working with Chrysler to get the part for 35 days without success. They're now telling me that it won't be available for at least another 25 days. I'm not confident, at this point, that the part will ever arrive.

2001 Pt Cruiser 2.4L Automatic Naturaly Aspirated

by alkamist from Chicago Il | May 11, 2013

I'll start by saying this was an impulse buy and I got it cheep. Needless to say I did not do any research on these vehicles prior to buying it. It had 165,000 miles on it at purchase. Pros: Its a fun car to drive. Stylish exterior. Highway you can expect about 25 maybe 26 mpg. Comfort is decent, 4 average sized adults should seat with no problem. Plenty of anchors in back for car seats. I'm 5'10" my head is close to touching the roof when I drive at 6' this may not be the car for you. Road nose is a little loud but not to excessive most likely do age of vehicle. Supriseingly peppy drive train, not a sports car by any means but it can get out of its own way. It has a fair amount of storage space with fold down rear seats that can be removed. However seats way about 100 lbs so not really something I want to do. Cons: If you do intend to buy one have a reliable mechanic go over it specifically the suspension and steering. I bought mine knowing the water pump was out on it. I've been a diesel mechanic for 15 years so didn't think much of doing a little repair work myself. Picked the car up brought it home and found out why they sale so cheep. A water pump on these things will take an experienced mechanic in a fully stocked shop at least 8 hours. Along with water pump you'll need to change the timing belt and tensioner. You'll also discover more often than not they need lower control arms, and engine and transmission mounts because the bushings are all blown or dry rotted. While your at it tack on tie rod ends. That covers most of the front end now for the back, watts links ,tie rods and shocks for starts. Found out the a/c evap core is bad in mine. No kidding the entire dash needs to come out to do this. Very extreme DIY vehicle. The alternative is shop rate currently $150 per hour. The water pump and timing belt your looking at a $1500 at a shop. The DIY route will cost you around $2000 for everything I've mentioned and a few long weekends. All in all parts alone exceeded blue book value. Back to the car side mirrors are a bit small and rearview is blocked by second row head rest lots of blind spots. Car's dependability has not been an issue as of yet but I have done all this work to it and I've only put 500 miles on it as of right now. Hope this helps

Solid car really enjoy it

by Rubydo from Crofton, BC Canada | January 7, 2012

I bought my 2001 Special Edition PT Cruiser in April, for an excellent price from a small car dealer. We use this vehicle primarily for pleasure, but I will use it once a week to drive to work. Yes, if you are lead footed on the gas pedal, kilometre(mileage) can be rather poor. Highway driving it is okay. The car is wonderful to drive, I have just had to put in a new battery and got the front brake shoes replaced. I love the chrome wheels too. Leather seating is so comfortable to ride on. The engine gives me good get up and go from a standing start. I will check and see how the timing belt looks, it was changed at 96,000kms. My son is a good mechanice so I will have him periodically check on important issue that my arise. It is a deep red color and the paint is still exceptional. I traded a 1994 Ford Tempo for it and I hope it will serve me well for a few more years.

Best 2001 Chrysler I've Ever Owned

by GoodGood Cars from L.A.,CA | November 15, 2011

I love my 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition Interior i love the chrome wheels on this model the leather seating the radio the steering wheel where the door handle is and shaped all the storege and cargo board in the trunk. Exterior i love the shape that the front end is shaped i love the grill how it is shaped i like how the door handles are and the back lights are shaped and the back up lights are on the bumper and it says PT Cruiser on the door i love that it says it on the door and the hood shape. Performance I love the V4 engine one time i was on the highway in a 65 miles per hour zone when i speeded up and the engine made a very big roar i wish i had gotten the turbo convertiveble instead.I HAD THIS CAR FOR 9 YEARS WITH 189,893 MILES ON IT.

Good, solid, and gas efficient

by Greeneyed Lady from Orrtanna, PA | November 15, 2011

Got this car as an everyday driver because my Explorer has tons of miles and sucks down the gas. Great little car for scooting' around town, on the highway. Of course not great on backwoods roads, but I have the Explorer for that. Would recommend to family and friends. Has lots of interior compartments to put stuff. The seating is nice and versatile. Can remove and or fold down all seats (except driver's of course) for cargo room. Driver seat sits like a SUV rather than a car. You sit up and can see out easily. Overall nice car.

The worst car I have ever owned!

by val from Maui | July 28, 2011

I have had this car for 5 months and driven it for less than 3,000 miles. The gas mileage is more like 17 around town. It has a bad turning radius compared to my Chevi Van. It is in great shape and fun to cruise around with the sun roof open for sure. No need to use the air conditioning. Came with a great car fax. Unfortunately I did not look to see if the timing belt was changed as it had over 80,000 at purchase. The cost and time of this mistake is so astronomical there could be no recovery at resale.

Featured Services for this Chrysler PT Cruiser