2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser

21 city / 27–29 hwy

Overall

Excellent Chrysler product

by Paul from | March 17, 2014

I purchased this PT Cruiser GT brand new in 2004 and never once regretted this decision. The car looks amazing and has power to spare. The heated leather seats quickly become one of my wife's favorite features. The interior is very roomy and adaptable. The rear seats can be folded, rotated forward, or removed from the vehicle entirely to allow room for large items. The front passenger seat can fold flat for additional room or as a flat surface for laptops, etc. Fuel economy has been fair (and within Chrysler's estimates)with mixed driving averaging 25mpg.Highway driving has been a little over 28mpg.

It will not ever happen again

by Ed. Doc from HARVEY, IL. | November 10, 2013

Very good power, but noisy front end, not comfortable at all, just paid out over $2,000.00 for front end work that most cars do not ever have to have done. I really think I purchased someone elses LEMON. I did not do enough research on THE PT CRUISER. "MY BAD"

Best Service Ever

by Bahama Mama from Cocoa Beach, FL | May 24, 2013

Rick was amazing, not at all pushy. He listened to my needs and made it possible for me to get an excellent car with the finances I had available. The car is in extremely good condition, not a scratch in the paint. Inside was in just as good shape. It's obvious the previous owner took great care of the car. The car runs well and is great to manuever in traffic. I couldn't be more pleased with the car.

Turbo HO

by wecycle from cntral CA | August 3, 2012

15 flat 1/4 mile Had to tighten the setscrew on the shift knob. Needed new front brake pads at 85,000 miles The timing belt replacement was abear of a job.

PT Cruiser GT HO Turbo 2004

by Trained Technician from California | February 9, 2012

When I was 5 years old I told my parents that I would design a car like the VW that had the engine in the front and the gas tank in the rear, well Chrysler did it for me, My brother owned a panel van that he drove to go surf in and I use to be envious of because of all the room inside. The PT designers incorporated some of its style from the delivery panel van. PT (panel truck) Mitsubishi made the Dodge/Plymouth Colt Vista Wagon that is really popular still in Japan Some know it as the Expo or Space Wagon Well that is still a very popular design here in the States because it is such a great all around vehicle . In Fact they were designated as a MPV Multi-Purpose Vehicle but Chrysler designated the PT Cruiser as a Truck for help with their Cafe standards, The PT is actually more like the Expo than any other vehicle I've seen except it has more Style. The PT is extremely aerodynamic and they suffer very little in any windy road conditions. The engine is one of the longest stroke gasoline engines that were in production, and it has a tremendous amount of torque, but it is hard to match a transmission to an engine that has this type of power band ratio, and without forced induction of intake air to match the compression ratios (turbocharger) the engine got a reputation that no one on the road wanted to be behind one especially driving up a hill. The combination of a turbocharger and the Autostick transmission the PT turned into a Porsche in 0 to 60 in 6 seconds The Autostick transmission was like something used by VW also but with the PT the transmission has a failsafe built in that doesn't let the driver go over redline and will protect the engine by shifting for you in manual mode if the maximum RPM is met in the gear you have chosen. Another safety feature that Chrysler gave the 2004 PT Cruiser GT was equal length drive shafts and traction control, this controls torque steer, a physical characteristic of FWD vehicles that you feel during acceleration because the drive wheels are also the wheels used to steer the car, and without this feature you feel a noticeable difference in the ability to hold on to the steering wheel in a corner while using the gas pedal at the same time. The PT cruiser also has an advantage of being a car that was produced in record numbers. Many models of vehicles that if they are discontinued have a limited supply of their specific Model replacement parts, and the PT shared its production assemble with other Chrysler models. The point being there will be replacement parts available for these cars for a long time.

touring turbo

by G man from los angeles California | January 19, 2012

I bought it use on 06 with 32,000 miles, great Overall is a great car. Poor mileage for being a small car, but great to drive. Response great, I have a heavy feet I have never been disappointed on the performance I have race vs mustangs and wana be racers and have smoke them, also a great head turner having that said the cons about the car is checking the oil levels as the turbo wil eat the motor oil and lead to head gasket problem I can't blame the car its the owner fault. I'll definitely keep my car forever I love this car. I have own other cars before and they can't compared to this car I use this car for going to work and local commute just check ur oil levels every month and u will do great

PT for me

by BEAR from Owego,NY | December 20, 2011

Roomy and comfortable, handels great, peppy,nice ride,love the body style. Interior is ergomomic, Coontrols are well placed and easy to use. Only one negative and that would be the music system. There is room for improvement in this catagory.

Dependable and good on gas

by car for college student from Inglewood, CA | October 22, 2011

I have had 2 great experiences in looking and finding a car using cars.com. The dealerships and the personnel were very helpful and made you feel very important. I would use this site again when I am looking for another car. The car drives really well, has great features, and is very good on gas which is important for me as the car is for a college student

One problem after another

by 04 pt owner from Hampton Roads, VA | August 1, 2011

I bought this car with 8k miles on it in 2004, kept it regularly maintained and less than a year later I had to change the brakes and rotors and the mechanic said I had a small oil leak. A year later I had to replace the tires and the oil sending unit. The car had barely been driven all that time and had less than 20k miles on it! Now it barely has 90k miles on it and the engine has failed, I just replaced the head gaskets, timing belt, plugs and wires, thermostat, and it just had an oil change less than a month ago. I've put more money in this car than its worth. DO NOT BUY ONE!!! Look up the PT Cruiser forums and you will see how many people have had problems with them.

Great car

by PT Owner from Altoona, FL | January 4, 2011

This is one of the best cars I have owned in its class. I have had no issues with it and have kept it maintained. It has been driven on lots of trips and is enjoyable to own. The gas mileage is not what some people expect (22mpg), but it handles very well in sand (Florida) and in snow (Michigan). The body style makes it easy to see traffic and there are no real blind spots. I would buy another one in a heartbeat; I have owned this car from day one.

Featured Services for this Chrysler PT Cruiser