2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser

See Photos & Videos

Overall

CruiserNoMore

by CruiserNoMore from Gaithersburg, MD | March 6, 2014

I really did love my 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition for the first few years I drove it. I bought it used in 2009. The style is perfect, but the size difference between front and back makes turning and parking difficult. I've checked more curbs than I should admit. Mine didn't have Turbo, so it wasn't the best at ramping up to highway speeds, but otherwise the performance was fine for me. My friends complained that the backseat was uncomfortable, especially for tall people. Passengers get really confused with the center control of the windows, but I liked it. YMMV. I never had electrical issues with this car. I found the cargo space with seats up to be very roomy for hauling groceries, boxed furniture, bricks, a commuter bicycle, bags of compost and soil... you name it, I've hauled it. I've moved halfway across the country in this car, twice. The cruise control and heat always worked great, which I find essential. Keep in mind that I always had the car regularly maintained, tuned up, oil change, whatever it needed. Here were my non-routine maintenance issues: The wheel bearings began grinding/moaning after about a year, especially when trying to turn or go over speed bumps (before I started hauling heavy gardening items, I swear!). I had a recurring problem with the fuel pressure/O2 sensor/some mystery thing that brought on the engine light intermittently. I had a problem with the AC, but I don't recall what the cause or solution was. I know that it made the car to feel like it would stall if I tried to run it. I'm not big into cold, so I didn't put huge priority on fixing it until my friends complained. In the last year, most of the motor mounts had to be replaced, lest the engine shake the car apart. The radiator fan assembly died in rather epic fashion, thank you. Lastly, the engine would die when I hit a bump on the highway. This was most likely due to battery connection issues. A year ago, the same thing happened, but the terminal oozed green corrosion from a clearly damaged terminal. This time it wasn't visibly obvious. I took it as my final sign that I'd spent too much money on this beast already. Sold to a dealer, and I'm done with unreliable cars!

Dependable Workhorse

by Breez from Daytona Beach, FL | November 7, 2013

I just purchased my second pre-owned Cruiser, which says a lot about how much I enjoy the car. My first was a 2005 Base model (5-Spd Man) with 9800 miles, and my current one is a 2006 Limited (5 Spd Man) with 24,000 miles. First off, what a difference in styling and standard features that come with the Limited. Great comfort and pleasant to drive, and I've always loved the "gangsta" retro '30s styling. When I traded my 2005 it had 172,500 miles on it giving much credence to its reliability and dependability. I averaged 28 to 32 mpg on Florida highways and country roads, so no disappointments there. Engine performance totally on par for a 4-Cyl engine with smooth, strong acceleration going through all 5 gears. As far as any major maintenance is concerned I changed the oil religiously at every 3000 miles, had to replace an A/C Evap Valve around 50,000, the timing belt at 97,000 miles (average life-span), and maybe two tune-ups. Had to put in a new clutch assembly around 30,000, most likely due to the original owner not knowing how to drive a stick (reason given for why it was traded in at such low mileage), and the clutch being self adjusting to point of failure without much warning. Anyway, ended up getting a whole new tranny out of the deal under warranty. Cargo capacity is more than ample, and rear-seat configuration change options are top-notch. I scuba dive and fish a lot and there's more than enough room to transport all my gear and coolers full of adult beverages with plenty of room to spare. All that being said, as long as there are PT Cruisers on the road, I'm going to be in one of them.

Great Car

by Love My Car from Lawrenceville, Ga. | October 28, 2013

So far I really have enjoy my purchase of this PT cruiser. I feel that the car has been taken care of by previous owners. I LOVE my little PT cruiser. From body style to the performance. Excellent vehicle.

Great Retro Fun

by DGS49 from North of Pittsburgh, PA | March 6, 2013

I bought this car 2 months ago - it's an '06 GT with the Getrag 5-speed, and had 55,000 miles on it when I bought it (I bought a 36 month MOPAR warranty). I am driving it to work daily, about 120 miles/week. I'm averaging about 22mpg or a little better with 89 octane, taking it relatively easy on the throttle. The performance is excellent, handling is good, and it has the feel of a nice, solid, sporty car. It was very well taken care of by the previous two owners, and it is visually like new. No problems yet. I was a little bit foolish in buying it exclusively based on internet information and reviews - I hadn't even sat in one before I went to the (out of state) dealership to pick it up. My only dissapointment has been the seating position. It feels too high to me, and the seats are not very comfortable or supportive. In fact, I can't pull up too close to traffic lights because I have to scrunch down to look up and see when the light turns green. But the car looks and drives great. I've had several compliments, and I have no regrets. The flexibility of the interior has also been a plus, as I often have to load up with golf clubs, boxes, suitcases, and such, and there is always a configuration that suits my needs. I like the small exterior size, too, which leaves plenty of space in my garage. In my opinion, the poor resale value is a real plus. I would not hesitate to recommend that someone find a low-mileage, clean used one, as a good everyday driver.

Great fun! Turbo is great!

by ChopRod from Coulumbus, Ohio | February 7, 2013

Have owned for two years and no problems, Its a GT convertible with the high output 230hp engine. Boy what a difference that makes. Have driven other non-turbo models with average performance. Sort of blah. But the turbo changes its personality completely- for the good. Power heated leather seats add to the comfort. It has the AutoStick but why bother it shifts nicely by itself. Read where they put heavy duty axles and some beefed up suspension components on the GT models. Feels nice and solid. Bumps at slow speeds gives some cowl shake but doesn't at higher speeds. A lot smoother than a friends Mustang convertible which doesn't have a roll bar like the PT does. Easy folding power top plus it has a real rear glass window with defroster. Extra inner lining makes for quiet ride with top up. Really nice to have a power window switch to lower and raise all windows simultaneously. Have averaged 23.3 mpg with light cruising. A lot of times its around 20-21- too tempting to give it more throttle to feel the turbo rush. Top of the line models always seem to perform better overall than base models. For fun and easy cruising, the GT with the high output turbo is the way to go!

sharp

by Tombyrd from North Port FL | January 20, 2013

I'v had the PT Cruiser for one month,and like almost everything about it. However I don't know if there's any way to improve the shoddy gas mileage performance approx. 20 MPG avg.It loves gasoline. I used to have a Saab convertible that got 30 mpg on the highway so I guess I'm spoiled. So far this is my only comlpaint.

STYLISH AND EFFICENT

by OLD SCHOOL DRIVER from Long BeaCHM, CA | January 12, 2013

I enjoy driving mytouring cruiser, it very easy to manuever, looks great the sound system is great and the interior is comfortable

Worst Car I ever Owned dont buy one

by akajondoe from MAnor | August 31, 2012

I bought a 2006 PT cruiser years ago and regret ever setting eyes on it since then. The car was used but only had around 23k as I bought it from a college kid that only used it to go back and fourth to school. Honestly it was the most money I had ever spent on a car and I was hoping to get many years out of it. The AC went out at 32K and the motor finally burned up at around 45K. We took it to a shop but didn't bother to put another motor in it. Funny why Chrysler never warrentied these poor cars past 30k The car had zero getup and go but because it was a standard we learned to shift it better to make up for the cars poor acceleration. Seats were very uncomfortable on long car rides. Backing up at night was a pain because the reverse lights were all but a joke in the amount of light they put off. I doubt I will ever buy another Chrysler product.

WingNut

by Cruise from Greenville, SC | March 19, 2012

I couldn't ask for more in style and comfort. It's great. It's a 4 cylinder and the mileage is acceptable, but it's not speed demon, or power horse. I absolutely love it. Have a drop top and it's the best.

Run Away Quickly

by The Real Deal from Houston, TX | January 2, 2012

This car has given me so many problems. The radiator fan on this car is total garbage. I have replaced four of them. The A/C system always gives me problems and the oxygen sensors always give me problems. I would not recommend this car to any friend of mine. I would recommend it to my enemies. They will be in a life of misery. I do not know how it is going to run from day to day.

Featured Services for this Chrysler PT Cruiser