Schmelz Countryside VW Saab

Service 866-627-8488

Family owned and operated since 1966

SAAB 9-5

by from Sioux Falls, SD |

I am always anxious when it comes to buying a new car. As a busy physician, I don't have time to endure negotiating much. I've recently had a great experience with Schmelz Countryside. They gave me an upfront excelent hard number and a reasonable value for my trade-in. My family and I are very happy with our SAAB 9-5. I can't speak highly enough of Chris Nadig and Jonathan Schmelz. Not only Chris was able to get me the deal I wanted, he made the entire experience pleasant. I live 4 hours away from St. Paul; and I and had my new vehicle delivered to me by Chris. Thank you! Hopefully, my extra set of wheels and tires will arrive soon!

Love our new Jetta!

by from Lake Elmo, MN |

had a fabulous experience with the dealer. My husband and I had shopped many other dealers and they were the only ones that fully explained the different vehicles to us. We ended up purchasing a 2011 Jetta. The salesman Mike really did his best to make sure we found the right car for our situation. My husband has a very long commute and the diesel engine has been a big improvement over our previous corolla that we traded in. The whole process was a very pleasant experience and we will recommend this dealership to all our friends and family! Heather

The main reason I got rid of my VW

by from Minneapolis MN |

Unbelievably careless customer service in most areas. I didn't buy my car from there because I couldn't make the deal work. This dealership is the closest VW dealer to my home. I found another dealer that saved me approx. $3k dollars and was an additional 25 miles away. Thats a no brainer on whose getting the sale there. I still wanted to service my car at the closest dealership though. The service department staff other than Elizabeth (serv. Mgr) is pretty good but they just tell you what you want to hear so you'll leave them alone. Brought my car which I really enjoyed, other than its constant problems to them at Schmelz to get service/recall work done. They couldn't get it done that day and needed to get parts or something so I had to leave the car, get a ride home and then a ride back when the car was done. That was annoying but, not as annoying as seeing a scratch over 2ft long on the pass. side of the car when I came to pick it up. I was told they could try and buff it out but Elizabeth said that was done elsewhere not at the dealership but I had pics of my car taken in their lot when I dropped it off the day before because I just had a hunch my car wouldn't be kept safe there even locked in their fence. I'm glad I did because it proved someone there did it. They tried to buff it out and couldn't get it completely out and then they sent me away with an apology and a scratch. Then suddenly approx. 25 miles later the service light came on again. I just had it serviced there that day. They forgot to reset the light so I called them to see if I could do it myself and they said NO so I had to come back some time later and thought maybe they could rebuff the scratch again and add oil to the engine. (The VW 2.0 turbo drinks oil like it's a 2 stroke engine and VW of America says 1/2 a qrt of expensive German only synthetic oil will do or it'll void the warranty is acceptable to be consumed every 600 miles.( I wish I knew this before I bought it) Again Elizabeth at Schmelz says they don't use oil its something I'm doing wrong. I'm in my 40's I don't drive like a teenager and pound on my cars. I came in to get the service light reset and the oil topped off and the scratch rebuffed. They topped off the oil and rebuffed the scratch with no success ok but sent me away a second time without reseting my service light. The only thing I could do is laugh about this because they are so incompetent. I tried trading in the car on another car at that dealership while waiting for the service to be done and Jonathan Schmelz the son of the owner John Schmelz is now running the place but don't call him Jr. he hates that. offered me the lowest trade offer on my car w/ 14k miles anyone or anywhere. I later traded it in a yr later w/ over 19k miles at a dealer for $16k. I felt like I won the lottery and got a nice car without those issues and no longer need schmelz for anything ever again. They go through staff like crazy you never see the same sales people you saw last time you were there even a month later.

Schmelz Countryside VW Saab responded to this review

August 20, 2011

As stated in the comments section of each of our cars. Each and every vehicle at Schmelz Countryside is personally hand picked by John and Jonathan Schmelz to insure the strictest of quality standards in the industry. If the vehicle does not meet our stringent requirements we will not offer it for sale. You WILL see the difference on our premium used vehicles offered for sale at Schmelz Countryside versus other dealers in the Twin Cities. You WILL NOT find cars offered for sale that were "Manufacturer's Repurchased" - AKA "Lemon" or vehicles with Frame damage. You can be assured that the your next pre-owned vehicle will not only be a good car for years to come but a great car that you will be proud of. Ask one of our sales consultants to show you the extent of our reconditioning process including tire depth and brake life - all included in our pricing upfront! It breaks our hearts here at Schmelz to read about owners who "Saved approx $3k dollars" to purchase a vehicle with admitted "constant problems". The condition of used cars varies dramatically from dealer to dealer and is usually reflected in the price. After all dealers with problem and substandard cars would not be able to sell them without a price discount to entice owners to deal with these cars. Check out the New Tork Times business section article dated June 24, 2011 which describes how vehicle values have RISEN in the last 6 months. So a $16k value now should have been $12,300 as little as 6 months ago. Much less a year ago at the low of our economic recession.