Liberty Subaru

New 888-291-0959
Used 888-279-1345
Service 866-630-3082

Family Owned Since 1977!

Great experience buying my first new (used) car

by from Parsippany, NJ |

Let me start by saying that this was my first time buying a car from a dealer, and everything about my purchase from Liberty Subaru couldn't have gone more smoothly. Ed and Jeff were great to work with - there was never any pressure to buy, and they were happy to answer all of my questions about the car and the buying process. Kevin worked tirelessly on a Friday night to secure the financing for my vehicle and to get my financing down to a range where I could afford the monthly payments. All told, I couldn't be happier with my experiences at Liberty Subaru so far.

May 5, 2014

Hi Steve S., Thank you for your business! Our goal is to make buying a car as easy as it SHOULD be. Best of luck with your "new" car! :)

Online inquiry through Car Connection

by from North Haledon, NJ |

Sent in response regarding my interest in a Forester and an inquiry as to how much an additional certified warranty would cost and never heard anything back. Checked my email and spam several times to be sure. I wouldn't go the same route again if interested in a car as far as responding to an ad . Something had to go through somewhere though as I've received several emails and calls from other dealers.

May 2, 2014

Hi, Don- Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I just checked our computer system, and I see we received requests from you at 7:12am and 9:21am on Tuesday, 4/22. Our sales staff starts their day at 9am, and I see Damon emailed you later that morning at 10:24am, and then again a few days later at 2:44pm on 4/25. Normally we'll follow up on the telephone, but I only have two phone numbers on file for you. The first is (333) 333-3333, and the other one is marked "Do Not Use This Number To Contact". This means that if for some reason our emails are not getting through, we have no way to contact you. Please give Damon a call at (201) 261-0900. If he's not available, please ask for his manager, Clayton. If for some reason you can't get either of them, my name is Rick...please ask for me and I'll be happy to get you the information that you're looking for. Thank you for the feedback, and we look forward to working with you!

Do not use them for service!

by from Athens, GA (previously Brooklyn, NY) |

At a little over 100,000 miles, I took my 2004 Subaru Forester to this dealership to get the timing belt replaced.  Told them I also wanted all the other parts normally replaced at the same time done (water pump, etc.) since the major labor expense of accessing the engine was already being incurred.  They only did the timing belt and did not discuss with me any other parts that were showing wear and tear.  A mere 3,000 miles later I had to have the timing belt re-done due to an oil leak (query whether Liberty Subaru negligently failed to identify this leak). But more to the point, it turned out the whole timing belt tension system (the rollers the belt turns on) needed replacing due to old age, as well as the water pump and several other inexpensive parts (again, it's the labor to get to these parts that is costly).  When I complained to the dealership about why all these parts had not been replaced as I asked, they first told me it was because it would have made my service bill too high.  When I said that should have been discussed with me so that I could decide whether to pay a larger one-time bill rather than paying for subsequent part replacements, they then claimed that everything looked fine when they replaced the timing belt and that they were not responsible for future work that was needed.  This second explanation was total BS according to the mechanics who did the second timing belt and who are former subaru dealership mechanics themselves.  Wear and tear that was obvious 3,000 miles later would have also been apparent 3,000 before. So my complaint is two-fold: poor quality of service work plus refusal to take responsibility for it. Do not take your car to be serviced by Liberty.

Superior Experience

by from Mount Kisco, NY |

I would highly recommend Liberty Subaru and most especially Dan Meola. I purchased my 2014 Subaru Forester from Dan and the transaction was as smooth as silk. I listed the options and he immediately responded with a quote, which was the best I had received. My transaction was completed over the phone and the custom ordered vehicle arrived one week later. Dan followed up the week after I had picked up the car to see how everything was. This was just a perfect experience. I have already recommended Liberty Subaru and Dan Meola to several friends.

May 5, 2014

Hi Jvonny, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others! Happy to hear your transaction went as smooth as possible! :)

Great Experience Buying My Crosstrek

by from Wyckoff, NJ |

Our sails rep Rob B. was really helpful and we closed our deal very easily. He made the process very smooth and we were very happy with Liberty Subaru. I would definitely recommend them when purchasing a Subaru

May 5, 2014

Hi, GregoryEA! Thank you for your review and for your confidence in us... glad we were able to meet your expectations!

Extremely Careless Dealership

by from Bronx, NY |

Stopped in to make a car deal. They took my $500 check as deposit. The next day they called me to say they could not work out a desirable financing package. I told Kevin, the finance manager, to tear up my check. He said "OK". Three days later my check hit my account!! I called Kevin to complain and said he was sorry. Ed, the salesman, said that Kevin was new and that he should have known the process. Evidently Kevin did NOTHING to even check on the deposit check as Ed would have told him it was already sent to the bank. All Kevin had to do was inform me of this and I would have made sure the check was good when it hit the bank (as I assumed it wasn't being deposited - I used the funds in my account). He didn't do anything about my request to tear up the check....absolutely inexcusable and careless for a finance manager working with a customer. I am now overdrawn (as I used the funds I thought were available) and was hit with overdraft fees and negative account fees until next pay day. All I get is "I'm sorry" and we will send you a check in 7 to 10 days. Unbelievable. They should have offered me to come to the dealership to get the money right now...but they showed their true colors. Avoid this place at all costs!!!!

Ed was extremely helpful

by from La Canada Flintridge, CA |

I contacted Ed about a used car advertised on the cars.com website and even though we weren't able to meet, I very much appreciate his follow through and when I am next looking for a car, he will be my first call.

July 8, 2013

Dear Thankful- I appreciate your taking time to tell us about your experience, even though you and Ed weren't able to put a deal together...please let us know when you're back in the market! -Rick

Don't waste your time or money

by from Stroudsburg, PA |

My family has owned many Subaru's over the years. We specifically went to this dealer because they had a used car available that is hard to find. After waiting for about 20 minutes for a certain salesmen when he arrived he pushed us off to a different salesmen. The used car was nice but over priced considering it was dirty and not in top condition. Then they offered to give us $4,000 less than another Subaru dealer for our trade in. Subaru offers a hassle free trade in but I do not believe this dealer follows that procedure. This dealer is not worth your time or effort. It's worth it to drive somewhere else! I would NEVER do business here, you could save $1,000's if you just go to a different dealer. I'm a Subaru fan for life but not a fan of this dealer. All Subaru dealers are not the same so make sure you read reviews.

August 2, 2013

Hi, Subaru Fan...thank you for taking the time to post a review. We welcome all feedback, regardless of how many stars! When you guys came to visit us, the salesperson that you asked for was working with other customers, and was going to be tied up for quite a while. Rather than having you wait any longer, I introduced you to another salesperson. While I was doing so, the salesman you asked for came over to say Hi, and confirmed that he'd be tied up for a while, and it would be a good idea for you to work with someone else. My assumption was that after making the trip all the way out from PA, that you'd rather see the car you traveled such a long way to see instead of sitting in the waiting room for another hour. I'm sorry that you felt "pushed off"...that certainly was not my intention. Concerning the condition of the car...it probably was a little dirty...it's difficult to keep our entire inventory perfectly clean while it's parked outside (especially with the weather we've had over the past week or two). Before each vehicle is delivered, it gets detailed (again) and leaves with a full tank of gas. This particular car has below average mileage, and was bought and serviced here, so we have a complete set of service records. It's a Subaru CPO, and we just completed the 30,000 mile serivce, replaced the front and rear brake pads, and installed a new set of tires...if that doesn't qualify for "top condition" in your book, you're certainly one tough customer! Regarding the trade value...I can only assume that the "hassle free trade in" that you refer to is Subaru's Guaranteed Trade Program (GTP). I this case, the trade value we offered you for your Outback was significantly greater than Subaru's published GTP price. When you left, you were asking for another $4,000 on your trade and another $3,000 off the price of our car...unfortunately, we don't leave ourselves as much "wiggle room" as you're used to...a $7,000 difference is a pretty big obstacle when you're considering a car with an asking price of $20,995. I'm sorry we weren't able to make a deal, but I appreciate the opportunity. -Rick

Excellent Dealership in the area

by from New Windsor |

We bought a Subaru Legacy from this dealership for my friend. Ray was the best salesman that gave us one haggle free price- I tried in 4-5 other dealers, no body could match it. They said there would be hidden fees. But we took delivery for the price he first quote. I am not sure some other people had negative experience from this dealer. Mine was excellent. I am going to take my own XV Crosstreck from this dealer soon Thank you for your excellent service and support.

November 12, 2012

Hi, georgek! Thank you for taking time to let us know how it went...we appreciate the feedback! When you're ready for that Crosstrek, give Ray a call!

Unprofessional management

by from Upper Saddle River |

If you want to deal with rude and unprofessional management, then this is the dealer for you. Went back to the dealer to finalize a purchase on a used Jeep Grand Cherokee, the manager and salesman tried to pull a fast one buy increasing the price that we negotiated by $300. I walked out, not because $300 is alot of money, but because that is not the way to do business. This is a small dealership in the middle of no where, I understand that this is what they need to do to make money since they don't do volume. The sad part is that the owner Rick DeSilva most likely doesn't know the type of scum that works for him. If you google him you will see he is the chairman of the American Internation Automobile Dealers Association. Last night when I went into the dealership at 7pm the sales manager was behind the computer reading the sports news, he didn't acknowledge me for a good 30 seconds then without looking at me he asked "what do you need?" as if I was bothering his reading. Wish I know his name, but the sales manager is a bald man in his 60's with an attitude. Cars are dime a dozen, you can find the car you need for the price you want anywhere. If they want to act like they are the only dealership in the world, then its there loss.

November 12, 2012

Hi, rcelik. Thank you for taking time to post a review. While we always appreciate feedback, there are a few points in your review that should be clarified. First...no one "tried to pull a fast one" as you put it. We were unable to agree on a purchase price for this vehicle. There was a $300 difference between your offer (on your friends' behalf) and our offer when you left. Had your offer been accepted, the deal would have been finalized at that time, and there would have been no need for you and your friend to come "back to the dealer to finalize a purchase" on the evening in question. Second...as far as being "a small dealership in the middle of nowhere"...we are the largest New and Certified Pre-Owned Subaru dealer in the Tri-State area, and have been one of the top 25 volume Subaru dealers in the country for the past 16 years. Hardly a "small dealership", and few would consider Bergen county "the middle of nowhere". Lastly...concerning the "scum" that work here...the Sales Managers name is Dan, and he has been here since 1986. While I did not witness your exchange on that evening, I can tell you that he's well liked and respected by Subaru, all of our employees, and most importantly, our customers. The fact that he didn't agree to take ANOTHER $300 off to meet your offer doesn't make him "scum"...it just means that we were unable to agree on the purchase price on a car for your friend. If your friend is still interested, as I write this response (10:45am on 11/10), the Grand Cherokee is still available. If your friend is still interested in purchasing it, our offer still stands.

Best Subaru Dealer In the area

by from Bergen, NJ |

This dealership was the best dealership I visited in the area. I bought a car from Bill Kolb Jr in the past. They ripped me off. I did not experience any of the head aches of the car buying process at Liberty. There was no haggling on the price of my new Forester. I dealt with DJ and was very happy with the service I received from him and everyone else. Thanks guys!

June 19, 2012

Hi, Emm35! Thank you for your kind words, and for your confidence in us...I'm glad we were able to meet your expectations!