Rice Buick - GMC Inc.

8330 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919

New 888-273-2499
Used 888-415-7077
Service 877-249-4248

Visit our Website to View our Green Tag Sales!

Great People. Great Car. Great Price

by from Knoxville, TN |

I recently purchased a used car from Rice Buick in Knoxville and had a wonderful experience. The salesman, David Claiborne (and the entire staff) was professional and personable. We went there to look at a 2006 Lexus RX 400h that was listed on the internet. We thought we were just going to look since it was the first one that was actually for sale that we had seen. I had spent many, many hours on the internet looking at various models and had decided on what I wanted and what I should have to pay. We had no previous experience with this dealership, so did not have much hope that a non-Lexus dealer would have a good car for us. My first inquiry was through the internet and we got a personal response back very quickly. When we arrived at the dealer we were introduced to a sales person, David Claiborne, who showed us the car and made us feel very comfortable. We were pleasantly surprised that the car seemed to be just what we wanted. We took it for a test drive! It was great. We then talked with David about price and about taking the car to the Lexus dealer to have it checked out. The next day we were able to schedule the inspection with the Lexus dealer and David came in on his day off so we could get the car for that purpose. The Lexus dealer checked it out and gave it a glowing recommendation. We returned to Rice Buick and continued our negotiations. We never felt pressured and put on the spot by David or anyone there. We feel like we got a great car at a great price and could not be more pleased with the whole experience. Like most people, we had dreaded buying a car, especially a used car. I had not wanted to buy anything for several years, but our car had been badly damaged by hail, so it was a necessity. David and the staff made our experience so pleasureable that I am writing this review so others will not hesitate to deal with the Rice Buick at anytime! Go there, buy a car, new or used. They will treat you well.

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by from Knoxville, TN |

At first I can say that the beginning the salesman David Claiborne was nice and worked what my family and I thought was a good deal for the used car we wanted to purchase. After it went to financing it went very south. The finance person Nathan pulled my credit several times with the SAME finance company, then when I explained to him I wasn't going to pay the interest rate their company gave me, I would go through my own credit union, he said he would finance with who ever I wanted, I explained to him I would handle it directly myself. He took it upon himself to process a credit application to my credit union WITHOUT my permission, when I applied with my credit union it held up my application for several hours because he tried to do a indirect loan. I had to call Rice GMC three times to get a dealer sheet faxed over to my credit union and Nathan requested that the bank call him to verify that I had guaranteed financing! My credit union gave me a rate that was 3% lower than what Rice GMC offered. I had my husband take the cashiers check to them the next day. At 5:30 on that Saturday I received a phone call from the salesman David Claiborne telling me I HAD to be at GMC by 6pm to sign papers, I didn't have a choice. After I explained to him it wasn't possible for me to be there by 6pm, he then asked me 'where are you'... I feel that was very unprofessional! I still do not understand why the papers could not be signed on Monday, they had full payment for the car. After I spoke with my husband we decided to return the car and take our money elsewhere. After they basically treated us like we dirt, the person that gave my husband our check back asked, 'What did we do wrong?' Seriously? I have never been treated to badly in all my life, they made me feel belittled and ignorant. I also feel as if they were trying to take advantage of us because we were young. I feel as if they are more about money than customer service. I was a very disappointing experience for me and my family.

Rice Buick - GMC Inc. responded to this review

June 4, 2014

I am very sorry you had this perception of what happened. When the husband came in on a Thursday night at closing time we were able to obtain financing through a lender we use that was very competitive for the credit scores presented. He happily signed the papers and took physical delivery of the vehicle and said the wife was to come by first thing the next morning and sign her papers. When we found out she wanted to go through her credit union we sent the loan there where they approved it at a similar rate to what the original contract showed. The customer was able to obtain financing at a lower rate after shopping the credit unions and brought in a check. All we needed was one signature and even offered to bring the papers to them which is why the salesperson asked where you were. They were effectively driving a car they did not own and if something would have happened like an accident or theft the insurance would not cover it if the transaction was not complete with all signatures. We did everything we could to complete the transaction in a timely manner and in a way that would satisfy our customer. We are family owned and operated in the Knoxville community since 1957 and you can tell from the reviews on our website at www.ricegmc.com that we have a long tradition of serving the Knoxville community and it is sad anyone has this perception of us. We try to completely satisfy everyone but unfortunately this is not possible. We just cannot have people driving our vehicle for 4-5 days without signing the paperwork. That is where the sense of urgency for the signature comes from. Again, very sorry you had this perception of our dealership.