Brown Toyota Scion

(3.0) 3 Reviews

1357 Richmond Rd, Charlottesville, VA 22911

my word meant nothing

by from butler pa. |

I became aware of a particular used car via online ads CARS.com and others. I contacted the dealer (Browns in charlottsville). They asked me for my debit-card information if I intended to hold the car. At the time I was unsure if I wanted to make a non-refundable 500.00 deposit. Over the period of about 7 to 10 days I decided to go ahead with the buy. I called salesperson to see if car was still available. To my delight it was. I told sales I WANTED IT!! Then booked travel. During my travel sales person called my cellphone to say car had been sold. 150.00 lost and 15 hours of bus-travel.

Brown Toyota Scion responded to this review

August 28, 2012

David, I am very sorry to hear about your experience. We would have been delighted to sell you the Honda Insight. The reason why we requested a deposit from you prior to your visit (a visit that required hundreds of miles of travel by bus, as you say) was specifically to avoid this situation. Another customer financially committed to purchasing this vehicle prior to your arrival. As soon as this happened, we notified you by phone. My understanding is that despite our request for a deposit and a clear explanation of the risks involved if you chose not to make that deposit (essentially, that we could not hold the vehicle for you without a deposit), you elected not to reserve the Insight prior to booking your travel plans. If you had placed the deposit, the vehicle would have been yours. Because of these factors, I think it is fair to say that the responsibility for how this turned out should be shared. That said, I do apologize for the inconvenience you suffered and for the lost investments, both in terms of your travel expenses and your time. I would also like to apologize for the fact that we live in a world where deposits are required to hold vehicles. I truly wish it were different. If I have misunderstood this in any way or misrepresented things, please reach me anytime at jbunting@brownautos.com so that I can seek a resolution --- James Bunting, Digital Sales Manager.

Good Used Value/Quality

by from Charlottesville, VA |

I bought a used car from Brown about six months back. As a self funded part time student, I needed something used which would get me around reliably and which I could fit into a fairly modest budget. Brown's sales people were able to direct me towards exactly what I was looking for and get me out the door well within what my budget would allow. While my car still isn't exactly something which will make *anyone* turn green with envy, I have had zero mechanical problems with it to date. Honestly, I was even expecting a problem to have popped up by now for what I paid, but the thing keeps running. I may well take it back to Brown for a checkup prior to inspection. If things go as they did last time I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

When the going gets tough...

by from Charlottesville, VA |

After trashing my poor, old car in a flood, the guys here helped ease the pain of having to replace it. When my going got tough,they toughed it out and got me going.

Brown Toyota Scion responded to this review

May 22, 2012

Thanks, Cook! We appreciate the kind words.