CarMax San Antonio

(3.8) 6 Reviews

3611 Fountainhead Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229

bought 3 vehicles here

by from San Antonio |

3 purchases over last 6 years. All great experiences! What other dealer will transfer vehicle of your choice from Houston, Austin, Dallas, free and allow you to drive it 4 days with the option to return it w/no questions or choose another vehicle. Most who want to haggle (highly overated ) are never willing to pay a fair price for anything, but want something for nothing. If you do your home work before stepping on the lot you would know the value of your purchase/trade (NADA used in TX) not KBB. Inventory will also effect price if you start researching your purchase 12 - 9 months you will see. 2 of my 3 vehicles are currently advertised for very close to what I paid almost 2 years ago! They were advertised as "managers specials" at purchase! They are luxury brands. I have also had warranty work done, although annoying it was honored by dealer! Keep doing what you're doing CARMAX! !!

BUYER BEWARE!! Poor customer service/Poor quality

by from San Antonio, Texas |

I thought I had found my dream car but after owning it for only a little over a year, my dream car has become a nightmare. It has had at least 4 major repairs since I drove it off the lot. Their service plan is a joke. You may think that you are getting a great deal by paying a flat rate for services....if they even cover the repair, but their service department is constantly booked for at least 1-2 weeks, so don't expect to get your car into their shop for at least 1 1/2 weeks. Once they have your car they take days before even "opening a ticket" on your vehicle and beware! Though the plan covers a rental at $40/day, they won't pay for it until they start work on your car AND decide to keep it overnight. The fact that you have a job and family that require you to have transportation doesn't really matter to them. Also, when picking up your vehicle make sure they actually made the repairs you took it in for. To my surprise after getting my vehicle back, I discovered that they included repairs on the close out ticket that weren't even done. When I called them back to inform them of this, they said we don't have any open appointment times until next week. It didn't register with them that the right thing to do would have been to take my vehicle in timely and remedy the problem they contributed to. This was even after I reminded them that one of the items they failed to fix and stated they had, could result in fines for me if I continued to drive the car. They offered no rental or apology and reiterated that there were no open appointments. They also attempted to charge me when I brought the car back. I actually had to argue with the staff as the items needing to be fixed were already billed to me the last time. The CSR I dealt with was so rude, I had considered reporting him to his Supervisor, but he had the items repaired at no additional cost and within a fair time frame. All in all CarMax on Fountainhead Drive appears to be a customer oriented wonderful place to purchase your next vehicle, but once the ink has dried on your contract and you are officially indebted to them, you will find that you are just somebody they feel they can take advantage of if you don't know any better. I recommend looking elsewhere and if you must purchase there take a mechanic with you to make sure you're not buying a lemon!

You can do better

by from San Antonio, TX |

Their prices are almost always higher than a comparable car at a dealership, and they don't negotiate. They also won't let you test drive the car alone like dealerships will, so it's hard to have a frank discussion about the car during the test drive. The quality of the pictures they take at the local dealership has gone way down.

November 15, 2012

Hi there, we are sorry to hear that you are not happy with your experience. At CarMax only one in three vehicles have the quality needed to become a CarMax car. All of the cars we select also go through on average 12 hours of inspection and reconditioning. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback, we are always looking to improve. ~kelsey

A much better experience

by from Kerrville, TX |

Using Carmax was so much better in all ways than buying from a dealership that I will probably never go back!

September 21, 2012

Thank you so much for the feedback! We are so glad that you had an awesome customer experience at CarMax. ~kelsey

bad service

by from COLORADO |

Nasty attitude , no enough selections or their cars are in other states... not good....close your dealer ship.. Dr. Sasha

April 29, 2012

Xaxu2011, we?re sorry to hear about your troubles with CarMax. We?d love to talk more about your situation, please call our Customer Relations team at 800-519-1111. Thanks for your review.

used car sales

by from san antonio |

my partner and i have bought several cars/trucks from carmax always a great experience.

September 14, 2011

Thanks for the review, truck/care, and thanks for being a loyal customer!