CarMax Independence

19010 East Valley View Parkway, Independence, MO 64055

RIPPED OFF BY CARMAX

by from Savannah, GA |

I bought a car from CarMax on 7/29/14.It was sold with remote entry and a remote entry key with buttons for door, trunk, and panic. The key did not work and CarMax said it needed to be reprogramed. I made an appointment with CarMax service. The service department found that the car was not equipped with remote entry. Nate with the service department said that,"CarMax would make it right." Today, 8/15 I went back to CarMax for some type of compensation. I was offered a $25.00 coupon for service at CarMax. I have spent twice that in gas going from my residence to CarMax, on several occasions, to try and settle this matter. The 25 dollar coupon was a complete insult. CarMax is a typical used car lot.Once they have your money, Forget You.

Not always the best deal

by from Boulder, CO |

I purchased a used VW 2013 Tiguan on January 10, 2014 and after two months really did not like the crossover. So my wife and I took the crossover to Carmax for a Appraisal. The buyer first stated the car had a different hood (Lie) then stated driver side panel had been replaced (I laughed at the lie). So, after this, I asked the buyer to show me how he came up with this. The buyer told me the gap was wider the then normal on my VW and I could not help but to ask what is the correct gap between front panel and hood. Well to make a long story short the gap ended up being the same size as the one on there lot (funny). As for the driver side panel, I gave them my invoice for the dent I had repaired. Why lie about theses thing to make them seem worst then what they are Carmax. I really believe they knew a minor repair had been done but trying to turn that into bargaining power is such a dealer move for a company that claims to be "fair" and "No games". I was upset a little because you feel like someone is trying to take advantage of you and of course they claim to not be like your neighborhood dealership. The Appraisal was fair market value thought I looked into there inventory and they did not have a wh4 drive Tiguan with low miles (15,000) and the appraisal was much lower then what they would sale the car for. I guess they are no different then your local dealership a wolf in sheep clothing.

Just wanting a clean car ?

by from Lee's Summit, MO |

I just purchased a 2012 Mazda 3 for my daughter in college. I enjoyed the low pressure atmosphere and the ability to have the specific vehicle transferred in (at a cost) from a different location. We were able to get the exact vehicle we were looking for. I was willing to pay for that convenience. It made it much nicer than searching for weeks/months any other way. After the vehicle arrived at the Independence location, I was able to view it and say "yes" that is the car I want to purchase. I made a "delivery" appointment and left to get the money all worked out. Returned to purchase the car and was very disappointed. The car was filthy. It had NOT even been cleaned out. I was paying above KBB for the vehicle which I was okay with because I felt I was getting a better than average car. I paid to have the vehicle brought in. I did expect them to, at least, wash the car. I was hoping to be able to show up, sign the papers, pay them the money, then drive away with the car. Instead, I had to get into an argument as to why the vehicle had not been cleaned, wait for the manager to discuss the lack of cleanliness of the vehicle. They did offer to clean the vehicle. I don't understand why this isn't standard policy. I don't have to ask for a table to be cleaned at a restaurant before being seated to eat. I don't have to ask for a hotel room to be cleaned before checking in. I was just shocked that they would be okay with delivering a dirty vehicle to a customer that was paying such a premium dollar for a specific car. We almost left without purchasing it. If I didn't already have money invested in the exchange, I would have left. I also was rather insulted in paying for the car. We had a cashiers check for the majority of the purchase and were writing a check for the remainder (3000). Upon writing the check, they said we needed to prove that we had money in the account to cover the payment. They would not allow us to pull it up on our phone and show them; we had to log into our bank, through a specific computer on their showroom floor (with our login and password being entered into their computer) and have a "special" person look to verify that we had the money. It was very insulting. I do understand some verification needed but there should be a better way. I would have preferred to put it on a credit card or something. They do offer a 5 day return policy and we are considering returning the car simply because we do not care for the way the purchase ended. I don't think I could go through that process again. I would not recommend purchasing a vehicle from them. Next time I will go back to "haggling" with a new car dealer. It may be frustrating but at least I would take delivery of a clean vehicle and not be personally insulted in my payment method. I think corporate Carmax should revisit some of its policies. I like the concept of the experience; I do not appreciate the way it was carried out in our experience.

Do Your Homework. This company is a JOKE

by from Colorado Springs, Co |

I went to the Carmax in Colorado Springs. For them to buy my Truck, and they made a few mistakes while doing the appraisal. It took him about a half hour for him to do the appraisal, and after all was said and done he must not have know what he was looking at. On the paper work they handed me he put that I had 4.0L in it on not a V6. This about a $2000.00 difference. Good thing i took the paper work home and looked over it for a while and just didnt jump into it. I called them up and nothing was done. They lady who helped us out getting started was great though. Too bad her company is a JOKE.

A Very Happy Customer!

by from Independence, O |

I purchased a 2010 Lexus (no trade) from the Independence CarMax location a couple of months ago. From the moment we entered the showroom floor we were treated with respect and never felt any pressure. I felt the sales person (Max) was as honest as he could be with what facts he had regarding the automobiles we looked at and drove. I have taken the car in twice since, once for oil change and today for new windshield wipers. I actually lost one I think at the car wash! I told them I was leaving tomorrow morning for a road trip. They replaced the wipers and checked my air in tires and etc before I left. I can't tell you how impressed I have been with the service from this Independence location! I will refer all family and friends and will return myself when the time is needed! Thank you for showing us there is still great service and people who care about customer satisfaction!!! And by the way..LOVE my Lexus! Kathy M.

Great Service

by from Kansas City |

I have a very good car shopping experience with Tim Smith at CarMax Independence. I liked the no pressure way of buy a car. I will remember this experience when looking for a car for my son.

2011 Ranger

by from Independence, MO |

Pros - I was able to see a huge selection of makes and models in one place. I could research their inventory online. I was able to make an appointment with a salesman prior to going out. The salesman was helpful, friendly and willing to help anyway possible. The business office was efficient. The after sale follow up on vehicle was good. Cons - Salesman was almost an hour late for the appointment and the other sales staff did not offer to help. I was also interested in purchasing a second vehicle from CarMax based on the mostly positive experience with the truck. I told the salesman that I was looking at purchasing a second vehicle and he gave me his personal cell number, but did not return the call for 4-5 days. I tried emailing him, but got no response from him that way, either. When no response came from the initial salesman, I sent in an email to a different sales person about the 2nd car. She did respond to my questions. I emailed her back with a question about the transfer fee, and did not get any additional response from her. I did end up buying the 2nd car elsewhere. Communication appears to be the biggest issue. I almost walked out due to the salesman not being available and no one else coming out to help or checking on me. I am not sure anyone let the salesman know I was there. The staff was aware that I was there waiting on an appointment with a specific salesman. They just did not seem to care. However, the deal on the truck went smoothly and with ZERO pressure, after the salesman showed up. I would recommend this dealer to a friend if they were going to go out there in person to get all of their questions answered. I would also recommend it to a friend if they wanted to do a side by side comparison or test drive more than one vehicle before deciding. I would not recommend this dealer if the deal was complicated or required a lot of phone or email communication.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK

by from Kansas city, MO |

tHEY LOW BALLED ME ON MY TRADE.New car DEALER GIVING ME $4000 MORE THAN Carmax was giving me. There was body damage repair to the vehicle that was not revealed. Inferior repair work with bondo and overspray.Their 132 point inspection is a joke. Their autocheck is a joke. Theres showed 1 owner. I ran a carfax that showed 2 owners. Cannot trust anything they tell you. Must do your own research. They tell you only what they want you to know. The tires were almost bald, yet by their standard acceptable. There was a tear in the sidewall that they NEVER revealed. What a poor excuse for dealing with the public.

CarMax...making me a repeat customer!

by from San Diego, CA |

So I researched cars for over 6-months and finally dialed in on a 2007 Cayman S Porsche. Perfect condition with only 36k. Initially financed through them at a rate a bit higher than I would have liked ~4%, but planned on shopping around some more. Since it was a Sunday and the banks were closed, we closed the deal... I did not want this beauty getting away. The finance people said I could refinance with another bank easily anytime that week since they hold the note in limbo during the 5 day grace window. Two days later I found Island credit union that would finance me for 1.99% for up to 6 years. The bank was surprised that the value of the car was $2500 under blue book. The bank and carmax made the seamless exchange and carmax was paid by end of week. Exactly like they said. Kudos Carmax and Island Credit Union! Since this was a big purchase and it seemed at bit too good to be true, I had the car serviced at the Porsche dealership that same week. Dealer said the car was in great condition and only needed a torn engine mount replaced. I paid to have the major service interval done on the car so they got a very good look into the car. They offered me an extended service contract as well, pointing to potential weakness in the carmax program. The equivalent from Porsche was over twice the price. The porsche dealer admitted I was better off with the extended service contract through Carmax. Carmax took care of the engine mount under the 30 day warranty. At this time I met my service advisor in the Escondido location, Tanya Mendez. She is great! Then 2.5 months later, the Porsche decides it does not want to start. Since there had been a few electrical quirks I was planning on having looked into, I was concerned there was an underlying electrical issue. Two of the issues turned out to be non issues, just weird European design with fog lights and parking lights. The other issue was the window, which had a hyper sensitive actuator that caused the window to jump if you leaned against the door or hit a bump. Tanya was able squeeze us in ASAP and coordinated a rental car. They verified the window issue, which was covered under the extended service contract. Battery was dead but all electrical systems checked out. She worked it out with her management to cover the battery and even split the cost of the extended service contract. They did this without me even asking or complaining about a battery going bad so soon after purchase! Between the parts, labor and rental, the bill was over 700 bucks. My out of pocket was 125 bucks. So my experience with Carmax has been positive in every aspect. I think they are trying to make me a repeat customer. I read all the reviews and experiences of people online before buying my Porsche. I came to the conclusion that people are dumb. If a car is over priced...don't buy it. If the interest rate is outrageous, don't buy it. If the trade in price is ridiculously low, then sell it on your own! Yes they only offered me $1000 for my car that I sold two weeks later for $2900...but they are company in business to make money. If part of the deal does not make sense, then pass on it. I hope this review is helpful to someone.

CarMax Independence responded to this review

December 12, 2012

Hi there! Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us, we are so pleased that we were able to provide you with a great customer service. We are so glad that we were able to help you find a great car. Enjoy your new ride! ~kelsey

Offered me $7500 less than KBB good Trade-in value

by from Independence |

Seriously? They offered me $7500 less than KBB good condition trade in value on my vehicle. I immediately went to another local new car dealership and they paid me $7000 MORE than the Carmax offered. The salesperson at Carmax told me that they would sell my car on their lot for $7900 MORE THAN THEY OFFERED ME!!!!! Wow, I cannot believe Carmax is lowballing buy bids. The new car dealership that bought my car listed it for sale at $11900 MORE than Carmax offered me and sold it within a week I was told. Carmax is a compplete joke when it comes to giving you a legitimate offer for your clean late model low mileage vehicle. Sell it on Cars.com or to another dealer before ever thinking of Carmax.

CarMax Independence responded to this review

January 2, 2013

I'm sorry you were unhappy with your appraisal offer. Several factors go into our offer including your car's condition, after market parts, features and market conditions. For more information on how we conduct our appraisals go to http://www.carmax.com/enus/popup/suyc-appraisal-video-2.html Thanks, Bridget