Clare Dodge Chrysler Jeep RAM of Newport

(3.4) 9 Reviews

310 W Main Rd, Middletown, RI 02842

Great buying experience, subpar service department

by from Middletown, RI |

My family has purchased three vehicles from Clare. All three purchases were painless and easy. The sales team is great. Our experience with their service department has been less than satisfactory. We purchased pre-owned vehicles, the first car we couldn?t get ahead: there was always something wrong with it, always needed something?it was lower mileage, economy car that was in great shape, had good ratings for reliability, lower cost of ownership, etc. At one point we were questioned whether or not the vehicle was being properly maintained because we had not been coming to them for regular maintenance, opting to use our own mechanic and only returning to the dealership for major, warranty issues. After a year of constant repairs and problems we wrote the car off as a dud?and negotiated into something else. One of the ?rules? being that we had to come to Clare for all maintenance. So far so good on the second car. Our third vehicle from Clare was five years old at the time of purchase, and had about 90K on it. However, the car has great ratings as far as cost of ownership and reliability, and I have some friends that have the same vehicle with many more miles 250k. So the mileage thing wasn?t a concern. It?s very affordable to run, and seemed like an awesome car. 3,000 after purchasing it, it needed new brakes, and after driving it for 4,000 miles it needed a new transmission. I have an extended warranty which is the only thing that has saved me in this situation. Getting a new transmission was a three week ordeal with many false claims that the car was ?all fixed? only to drive two minutes down the road and determine that the car was in the same or worse condition. (They swear they road tested the car though). They stated that the issue was intermittent, which I disagree, my complaint has consistently been that the vehicle shifts improperly. My opinion is their road test is probably limited to moving the vehicle off the lift in the garage and into a parking spot in the lot. Furthermore, I was charged for things that should have been covered under the warranty and this most recent time I had to call Chrysler because they wanted to charge me my warranty?s deductible a third time---even though I had read the warranty paperwork that stated I wouldn?t be charged for the repair of the same issue when multiple repairs are attempted within 30 days. I don?t care much about superficial things, dings and dents and scratches on my car don?t bother me. It?s important to me that the vehicle run. With that said, nothing screams sloppy or rush job when cardboard with dirty, greasy foot prints is left in the passenger side of the vehicle, greasy footprints are found on the driver?s side, and even more exciting greasy foot prints found in the back seat. I'm not pointing this out to get something for free (although they did offer me a complementary interior cleaning), I really do feel that leaving my vehicle in this condition demonstrates that the work was sloppy or rushed--especially considering that I had to keep coming back for the same issue to be "fixed". I would not recommend purchasing a used car from Clare without the extended warranty. I do not recommend using their service department for anything. They give you loaner cars with no fuel in them, they don?t know or understand the warranty programs (warranty was purchased at the dealership by the way), they belittle you when you question them, they don?t apologize for the multiple trips to have the same issue fixed, etc. They had my car this last time for over a week and did nothing to update me on its status/progress when they were expecting the parts to come in, etc. My initial complaint was that the vehicle was not shifting properly, it is still not shifting properly after Clare Dodge installed a re-manufactured transmission, and I have sought service to rectify the issue at another Dodge dealer.

dont wast your time

by from fallriver mass |

Worst dealership ever visited every unprofessional went to buy jeep ended up walking out frustrated would not recommend

dont wast your time

by from fallriver mass |

not bad for small island

by from Middletown, RI |

Mike S was my salesman and treated me great. In conjunction with Chris the sales manager I was very pleased with the overall experience. The service department is slow, but methodical and does a good job with repairs. Frank in finance also took care of me without having to ask for it and overall I could not be happier. Reputation is all you've got and they work hard to make sure you get a positive experience.

Great Experience.

by from Central Falls, RI |

Great experience, couldn't have been happier with the service and buying experience. They treated us with courtesy and went out of the way to make us feel so welcomed.

Bad Experience - Stay Away

by from Providence |

Stay Away! Terrible customer service, mostly from the owner. Treated me like he was doing me a favor by letting me buy a car from him (I paid cash) I purchased a used car and it had problems 2 weeks later. Registration was another problem. Took forever and they never mailed it out to me. I had to go down and pick it up even after I was told they would mail it. Overall no one EVER returned any of my 4 phone calls and when I called no one knew what was going on.

Won't ever go here!

by from PORTSMOUTH, RI |

Was in the market for a new or preowned Dodge Caravan or Chrysler T&C. Saw a van advertised on Clare's website so I emailed them for info. Got no reply. Decided to do some car shopping on a Sunday. I checked Clare's website and it said they were open on Sundays from 12-4. I arrived around 12:30 and entire place is closed. I called them and instead of an automated message stating their hrs just got a generic message that did not even allow me to leave a message for anyone. Got back home and went to their website and sent an email that stated "hey I went to your location to buy a car and you were not even open although your web site indicated you are open sundays"...think I got a reply?? NO! come on! talk about terrible cs. I have been in sales for years guys, this is just plain bad customer service... needless to say I will never purchase from or recommmend Clare Dodge in Middletown, RI for anything!

!AMAZING Service!

by from natick, ma |

.My overall experience was perfect. I found a car from their dealership online. Emailed an offer, Sheena (the internet sales manager) promptly returned my email with a counter offer. After we agreed on a price, I drove to the dealership (over 1 hour away). Called about 8 minutes before I got there to actually talk to Sheena on the phone. She was so courteous and told me that she'd get the car washed up before I arrived and waiting out front for my. When I rolled upon the dealership, I missed the entrance (dumb). However the huge parking lot next store was more then accommodating. I walked over and was overwhelmed with wonderful greetings from the staff; general manager and Sheena included. Sheena and Bob brought me out to the car and oh man was she a beauty. Bob and I took a ride around the block and I appreciated his humble attitude during the car ride. He was letting me really get to see if I liked it and not showing my all 88 options it had or how cool it would look in my driveway. I actually got to feel the car and see if it would fit into my daily life. After we came in from the test drive and a thorough inspection of the car I had to tell them I wanted to buy it. They force me into a crazy sequence of cat and mouse. It was simple and straightforward. I got sent to the finance office and was met by a wonderful man by the name of ken. While he was working his magic on the banks to get me financed. I was asked several times if I wanted anything to drink. I was extremely thirsty (1 hour car ride duh) , but I declined politely. Then Sheena came in and got me to say I was thirsty. So she brought me a sprite. I downed it in like 22 seconds and it was very thirst quenching. After ken got me approved for the car I had to get my down payment. crazy miles away from my hometown bank; I only had my debit card. So Sheena took me to the bank in a wonderful smelling like-new jeep and I withdrew the maximum it would let me take out. At the beginning of this road trip i thought to myself (put your seatbelt on, she is a crazy driver) but as soon as she pulled out of the lot i knew i was safe, she was reasuring me that she was a good driver, so it made me happy. So after we drove to another bank and had some fun on the way trying not to run over pedestrians in the crosswalk. Then the atm told me I could not withdraw any more money, that my limit has been reached on my debit card. so we waited at the atm, outside while I was calling my bank (which took forever btw). And they wouldent let me increase my daily limit arrg. So I had to bring back the rest of the money the next day. I picked up the car and it was all vacuumed, washed, and it even had a pretty awesome gifty bag in it with candies, a card, and lots of memories. Nothing can top my experience at the dealership, Sheena and bob made the difference. I've been to over 30 dealerships and they are all the same jerks who want you to buy their car; but not clare. Id rather buy a car again from there again, even if I had to drive 8 hours to get there. If you didn't read the whole thing, long story short: This dealership rocks!

Great buying experience

by from Trumbull,ct |

Easy, comfortable, friendly, convenient,exciting, fair, dealership

Great Experience

by from Portsmouth, RI |

The staff at Clare Dodge made the buying experience painless and straight forward. They removed the gray areas from car buying and allowed their product to do the talking.