Smithfield Family Automotive

Smithfield Family Automotive

1802 S Church St, Smithfield, VA 23430

Used 888-903-2715

It's all about the relationship

Very Happy Military Man

by from Hampton, Va |

I've lived all around the United States serving my country. So I've had a lot of chances to interact with MANY dealerships both large and small. I had some good friends tell me about Smithfield Family Automotive and how great the treatment was there. And even though they hadn't bought from there, they had visited the dealership and were very impressed with the professionalism and honesty that they received. I was in the market for a truck or Jeep and decided to check them out on the internet first. Let me tell you, they have one heck of a website. I enjoyed reading about their buying philosophy and their different way of selling their automobiles. My wife loved their television commercials they have on their site as well. Very cute!! Once I was impressed with the website, I decided to pay them a visit. Let me tell you right up front. I really expected to play the same old game of "you guess the price". Those things didn't happen. Mr. Lightfoot greeted me as I made my way around their inventory and from the time he shook my hand, I could tell this was a great atmosphere to be around. He is prior Air Force and has been in the car business for a long time (he told me how long I just don't remember). In any event, what a cool way of displaying their vehicles. All the prices are hanging right up front and they put these yellow cards in the side windows that even show you what the NADA value was on each vehicle, the miles and everything you want to know about it. After talking a while, he told me that they have a service dept that checks every vehicle out and they have them all certified to go onto their lot. I found a jeep that I liked and the first thing Mr. Lightfoot did was show me the Carfax and the repair bill on the Jeep. I had never had that done in all my years of buying cars. He was very patient with me and really made me feel relax. Every car on the lot was shiny and very well kept. Well, I ended up buying that Jeep and can't tell you how happy I am. They even do all your DMV work right there and they processed my loan at one of their Credit Unions that they use. I never had to leave and go anywhere. It was one stop shop and very open and honest. Changed my attitude on buying vehicles (at least at this dealership).

Awesome People to Purchsase a vehicle from

by from Windsor, VA |

I had such an awesome experience purchasing my vehicle from this dealership. Tommy and Amber both were so nice and wonderful to work with. I knew that purchasing a car was going to be a hard deal for me. They were amazing in doing all they could do to get me a vehicle I could afford. I was not expecting to buy a car the same day I first looked at what they had on my lot. I would highly recommend this dealership to anyone looking for a good used car and not wanting to go to a big dealership. It was great to make a purchase from someone that made you feel like family from the time you walked into the door until I drove off the lot in my new vehicle. I am a firm believer in supporting local businesses and will be doing so from now on when ever I need a vehicle.

Smithfield Family Automotive responded to this review

January 20, 2014

We can't tell you how much we enjoyed serving you. It's folks like you and your Dad that really make owning our dealership worth while. Thanks again for allowing us to earn your business!!!

Great Buying Experence

by from Smithfield, VA |

I was in the market for a good used pickup truck. I contacted the dealership to sell my car and to locate a late model truck. Tom & Bobby were great to work with and went the extra mile to find what I was looking for. I am very pleased with the truck they sold me and with the way the business operates. This dealership is a role model on how to treat customers and being honest.

Jeep Liberty

by from Smithfield VA |

Tom was easy to work with... good advice without the pressure. When I did have a problem (radiator) within a couple days of taking the vehicle off the lot, he immediately made good on it... no quibbling or talk of what the warranty did and didn't cover. He was quick to take care of the issue. Friendly, responsive and honest - what more could you want?

The absolute BEST car buying experience EVER

by from Virginia Beach, Va |

I'm an Active Duty Military man. In all the years that I've been buying automobiles, my wife has refused to be a part of the purchase. That's due in large part to ALL the games that are played at the large dealerships the moment you call or stop in. From being "jumped" by 3-4 salesmen before you get out of the car to the "whisper" games that go on once you're in the door. Until now, it's just been a necessary EVIL. That's until we met the owners of Smithfield Family Automotive in Smithfield, Va. My wife called to inquire about a vehicle that we saw on Cars.com. Mr. Lightfoot, the owner, answered the phone and could not have been more polite, knowledgeable, and accommodating. When she told him we'd like to come look at the vehicle but couldn't get there within their hours of operation (we lived 57 miles away), he told her "no matter what the time, I'll keep the dealership open until you get here". NEVER has any dealer told us that. We came, we saw, we loved!!! Their inventory was beautifully maintained, great selection, and he even had the vehicle we were interested in pulled up front and running when we arrived. They have ALL of their prices displayed on the vehicles so there wasn't any back and forth delays. They have a service department that checks every vehicle out and makes whatever repairs are needed(we've visited 4 used car lots and none of them could say that) and it really made us feel better knowing that they run a Carfax on every vehicle. From the looks of the vehicles I saw, they really go out of their way to shine them up as well. They even had a finance office that did all of our DMV processing so we didn't have to take more time off of work (that's worth it's weight in gold alone). I normally don't take this much time to tell others about my buying experiences, but these guys really were exceptional in every way. They had children's books to GIVE to our kids teaching them good manners, playing well with others etc. What a concept.......making it about the customer instead of them!!!!! I can tell you one thing, we will definitely drive past all the other dealers to see them again.

Never heard back

by from Chesapeake, VA |

I contacted this dealership 4 times via email. I then drove the 31 miles from my home to their dealership which is just the extended parking lot of a NAPA auto parts and left a request form they had outside the dealership expressing my interest. I never heard back at all, and I'm really upset about it as I wanted the 2006 Ford Mustang. They had about 16 cars on the lot and must not be super motivated to make a sale.

Overall a pretty good experience...

by from Suffolk, VA |

Overall it was a very good experience. The couple that run the dealership are friendly and professional and did everything I asked them to do prior to purchase, no questions asked. Couldn't have asked for anything more. Financing was great and the car was delivered perfectly clean and ready to go. My only complaint came after the car was delivered. I asked them to act as a "middle man" for me as a favor to get a good price on dealer diagnostics for a very minor problem... I was told it would be no problem and that they would be glad to work with me, but it just didn't come together. After calling and asking or riding by the dealership three times I gave up and took care of it myself. Other than that disappointment, I was very happy with them and their company.

A GREAT car buying experience!!

by from Suffolk, VA |

After being involved in a car accident, we needed to purchase a reliable but affordable car quickly. Mr. & Mrs. Lightfoot were very helpful in locating a car for us that not only met but exceeded our expectations. Their pleasant demeanor and excellent customer service made the car buying experience a joy. We would definitely purchase from them again.

Great Customer Service

by from smithfield, Va |

We needed a van and they had just the one for us. But what made it so nice was FOR ONCE we didn't have to play the back and forth game that almost every dealer loves to play. We were greeted with a very knowledgeable sales person and never felt like someone was trying to get over on us. The fact that they had the price and the NADA value on the van where we could see really was a different way of doing business. We will buy our future cars from them.

Great experience

by from Newport news, Va |

My son and I really enjoyed our visit to Smithfield Family Automotive. We had gone to several dealerships and never got treated with the up front attitude the owner and his wife gave us. It's good to know that they have developed their dealership into a relaxing place to do business. I really loved that their prices were posted right up front....finally someone who is honest. I'll continue to do business with them.

Awesome from start to finish

by from Chesapeake, Va |

My wife and I bought a truck from smithfield family automotive and I must say in all my years of buying vehicles, I've never managed to find ANYONE/ANYWHERE that really has figured out how to be honest and upfront when running a dealership. Well let me tell you, this husband and wife team has done it. There prices are all posted on the rear view mirror and they even go so far as to display the NADA value of each vehicle as well so their customers can see how good of a price they are getting. Unheard of in today's "slight of hand" car dealers. The owner has been running dealerships for franchise companys for years and he understands all the games that are played. Worth the drive no matter where you're coming from.