AV & H Auto Sales

6412 NE Portland Hwy, Portland, OR 97218

1 of 1 review

Do Not Recommend

by from Portland, Oregon |

I had the misfortune of needing to buy a car that day in order to get to work the next and keep my job. Not having time to vet a vehicle properly, I chose a make, model and year of a car that I had owned before and liked and found one at this lot. I wish I had just taken a cab to work and back every day for a month... it would have be more cost effective. One month after buying the car, the brakes start grinding and not letting the car drive. They had to pound the wheels off with all the rust in order to replace them. They all were in terrible shape. $1000 repairs on a $2000 car a month after I bought it. A month later and I'm sitting on the side of the road venting coolant with a busted head gasket. During the repairs they found that the timing belt was also near to death, and SOMEONE knew about it because they had pried the cover to it open, broken it, and crudely glued it back on. Another $1500. I now owe more in high interest debt for the repairs than I do for the car loan. This "car lot" is right next to a mechanic, but as far as I can tell, this car was not really looked over or maintained prior to sale. At least I sure hope it wasn't. The oil hadn't even been changed, though the sticker in the windshield was removed so that I couldn't tell that. To be fair, I don't think that Henry necessarily KNEW about any of these issues. No, I think that he is just extremely negligent in his business. As far as I can tell, all he did was buy a cheap car at a repo auction, take it through DEQ to make sure it is sellable and then price it at 75% of the Blue Book value. I think that he treats this more as a business of moving product than he does as a business of selling a good, reliable vehicle. There was a host of issues that he SHOULD have known about and told me of. Several windows don't roll down, the rear defrost barely works, the stereo it came with had been replaced with a non working one with "87 Ford Explorer" written on the back in sharpie, meaning SOMEONE took the nice radio out and put it in a more expensive car. And also, the keys don't work in the door locks, meaning I can never lock my doors if I want back in. BUYING FROM HERE RUINED MY FAMILIES CHRISTMAS since near ALL of the money we had saved for presents has gone into making sure we have a vehicle that can get us to work. We hope. I laugh at myself bitterly everyday that I drive home from work past other small lots that say they GUARANTEE all of their vehicles have been inspected and are not lemons. Henry's guarantee he gave me was "I guarantee that the car I'm selling you is the car on the title". In a city this size, with this many used car lots, there is no reason to shop at a lot like this. If you are a mechanic, or can bring one with you, you may find a good bargain. But I wouldn't trust Henry's word on whether a vehicle runs well, as he seems to think that as long as it passes DEQ then it is fine.

(1-1 of 1 review)