Cooley Motors

New 866-853-3341
Used 888-533-4011
Service 888-309-7386

Home of the 5-Star Experience

Bad experience all the way around

by from Averill Park, NY |

I have always owned American made cars, mostly Chevy's. Always loved the looks of the Beetle and vowed I would buy one some day. I finally did it this year. Love the car but I have to say, Cooley has not impressed me. The first indication I had of their dishonesty and incompetence came when I decided to lease it but did not want more than a three year lease. I told them what i wanted to pay for how many months and they worked the numbers. I signed the papers, without realizing they had pulled a "bate and switch" deal on me. Not until I got my first payment paperwork did I realize that my lease was for four years. I know it is my fault for not reading the paperwork I had signed, but all along during the whole deal it never came up that another year had been added on to the lease. I assume they did that because they could not arrive at the figure I wanted to pay, but did not want to lose my business. I felt very deceived. I also had trouble with my air conditioner where the cool air would stop intermittently and I would feel warm air every few minutes. Took it to Cooley for service (which by the way was supposed to be done in the morning and did not happen until late afternoon) and after checking it out told me that it was normal for an a/c to do that! Well in all my years of driving Chevy's and other American cars, not one a/c did that. So I had to assume it was German engineering. I had a problem with my door handle sticking and was told it was because I didn't wait long enough after unlocking the car to open the door. Beetle windows automatically go down an inch or two when the car is unlocked and they connected the handle problem with the window! That makes no sense at all. All in all, it seemed they were incompetent to fix any of my problems and then just blew me off with stupid explanations. My son, who loves VW's and has dealt with various dealership told me that Cooley was by far his worst experience and other dealerships did much better by him. I should have listened to him but Cooley was conveniently located and I figured how much trouble could a brand new car bring me? It is definitely the last time I will use this dealership for anything - purchases or repairs.

September 17, 2014

We're sorry you feel like you were "Bait and Switched", when you signed your paperwork at our dealership. Our business office always reviews all paperwork with every customer on delivery. We take our time, and never rush our customers. In the end, it is your responsibility to know what you are signing. As far as your a/c is concerned, it sounds like you may have had it set to auto - when in auto mode, the car will adjust the output of the air to maintain a set temperature, if you're looking for a constant stream of air at a specific temperature, disable the auto mode and you will feel non-stop cold air. We do appreciate your business, and wish you the very best in the future.

My first Mazda and off to a great start w/ Cooley

by from Wallkill, NY |

Been searching for my Mazda 3 hatchback; and the catch, had to be a manual and wanted the iGT package. Finally found exactly what I wanted at Cooley. Spent about 40 minutes on the phone on Friday finalizing the deal and picked up the next day. Had to drive an hour and 40 minutes to the dealer, but well with it. Huffy was great and made things happen quickly and smoothly. Was giving up my beloved Jetta TDI that consistently got in the high 40s MPF. The new 3 hatchback got 44.5 on my trip home. Great car, great dealer, great salesman! In my mid 60s and have bought a few cars and dealt with a number of salespeople. I general just hope to survive and tolerate the salesperson to get the car, But Huffy made this a good experience.

September 1, 2014

Traildog, At Cooley Motors, nothing gets us more excited than hearing from a customer that we met the mark in the experience department. We'll be sharing your feedback with Huffy, and thank you for the great feedback. Enjoy that Mazda!!!

Great Experience!!

by from Troy, NY |

The staff at Cooley Motors is really amazing. Matt Panaro and his team are very professional and welcoming. I recently purchased a CX5 from there and absolutely love it!! I dealt with Lorna and she was wonderful!! I had my children with me and she was very patient and accommodating. Steve, who works in the finance department even came over and introduced himself as I was going through the process. Matt has a great team and I wish them lots of success!! I recommend going there and would purchase from here again.

July 30, 2014

Kristie - Congrats on your new purchase! Thank you for being a loyal Cooley customer! We'll be sure to pass along your kind words to Lorna.

Buyer Beware

by from Albany, NY |

Looked at buying a 2011 Subaru WRX hatchback Cooley had on their lot. Took it out for a test drive, and in 3rd gear, it threw a Check Engine Light. Still wanting the car, the GM told me they would not fix the car until i purchased it. They refused to even have the code read because "they were too busy." I found out the problem was supposedly a simple fix when I took the car to autozone to have the code read. Thinking it was nothing major, I put a small deposit on the car, at which time it was supposed to be fixed. Waited 2 weeks for the part to come in, and then another 5 days for the work to be done. The day I went to pick the car up, I took it out for a drive before signing anything, and low and behold, the problem was not fixed. Turns out the car had aftermarkert parts, and was not tuned for them, causing the car to overboost and hit fuel cut. At this point, they said they were taking the car to Subaru to have it fixed because they were not capable of doing so. The following day, I found a 2012 WRX with half the miles, completely stock, for the same price, which I ended up purchasing. When I went to Cooley to get my deposit back, I had everybody and their mother trying to get me to buy the car. When I was still slightly interested the day of the original pickup after the drive, they wouldnt budge on price, saying they just spent $1200 in repairs, which is not my problem. I was told I would have my deposit back in 24-48 hours. Then it turned into 72 hours, and then 3-5 days. 10 days later, and I dont have it, the latest excuse is their machine was down when I was given a refund. I will say the only bright side of this whole ordeal was my salesman Zach Espisito. He tried everything he could to get the car fixed asap, kept me updated just about every day on the progress of the deal. Wish I coudve given him a sale, but not as long as he is at Cooley. Stay Classy Cooley Motors.

July 31, 2014

Mike, we're sorry to hear about the experience you had at Cooley Motors. It certainly does not reflect the kind of relationship we desire with our customers. We recently went through a management change, and would love the opportunity to resolve this issue for you and earn back your trust. If you can, please call 518-283-2902 x236 to resolve the issue with your deposit. We look forwards to hearing from you.

Take your business somewhere else

by from Rensselaer, NY |

I do not recommend anyone to buy a car from Cooley Motors, they are unprofessional and rude. My boyfriend was ready to buy a brand new 2014 Mazda3 s Grand Touring and our sales person was pretty awesome. Unfortunately that couldn't make up for the poor mannered finance team and GM. We had agreed to get the car and they had to do their part with financing with out bank, well a week and a half later and we still don't have the car! Stating our frustration and wasting gas making multiple trips out to the dealer, we needed this to be resolved. Dealership kept blaming our bank, except they did not send the correct paperwork the bank required. The manager decided our business was not worth the hassle and canceled the sale. Clearly customer service is not that important to this dealership. Take your business elsewhere.

July 31, 2014

We apologize for the experience you had at our dealership. We recently underwent a management change and would love to earn back your trust. If you're interested, we'd love to talk to you. You can call us at 518-283-2902 x236 to speak with Justin.

Refreshingly straightforward

by from North Greenbush, New York |

I only buy a car every ten years or so and I do my research before I approach any dealership to start talking about the price and options. Before I went to Cooley, I actually went to two other dealerships in the area, and in both situations I felt not only that I was not being listened to, but that they told me one price and when we sat down to do the paperwork, the numbers were suddenly higher. In each situation I told them my concern and then walked away. I was extremely frustrated. I had received an e-mail from John Hanson at Cooley and called him. I told him the best price I had been quoted and asked if he could meet or beat that price. Within minutes he called me back and beat the price by a few hundred dollars. That afternoon I stopped by the dealership and the car was just what I wanted, and the paperwork reflected the numbers we had discussed. John was pleasant and did not waste my time. I pick up my new car tomorrow - after John picks me up at my house so that I don't need to find a ride - and I couldn't be more pleased.

July 30, 2014

Nancy - Congratulations on your recent purchase. We appreciate your business, and are excited about your experience with John! We love hearing stories like this.

BY FAR THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!!!!!

by from VERMONT |

We have purchased a used Nissan frontier which originally needed a few minor things done that we noticed. They replaced the tires as they were bald, the windshield because it was cracked, the breaks, and emergency break cable as it was broke. As we picked up the truck we noticed the window wasn't working correctly and then realized the heat wasn't working as well. We were told to call back to make an apt for the window and heat to get fixed and mentioned the nasty etchings in the paint that we did not notice at night when we originally looked at the vehicle. Made the apt and received the truck back in a few days. We were very happy with the paint being fixed and said that the one other spot we agree to take care of were the paint had been rubbed down to bare metal from a rack. When we left we noticed an airbag light on and soon again that the heat wasn't working still. We called them and because we lived an hour away they agreed to have us bring it to our local Nemer Nissan. doing so they found so many things wrong with the truck and said that it is not safe to drive. They found a radiator leak, plugged cat, tranny issues, and an oil pan leak. Cooley requested that they put in a used radiator because a new one would have cost them $900 and Nemer disagreed with the choice and that it should get a new one. So Cooley told us they were not a towing service and that we were going to have to drive it back to them so they can do the work. After bringing it to them when nemer didn't want us driving it they had it for a total of 7 days with no call and we had to call them to get any information. On the 11th day in a row of them having the truck they then call us to tell us that Nemer caused the airbag light and that they will only pay $200 towards an airbag module. Mind you this light was not on until after the first service they did. There were a few "choice" words said and my boyfriend hung up on them. Josh Sawyer states he is all about customers although after I tried calling to let him know it had nothing to do with Nemer and that the light was right on after their service he hung up on me!!!!!

August 1, 2014

Aimmies06, We're sorry you had that kind of an experience at Cooley Motors. We recently went through a management change, and the new General Sales Manager would like to earn back your trust. If you are open to speaking with us, please call us at 518-283-2902 ext 236, and Justin would be happy to learn more about experience and how we can reconcile with you.

Pleasantly suprised !

by from Brunswick NY |

I usually dread the car buying experience. This was by far the most straight forward and hassle-free vehicle purchase I have ever made. My salesman, Dan Durivage, was knowledgeable, patient & very low pressure. I actually had a good time looking for cars with him. He worked with me on my trade and helped me make a great deal on my Volkswagen. I came back to pick up the vehicle the deal was exactly what we had agreed to - very refreshing to not get the last minute surprise. The vehicle was spotless and he took the time to go over all of its features before sending me on my way to enjoy it. I will definitely go back to Cooley when it's time for my next car - if I ever part with this one!

August 1, 2014

G Tina, thank you for the kind review of your recent experience at Cooley Motors. We love hearing from happy customers! Enjoy your new car, we'll be sure to pass along the compliments to your salesperson!

absolutely awesome experience

by from clifton park |

best dealership i been to? huge selection and my sales person.. they call him double d.. was amazing? i read reviews here and could say that the only people who post are upset people? so i had to write a review to others can get the same experience i got. think about it if they sell 1600 cars a year and only 5 bad reviews that means only a couple had a bad experience. you can not make everyone happy so i am going to tell all my friend to go here and buy a car and ask for double d..

August 1, 2014

Thank you for your kind review of our dealership and your experience with your salesperson! We'll pass along your praise, and we appreciate your business. Enjoy your car!

Poor service

by from Albany, NY |

Took my Touareg in for an issue. Dealership had no idea what they where doing and got it wrong. Requested a refund and they got nasty. I called the Herndon Group and they took care of the issue. Took the car to two other VW Dealerships in the Albany, NY area and they didn't have a clue. Finally took the truck to an independant VW/Audi service center and they got it right the first visit. I no longer take my VW's to a stealership.

August 1, 2014

AJBCARS, we're sorry to hear about your experience with our service department. We've been in business for 49 years because of our commitment to always take care of our customers. If you are interested, we'd like to hear more about the interaction you had at Cooley, so we can be sure to improve even more in the future. You can call us anytime at 518-283-2902.