1997 Dodge Dakota

Available in 15 styles:  Dakota Regular Cab Base shown

$887–$8,559

See Photos & Videos

Overall

One of the Best trucks I've owned.

by 97 Dakota Sport from Southeast Washington State | May 19, 2014

Purchased this truck ( 1997 Dodge Club Cab Sport 4X4 5.2L V8, 5 speed Manual Transmission) in 1999. It has towed everything from a motorcycle trailer to a 28 foot travel trailer with no problem. The only maintenance required was to repair a intake manifold leak. Replace the intake gasket and was good as new. I've put about 110,000 miles on the truck and has never failed to return me home. I can't say that about many of the other cars I've owned. I have used this truck as a daily commuter vehicle for many years. It has been reliable and comfortable. With the 5 speed manual transmission it's fun to drive. When I don't need this truck I plan on giving it to my grandson. It's been a very good truck.

Worst vehicle I've ever owned.

by Rick3373 from Moab, UT | November 27, 2013

I've spent nearly as much money having this thing fixed as I paid for it. So far I have had to have the timing chain replaced, and the clutch replaced, I've changed the totally worn out spark plugs, and the bad oxygen sensors, flushed the cooling system. The radiator is plugged and will not drain, the heater core is also apparently bad as it will not make much heat. All things that the dealer should've done in my opinion and I haven't even had it a month. If I weren't disabled and had extremely limited funds I would get rid of it. Being totally unfamiliar with it and having never owned that brand of vehicle before I didn't know anything was wrong.

Not to Shabby but reliability issues

by Country Boy from Dayton, OH | September 16, 2011

I bought this truck in 2001 with 76k mi it now has 172k mi. It has been a decent truck over the years. But I have had several issues with ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes (several different issues), and in dash sensors switches. The biggest issue I had though was that if I towed up hill I could but the pedal to the floor and still lost speed, and I have the V6 Magnum. I have kept up with the maintenance of the vehicle but from the start this was an issue. Now the vehicle has cosmetic issues too. Rust every where especially underneath the vehicle. had to replace a brake line the rusted through, not very safe. Also the clear coat is peeling right off making the vehicle ugly. I really liked this truck for looks and value but the performance and reliability are an issue, beyond the age. Otherwise it has been a good truck but time to upgrade.

Doesnt know how small it is

by kizzle from columbus, ohio | October 4, 2009

Mine has the 3.9 v6 in it.. and it doesnt know how small it actually is. this truck will tow anything! Never feels underpowered. very reliable.

Uses car for Towing

This is a great truck to have!

by sandra from Wisconsin | April 23, 2009

I have owned this truck and loved it! It rides great and it feels tough without having to pay a lot!

Excellent mid size truck

by Drew from Easthampton Ma | October 23, 2008

My Dakota never had anything go wrong on it. The only thing i ever did was the brakes. They have a pretty smooth ride for a truck(compared to the ranger at least). It is a very good truck for the money, but they dont get the greatest gas mileage, which is expected.

good light truck

by mclovin from florence, Ma | May 4, 2008

The dakota isnt big, or all that fast, but it can get you and whatever u need where your going. Personally i havn't run into anyproblems with it, and its been very reliable.

Featured Services for this Dodge Dakota