2004 Dodge Dakota

16 city / 20–22 hwy

Overall

Excellent truck!

by First time dodge owner from Spring hill, FL | May 17, 2016

I have the the quad cab 4x2 3.7l SXT. This is the first dodge vehcile i have ever owned (normally Ford). I have to say that I honestly LOVE this truck. It was purchased almost 2 years ago with roughly 115k just about 125k on it now. I have not done a single thing to this truck other than oil changes and some new wheels. Truck starts up without hesitation first try every time. My one and only complaint about this pickup is the quality of the paint which i noticed is pretty common with the 04 dodges (neon,ram,stratus etc..) Excellent handling excellent acceleration, can tow what i need.. Large roomy cabin for a midsize pickup can comfortably put my daughters full size rear facing car seat in back seat with still plenty of leg room for front passenger. Its built tough and you feel safe driving it which is one of the biggest reasons i purchased it.. I was unfortunately rear-ended about 6 months ago by a Ford Ranger quad cab while i was at a dead stop and he hit me doing roughly 40; the ranger needless to say was immediately totaled and my dakota literally ate the hit.. The only damage I have is on the rear bumper which isnt even horrible its just dented. Very confident in saying for the dads out there that still want a pickup invest in a Dakota. Owned a ford focus before this and sold it for my dakota because i didnt feel comfortable putting my daughter in the backseat of the focus. I will drive this truck until it will no longer move. Extremely pleased with dodges quality and will most certainly be a continuing dodge costumer in the future(perhaps quad cab RAM)

Great truck!

by RoyL from Greater Chicago area | July 28, 2015

This is my 4th Dakota and I've owned this one for the longest - over 11 years - and driven it the furthest - 234,000 miles (yes, 234,000 miles). I bought it new and I love this truck! The truck is 2X4 with a 3.7 V6. I added a K&N air filter, a Lear cap and a rear stabilizer bar. Mileage has consistently been 17 mpg in-town, 21 mpg on the highway (and I consistently drive 75 to 80 mph). Occasionally I pull a 5x10 utility trailer. * _All_ service has been done at the same independent shop * Oil changed religiously every 5000 miles with Mobil 1 - expensive but it's hard to argue with 234,000 miles and still going strong. * Transmission rebuilt at 108,000 miles * Power steering pump replaced around 150,000 * Water pump replaced around 180,000 miles * Front suspension rebuilt @ 200,000 * New radiator and condenser @ 215,000 * New right exhaust manifold @ 225,000 * New front hub assemblies (both) at 230,000

Great Truck

by MikeB from Enfield Ct | March 28, 2015

Bought this truck new in 2004 has 155000 miles on it now. only replaced brakes and water pump, runs like a bear. I love this little truck

Aberdeen Chrysler (South Dakota)

by Jamie from Billings, MT | July 13, 2013

Great truck! Good condition. Runs good. Nice interior. Everything works. Was taken care of by preious owner. Was a good deal for the price I paid. Was a painless and honest experience. Aberdeen was easy to work with in regards to me having vehicle shipped to Montana by United Road. Thanks Brad for everything!

Miss My Dakota

by BK from | July 8, 2013

These trucks are great. Had one with the 4.7 V8 with a k&n intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust. It had excellent power. This truck did everything I wanted it to do, and it does the job of a 1500 series truck. This truck laughs at snow, mud, sand ect. The interior is pretty roomy for a smaller truck. The interior itself is a little boring, but I didn't really care. I wish I never traded it in, but I'm looking to buy another one soon!

Uses car for Off-roading

surprise in a smaller package

by pcard from Wethersfield,Ct | December 5, 2012

First time driving this little truck you feel the power of the 6 cyl motor. the handling is quick and responsive. the truck is very quiet no road noise or rattles. The windshield gives a full view of the road ahead. This is one of the nicest trucks that I've had owned. I would buy this truck again and again.

Uses car for Towing

Rust and Electronic Problems

by Toyota buyer from Moscow, PA | January 3, 2012

With only 85 miles on it, the check engine light came on. Other sending unit lights came on, including crank and cam shaft sensors necessitating the vehicle be towed. The fuel lines, undercarriage, steering knuckle, power steering rack and pressure lines, brake and gas lines all rusted.

04 Dodge Dakota

by kifton from Maine | October 22, 2011

Great little truck with lots of pulling capacity Parts are way to expensive cost $150 for a ball joint

Uses car for Towing

Power + function

by Tonybatozi from Ohio / Rhode Island | January 12, 2011

I have a 2x4, extended cab(2door), 4.7 v8. I think this combo is ideal (at least for me). I put a soft cover on the back, and I have been getting about 22 on the highway, and 16 city. averaged 18 mpg towing a 10' 5,200lb trailer from ohio to RI. bought it with 28,000 miles on it, i now have about 56,000. Never had any problems with it. I have all the towing power I need, combined with a decent size bed at just over 6'. I think the 2x4 is just fine, been through snow/mud whatever and get by just fine. Though I kinda wish that it was a bit higher, at least put some stronger leaf springs in the back. I had a bed full of mulch and was dragging butt all the way home. The engine had no problem, just the suspension feels week under strain.

Not very well made

by Love my Honda from Springdale, AR | November 8, 2010

I bought a 2004 Dakota SXT 4X4 and just traded it in after 84,500 miles. I was very disappointed with the engineering on this truck. I had to replace a power steering motor, a seat frame(really!!), water pump, had to have it tuned up, and when I traded it, it needed brakes, a head gasket, and transmission work. All this and I never towed anything and mainly drove it to work! Ran good, got terrible mileage(13.5mpg), rode rough. Very good 4WD. Traded it on a Honda Ridgeline.

Featured Services for this Dodge Dakota