2000 Dodge Durango

14 city / 18–19 hwy

Overall

Beastly Old Dodge

by Dodge Crazy from Flowery Branch, GA | November 27, 2014

I have to say this is the most reliable SUV I have ever owned. It drives great in the snow, the rain and severe wind storms. It's a little hard on the tires, but that is acceptable. It has a beastly engine(5.9 Magnum), so I can only imagine what it would do with one of the new 8-speed transmissions. We have owned it since 2004, and there were only 1,273 miles on it. We have put at least 170,000 miles on it since we owned it, but it sure as heck keeps up with some of the new ones. Dodge, I applaud you.

Good Solid Truck

by Auburn from North Augusta, South Carolina | November 11, 2014

Bought my Durango new in October 2000 and have really enjoyed it. It has 172,000 miles on it and has always been very reliable. It pulls my bass boat and the four wheel drive works well out in the fields where I hunt. The gas mileage on the road is 21-23 mpg and around 14 - 15 around town. We don't get much snow or ice in South Carolina but when we have this is the vehicle we drive. I have been amazed at the paint job on this now 14 year old truck as it looks almost like new. It is kept outside and sits in the hot Carolina summer sun. I probably would not buy another Dodge Durango as I don't think they can make another one this good. However I have owned two other Dodge vehicles and all have been excellent.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

One Tough Hombre

by Sam from Car has lived in AR, TX, and now MO. | February 21, 2013

My family has owned our 2000 Dodge Durango from mile 14. It currently has 179,127 miles on it. We have not babied this car at all. It sleeps outside, doesn't really get washed, we sometimes miss an oil change and this old girl just keeps going. The very first time I have ever had to take it into the shop occurred last month. We had a very hard freeze (sub-zero temps) and the 7 year old battery died. I jumped it... and then we had the oh-so-infamous idle issues. The car had trouble starting and and I to rev the engine just to keep it going. The minute the RPMs dropped below 1k it would die. So, I paid a local mechanic $65.00 to clean the throttle-body (don't know if there is another name). And he charged the battery (didn't replace it). The old girl runs like new. The milage is not great... and the four-speed really has limits on the interstate. But she still has the will to live and there is just no sense in trading her in for a new 4runner or the like, until the Dodge finally croaks. So here is to Dodge, you often get a bad rap... but this truck is rock solid. Not a cross-over, not a yuppie car... just a good old SUV.

Powerful, solid

by MikeSanJose from San Jose | February 1, 2012

I got a used 2000 durango SLT with 110K miles on it, and it still drives like a new car. The v8 5.9 Magnum is a strong powerplant. I bought the model with the axle-ratio that allows towing of 7300 lbs. Its hard to beat a 4x4 V8 5.9L with that kind of towing power for 5K (which is about what 2000 models with 100K+ go for these days) The drawbacks for me are: Headroom - I am 6'3, and if I slide the seat all the way back, my head often touches the point where the ceiling dips a few inches. My solution is to just not slide the seat all the way back, but I am sacrificing a few inches of leg room. I found the perfect seat adjustment spot, and I leave it at that. Gas Mileage - I actually managed 16.5 MPG driving from San Jose to Portland and back, but around town I typically only get 14MPG. and the 5.9L v8 requires Pemium, so it isnt economic in that regard. Other than that, I enjoy driving it. Lots of power, very solid feeling, engine sounds nice, very responsive, nice acceleration, handles off-road extremely well (as well as my Grand Cherokee), shifts reliably and efficiently.

Excellent vehicle for winter driving

by Up north guy from Green Bay | November 18, 2011

This has been a wonderful vehicle for carrying boards and items we need up north that we would not have been able to transport otherwise. It has 3 seats in which 2 can be laid down for larger items. Have only had to change battery and tires in the years we have had this vehicle. Recently bought a minivan from my son so have to sell one vehicle. So trusting on roads in the winter--will miss it when it's sold.

4.7l

by jim jam from | July 19, 2011

love the looks hate the steering leak. stupid dodge let me down should have never switched from ford!!

2000 dodge durango

by jojo from fargo | May 23, 2011

I just bought this vehicle and I love it so far, we bought this car to get me by for the winter. So far I really like it, It drives really well and it looks awesome for a 10 year old car. The only thing with dodge is that it has car lock issues it starts to make noice in the long run but that could be fixable. I also had a neon before and it did the same thing. But overall, I love this car.

Worst and most unreliable car I've owned

by clkenned from Golden, CO | March 12, 2011

The 2000 model is the worst model of Durango that Dodge made. The motor for the windows dies within a couple of years, once one thing on the engine starts to go everything goes. This vehicle has left several people that I know stranded including me. I will never buy or own a Dodge Durango again.

worst vehicle ever owned

by duddy from | March 9, 2011

I have owned this Dodge for a year and have had nothing but problems. First I had steering problems and heating and air problems. I kept my oil and fluids up to date and out of knowhere the engine starts knocking. Only 130,000 miles on it. Thats not to say that I had engine work done to it when I first got it because it was having problems. Now I owe 5000 on it and need 2000 just to fix it. Wow thanks Dodge Durango for being the worst suv I have ever owned

Amazing for the money

by Challenger Lover from New York | February 14, 2011

My 2000 Durango SLT with the 4.7 v8 does everything i ask of it and more. I bought it with over 100,000 miles and it is going stong. I have put on 25,000 more now and it has no signs of slowing down. The engine makes some noise but that is only the chain tensioner. (a minor issue that just takes alot of time to get to) thats the only reason i havent fixed it yet. My only complaint is the milage. I get about 12 city and 15 highway. it is a good truck that wont leave you and will last for a very long time. It also doesnt look half bad.

Featured Services for this Dodge Durango