2008 Dodge Durango

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Rough Diamond

by Stealthbong from Manama, Bahrain | May 4, 2014

I bought my 2008 Durango Limited 4x4 just over five months ago and first impressions are generally good. The car comes with the 5.7 litre Hemi engine with fuel saver mode. The onboard fuel consumption meter suggests that it doesn't do much good to fuel consumption unless you drive mostly long distance on the highway. But you buy a Hemi for power and sound, not economy, and in this respect, the car delivers. It would be better still if the gearbox was better at reading throttle position - when you put your foot down, sometimes the box overreacts and drops too may gears, and other times it does nothing! Reliability is good, but the car is built down to a price. The suspension is crude and bouncy, the interior materials cheap and not always put together well. I have seat latches and door seals that are coming away. The split 3rd row seats don't fold down well either. It is impossible to get both sides to lie fully simultaneously and neither of them to lie flat at all. Overall though, my driving experience has been positive, and I'd recommend - if you can afford the fuel bills.

perfect size

by Michael from Pennsylvania, South East | July 26, 2013

The Durango is just the right size for my needs. Some mountain (dirt access roads) mostly paved roads. When going to the mountains there is a lot of STUFF that comes along so the interior space is great. Looks are great and hopefully it will have the durability that I got out of my 1999 Durango. The big down side to all trucks and SUV today is they are made for a cushy ride for the average soccer mom. Sometimes you just want a sport vehicle with a little roughness.

2nd time owner of Durango & I love this car!

by Beachmom from Clinton, IL | January 25, 2012

I purchased my second Durango just last week. I love this type of vehicle...very roomy and sturdy. I feel completely safe in it especially while driving in bad weather like snow or ice. I think it's like driving a tank! The particular vehicle I purchased had a few cosmetic flaws which were fixable. I would definitely buy this type of vehicle again!

Durango is the best car on the road.

by durangodriver from PA | September 3, 2011

My 2008 Dodge durango has been perfect. I have 76000 miles on it and have had ZERO problems with it. I love the 4.7 v8 it's very powerful and not that bad on gas. I expect great things from Chrysler all our Chrysler products have been wonderful. I drove a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee before the Durango after a 2005 Rendezvous left my family stranded 5 times in two years. Our Durango has taken such a beating where we live and it refuses to give up on us! The only time it's been in the shop is for oil and tires. It's still on it's original brakes. The A/c is the better than any other car I have had. The AWD works well in the snow and requires no driver interaction. I love the sirius satellite radio. The third row holds two adults comfortably. I've taken 7 people up mountain passes with it and the 4.7 did it with ease. To this day there is no squeeks or rattles everything functions like new. Keep up the good work Chrysler you have a very satisfied customer.

Never had a problem

by CDUnk from Spring Creek PA | June 18, 2011

Our Durango is the most reliable we have ever owned, we've never had a problem with it and I would recommend it to anyone.

needed a vehicle to tow my boat

by Boat tow from Bloomington, IL | July 15, 2010

bought this 2008 new in 2009. I was looking for a vehicle that would tow 5000 pounds and had seating for 7. The chevy Traverse looked great but was way expensive. Same for the Ford Expedition. The Suburban third row seating was a joke. This vehicle is the limited model and was 10k less then its nearest competitor. Small V8 with AWD gets OK mileage only. But has never been short on power. Handles deep snow with no effort. I test drove the SLT model with fabric seats first. Interior construction was cheap. seats were small and hard. Moving up to the Limited gave a better finish and larger, comfortable leather seating. Back up camera is a godsend for towing. Standard suspension is too soft for heavy trailer (even with factory tow package) added gas shocks with relief springs to tame the towing ride. (for about $250) Third row seating is OK for 1 adult or two children. This is a compromise vehicle, however; it is able to do everything you need it to do and still have enough money left to buy the boat.

5 Durangos

by Mike from Fayetteville, GA | January 9, 2009

I have had 5 Durangos and never a problem out of none of them. My wife and I both love driving it and the power of the HEMI is awesome. It's a great car to travel in. The kids love the DVD. They still need to make the interior nicer, but it works.

Disappointing

by Nick A from Detroit, MI | July 1, 2008

I bought a 2008 Dodge Durango SLT and it was perhaps one of the worst buys I have ever made. The first time I took this vehicle on a road trip with my family to Florida, two things went wrong. First, driving through Atlanta, the transmission blew. The car had 3000 miles on it, and the transmission blew. The mechanic told me I was driving too rough. Then, once we were already at the beach, the radio went out. Luckily, all of these were under warranty. Since then I haven't had a problem with it, but the rattles are very loud and the interior quality is incredibly bad. I can't wait to get rid of it.

Strong, Bold and stylish

by Timmer from Duluth Mn | April 26, 2008

I Love the look of and my Durango!! It has a strong look and wide stance that makes it look masculine but a touch of style with it contours. The interior has everything I need and want in a vehicle and more with the all that comes standard on the SLT model and the yes essentials stain resistant fabric. I am in the surveying field so I am outdoors a lot and have equiptment going in and out of my vehicle all the time. Traveling the country in my line of work, I put on a lot of miles so the little extra I get on gas mileage is also very important to me. All around price, value, style, safety wise I would strongly advise all my friends drive a Durango

Just keeps going

by Fascist from Cedar City, UT | January 9, 2008

This Durango is the best vehicle I have ever owned! I can fill it to the brim with all that cargo space, and then go to my destination at a million miles and hour! I was in a wreck with mine. side swiped a car pulling out in front of me. I was going fifty. To drive it now, you can't even tell. If you are thinking of buying one, get the 5.7 liter V8. The noise of the engine at high acceleration is beautiful!!!!!