2009 Dodge Grand Caravan

Available in 3 styles:  2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger Van shown

Overall

I tried to like it

by Westwind from Abington, MA | June 11, 2014

After 5 years and 83K= miles on our van, I would have to say that it is just average. The worst complaint that I have is with the brakes. The front brakes & rotors were replaced @ 21k miles, rear brakes & rotors replaced @ 32k miles. Front rotors resurfaced @ 48k. Paid over $1,500 to get front & rear brakes & rotors replaced @74K miles. Had to bring it back to the dealership @ 80K miles to have the front & rear brakes & rotors replaced again, N/C to us that time. All four tires were replaced @ 56K and we just had the powertrain inspected & fluid replaced for $270. I was driving it last night and turned on the AC - not cold at all. We have one more payment to make this month and I am afraid that the van will slowly nickel & dime us over the next few years. The only bright spot is that it is comfortable on the highway and the 4.0 L engine has been terrific. I don't think we will purchase another Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep vehicle again.

Issues with Reliability

by Usedtolikedodge from Rochester, mn | April 9, 2014

We really liked the van until problems started creeping up. First there was a pin-hole in the air conditioning line that our mechanic had to find. Now we have been having problems with the ignition. I was informed by the dealership it is the WIN module which costs $100 and has $700 in labor. I started doing some research and found that many people have been having this issue but Dodge has not had a recall on it. It doesn't cause a safety issue other than you can't start it after you shut it off. It looks like this issue starts happening around 60-70K mile.

Cheaper, but more expensive.

by shareef777 from Chicago, IL | March 23, 2013

I've owned this car new since 2009. We don't use the vehicle much and keep it local with an annual trip to NC (from Chicago). After four years we only have 25k mi on it. Sadly, it only took 3 years for me to realize how much of a bust this car really is. Between the third and fourth year I've had both sliding doors fail (had to resort to manually operating them), driver side sliding door power lock motor failed, DVD entertainment system failed, as well as the 3rd row power seat fail. Essentially, if I'd of been happy if I'd bought the basic model of the Caravan, but forget about any options because it's obvious Dodge used the cheapest components to could find. Unfortunately, I bought the full loaded one, and for $35k, I'd expect basic features like the sliding door and locks to continue to work after 4 years. At this point, I've been quoted $2k by the dealership to repair all these issues, but for that much money I'd rather put it (along with the car as a trade-in) towards an Odyssey.

Most Valuable Minivan You Can Buy

by FT CARS from Connecticut | March 4, 2013

The most reliable, family-friendly and realistic minivan on the road. Will last forever, fit anything and everything and most importantly isn't slow at all. Also American! Best Minivan For Your Money 2009-2012

Works for Me

by Camper from Quakertown, PA | September 3, 2012

We are retired. We bought a one-year old SXT with a 3.8L engine and 6 speeds. It is now our only vehicle and it has 65,000 miles on it. Except for worn rotors, there have been no unusual repairs. We bought this vehicle for recreational travel instead of getting a camper. We leave the stow n go seats permanently stowed. The ample cargo area holds a layer of coolers, bins, camp chairs, etc, that support a trimmed sheet of plywood with a camping matress. Both the vehicle itself and the cargo configuration worked well during a 10,000 mile road trip out west. Power is adequate for western mountains. Manual override to select from many gear speeds is handy on descent. We can get 22 mpg on the highway. We are happy with our 'camper' van and have accumulated great memories.

5th Caravan and still love them

by road rep from Southern Calif | December 23, 2011

I'm closing in on 50,000 miles and have had no problems Still have the factory brakes and tires I love the power from the 4.0 engine and the electric sliding doors. I look forward to driving this van another 100,000 miles

2009 Grand Caravan SE a Great Value

by Working Guy from Alberta, Canada | January 31, 2011

It rides and drives perfect in my opinion, we have had no issues or warranty repairs. Owned it for over a year and a half now. I really like this Caravan, nice ride, good overall vehicle for day to day driving, hauling the kids or whatever else one may want to move. The optional Sto & Go seats makes it a cargo van and a people mover. Surprised how often we have folded the seats into the floor to make room while hauling stuff in the time that we have owned this one. I also like smooth. The SE model comes with a smooth running proven 3.3 engine hooked to a very nice shifting 4 speed auto transmission. It's simple, easy to clean, yet an elegant design of the interior. The boxy exterior design fits it well for the function this vehicle is intended to serve. This is our third brand new caravan since 1995 and it is the best value and nicest one so far. For you people out there looking at Honda or Toyota that cost up to 10 thousand more I would tell you to save your money. I looked around before buying Dodge again and I know. Take a good look at a Grand Caravan, there is a reason they are the number one selling van in North America. The best advice that I can give you is to take a good look at the features of a caravan and then compare feature for feature with the competition. While your looking take whatever your considering buying for a long test drive. Please keep one thing in mind when test driving new cars. Most new cars never have any gas in the tank when your on a test drive. Why? I think it is because they really don't want you to drive the vehicle and get the feel of it. Don't be pressured into a run around the block!!!! You need to put in some gas and "really take whatever you looking at for a test drive". ( When I read over what I have typed here it sounds like I am a salesman. Just to be clear I am not a salesman nor am I associated with the car industry in any way, this is just my review of our current Grand Caravan SE. Yes, I like it. )

Horrible Brake Issues

by Soccor Mom from Altoona PA | September 29, 2010

I bought this vechile in June 2009. I had to change the rotors and brakes in Feb 2010, May 2010, July 2010, Sept 2010. Dodge extended the brake warrenty, but basically doesn't care. I have to now change my brakes w/ every oil change. We are obviously searching for a new vechile. The car does have good qualities, but they are overshadowed by being in the garage every other month.

2009 Grand Caravan SXT

by Van Man from Iowa | August 26, 2009

Love this van so far. Very comfy and the 4.0 has some real power. The ride is smooth and the braking system is very nice. The handling is good with the suspension package that comes with the 4.0 liter motor. Swivel n Go seats are nice with built in boosters and I found them more comfy than the Stow and Go. The premium sound is incredible and the kids love having their own DVD screen that operate independently with wireless headphones. The running boards are more of a problem than they are worth. They actually make getting in and out more difficult. Stay away from the running boards unless you really like the way they look. Backup camera is ok but not nearly as useful as the NAV package. Very nice ride.

Great New Van

by Westwind from Abington, MA | July 13, 2009

My wife and I purchased a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 4.O L 5 weeks ago to replace a 99 DGC Sport that was 10 years old w/ 156K miles. Have been on two trips to NH and ME. On last trip van got an overall 26.9 mpg! Love the larger engine, 6 speed transmission, stow & go seating, Sirus radio and ride quality. My wife likes the heated leather seats. My only complaint so far is that the switch gear could be better ( turn signals, door locks ). The dealership was excellent to deal with and we also got 0.0% financing. Have 1,500 miles on the van right now. Will report later. So far, so good. I would recommend and purchase again!