2012 Dodge Grand Caravan

Available in 4 styles:  2012 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger Van shown

17 city / 25 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Continuous brake problem and axle problem

by former dodge customer from Texas | March 31, 2014

Serious continuous brake problems, also serious axle problem, only 40K miles. The older models I had were so reliable and ran forever. My mechanic says they have seen lots of newer ones with problems

Give me a 'brake'

by Dalcowguy from USA | January 20, 2014

I'll just cut to the chase. Great engine, so-so transmission (6 gears is 2 too many), and the worst set of brakes I've ever had on any vehicle. I have 60K on my 2012, and I'm about to put my third set of brakes on this car. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Good van except for the brakes

by Relic from Port Elgin, Ontario Canada | November 4, 2013

We have owned this van since new, it now has 45 k on it. Replace the front rotors as they were warped. The back brakes got hot due to sticking and had to be cleaned at 28 K. The brakes seem to get dirty and start making noise after 6 months of driving. I have been cleaning and lubing the brakes every time I do a spring fall tire swap. Worst brakes I have ever had on a vehicle. Have a 2006 Honda CRV with 150 K on it and have not had to touch the brakes. OK vehicle if you can do your own maintenance but otherwise it will cost you a fortune.

scared the mess outta me

by Worried about putting my family in this car from milford Delaware | September 3, 2013

I loved this van until I was driving home from church and it jerked really hard, after continuing for 3 mile it jerked a few more times. Came home let the car sit for an hour went back out and the van wouldnt go faster then 40 mph wouldnt shift gears and was continuously jerking. I brought the van in 2 weeks after purchasing for the jerk in the down shift once it hit 15 mph every time and they said" it was just the way the engine was made", no problem but 2 months later now this! I will be getting a new vehicle!

Another good one

by DrMaryG from Decatur, Georgia | August 12, 2013

I replaced my 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 2012. I was impressed by the new features. I love the sto and go seats that allow me to configure the seats and storage space in multiple ways to meet whatever needs I may have. I like the gas mileage calculator built in and the fact that I got 25 MPG on a recent long trip. I like the fact that I have TWO trip mileage calculators. I set one to track the miles from my last oil change and one for my current trip so that I can easily record my business miles. I like being able to track miles to my gas tank will be empty or the miles accumulated so far. The cruise control is neat as is the ability to adjust the radio and CD from the steering wheel. I like sending my mp3 player output through the radio. I like having two glove compartments... one for important papers and one for my emergency raincoat and flashlight and, and. Perhaps most people are looking for different things in their reviews, but what else is there to say. Dodge Grand Caravans are noted for their safety and mileage for size and durability. I expect that when I select the Dodge Grand Caravan. The things that I have listed are the frosting on the cake that make me feel happy with my practical choice.

Grand Caravan 2012 Engine Problem

by Disappointed_Grand Caravan_Owner from Morgan Hill, CA | July 30, 2013

We bought our Dodge Grand Caravan Sept 2011, about 8 months later (April 2012) the car kept displaying "check engine" light periodically. It took us about 4 trips to the Dodge dealer before they were able to figure out the root cause. They finally had to replace the CAM on the engine. Even though the car is under warranty (so we did not have to pay for the repair) it took a lot of time for us to schedule for diagnostic. The actual down time once the problem is root cause was another 10 days. Now, July 2013, we have encountered another problem. The car suddenly come out of gear while we were driving on the road. car constantly rev up the RPM but car was not moving. I called in an authorized dealer they said that they cannot estimate and figure out whether the car is under warranty with the root cause of this particular problem. I would have to bring the inoperable car to the dealer somehow and pay for the diagnostic check. If it is under warranty repair then the company will absorb the cost if not i have to pay for the diagnostic and any needed repair. This is my first American brand vehicle and will probably be my last.

Stay away! 2011 Canada Value Package

by Jim Bob from South Woodslee, Ontario | July 12, 2013

Company car, cost me nothing so I've no axe to grind. Equivilant to a base model I think. Front seats especially drivers on has no lumbar support after a 2hr hour drive I cant walk. Seats stain really easily some sort of velour finish that attracts dirt. Carpets hold dirt even worse, have an industrial shock vac and that cant move half the dirt. Front brake rotors have been machined twice and replaced twice in 130,000klm now juddering again Rear brake pad make a horrendous knocking noise on rough pavement. Engine is fantastic good acceleration and economy. Worst bit is the transmission, all gear changes are jerky, with the economy button on gear changes are like being rear ended at 50mph....no joke Its been in the dealers about 7 times for this, they always say the same "its a software issue!" what does that mean you ain't gonna fix it? And that's two different dealers. AVOID AVOID AVOID

love our stow and go grand caravan

by sheila from Grand Prairie, TX | July 4, 2013

We bought a pre-owned 2006 Grand Caravan in 2008. For the last 5 years we have LOVED our Grand Caravan! It is just perfect for being a car and/or a potential cargo carrier. The seats fold completely flat because of that stow and go feature. Our old one had all the features with the entertainment console on the ceiling. The car beeps when I'm about to hit something when I'm backing up. My 2006 just turned over the 100,000 mile so I wanted to get the exact same vehicle just younger. We found a Grand Caravan Crew at Holt in Arlington. They gave us a really good deal. The remote for the video was missing but Holt ordered me a new one for no charge. I really appreciate the way they treated us and we LOVE our new car. Couldn't be happier! Happy Happy Happy! : )

Good van

by DodgeCaravanOwner from The Villages Florida | May 27, 2013

I looked at new 2013's. Research showed Dodged cheapened the interior somewhat for 2013. I considered the 2011 as this was the "new" Dodge Caravan and interior was improved over previous years but they decided to go backwards, I have read. 2013 also came out with the "Family value Package". be careful what is advertised as "SE" as they are actually "FVP". The FPV does not have rear air and has bench seats. It is the base model in 2013. I bought a 2012 Caravan. Later Dodge caravan models have the most room than other vans. You can get a full 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in after folding the seats. Cons: Dodge is still needing to solve the vibrating front disk brake rotors. I am assuming the braking warps the rotors under heat and the front shimmys. When you break in your van, stay back from the traffic and brake sooner to save wear. My van had 20000 miles and still was in new condition. The thermostat/radiator cap/ was cracked and need replacement (under warranty) The Yokohama tires still seem to slightly pull to the right even after an alignment. BUT...make sure you have the dealer maintainence it! The computer software upgrade for the side door sensitivity and the engine performance was kickin! Just tap the pedal and you are off! I also like the transmission shift in the 2012 and using it to manually downshift when going up hill, etc can save fuel and give better performance. So far so good...bought mine from a used car dealer in Citrus county Florida. He bought it off an auction. it had a minor accident on the Carfax. He replaced the rear hatch door with a primer door from Dodge, had it professionally painted and put all the mouldings back on and I swear you cannot tell. Great job. Buying like this saved me about $2000 off the wholsale price. These vans are going for $18,000 plus at auction, so they are holding thier value very nicely!

Great family hauler

by zoobadger from Chicago, IL | April 2, 2013

We have the Grand Caravan Crew version, including one flip down video screen, Sirius radio, backup camera, remote starter, bluetooth, power side doors and power liftgate. The same feature set on the Odyssey or the Sienna would have pushed the price well north of 30K. In addition to the obvious benefits of built in video, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that mom and dad can listen to the radio while the kids use wireless headphones for their movies. There's an inverter to power small electronics along with two plugs in front, and endless places to stow gear and supplies. The UConnect system is intuitive and easy to navigate. It's a little bit of a reach to access some of the touchscreen controls but that's a minor quibble. I regret not having the GPS since the screen is large and readable. The ride and seats are reasonably comfortable, especially considering that the seats disappear into the floor. The V6 has very good power and is a nice, smooth engine. On the minus side, lack of an independent rear suspension is notable - the back end feels rough over over bumpy pavement. And the transmission is a weakness. Downshifts are delayed and awkward on acceleration and I've had to learn to finesse the accelerator a little bit to compensate. Still, when you need power, it's readily available. It's surprisingly nimble and provides a feeling of confidence even in crowded city driving. Braking is excellent, especially for such a large vehicle. For the price, a few tradeoffs are inevitable and Dodge has done a good job of providing all the essentials without a budget busting pricetag. The fully loaded Grand Caravan is undoubtedly superior to the stripped down versions of the pricier Japanese competitors. I'd recommend that anybody considering the Sienna or Odyssey take a good long look at the Grand Caravan. You can take a pretty fancy family road trip with all the money you'll save.