1999 Dodge Intrepid

1999 Dodge Intrepid

Available in 2 styles:  Intrepid 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Mine has 230000 and still running...

by Jessica from midwest | April 12, 2014

I am in love with the Dodge Intrepid, provided it has the right engine. There are little quirks about needing specific coolant and the expensive transmission fluid. However, if you do these things and maintain it, it will run forever. This is my 3rd Intrepid, I upgraded each time. I wish they still made them. The wide wheel base makes it work well in snow and ice, common here in the Midwest. The trunk space could fit a family inside, if you ever wanted to try it out. :) It has great leg room in the back seat even for my teenage boy. It does have little interior quirks like the cup holders are very prone to breaking and visor clips are chinsy. Overall great car!

Great Car!

by Banter of Gunfire from Augusta, KS | July 20, 2013

I bought the 3.2L ES used about 2 months ago. Love it so far. I've owned a few other Dodges (99 Grand Caravan, 01 Neon RT, 05 Durango, still own Caravan and Durango) and this lives up to the Dodge name just as well. I bought this car because I needed something that was practical and had kick without buying an underpowered Neon (The R/T was fast, but a gas guzzler for 4 cylinders, and I didn't want a base model). These cars have decent mpg with a low ride and a sporty look. I recommend this for commuters and students.

Wish they still made them

by 211000 and counting from Missouri | April 19, 2012

This car has the 2.7 Liter engine. I have always kept the oil changes up. The only engine problem I ever had was a broken timing chain tensioner which I consider routine. After replacing the timing set it has ran just fine for another 13000 miles and shows no signs of stopping any time soon. This is a very roomy car and it has a sleek yet elegant style body. I just wish they still made them.

Not to bad, but more problems than we counted on..

by Haki Wonton Soup from Covington, KY | April 12, 2012

A friend at our church gave our family a 1999 Dodge Intrepid as a replacement for our inefficieant 2004 Kia Sedona minivan, but we also no longer have the Intrepid either. It was quite roomy, with comfortable front seats, and an adequately comfortable rear bench. Probably would have been a bit more comfortable if it had rear headrests. The seats also had cigarette burns in them; gross. Interior storage was sparse, with no pockets on the front seats for the rear passengers and no rear cupholders or center console. I'm assuming this is because we had the base model? Anyway, on to the mechanics. Our car had the 2.7L V6 engine, which I had previously read on the intenet that this engine has sludge buildup issues. The motor in ours has corrosion on it, and the engine itself was quite dirty. This car had not been taken care of. Acceleration was pretty peppy for 200 horsepower pulling 3,500 pounds of Intrepid. The car smoked a lot out of the exhaust pipe, even when parked, which I could tell was a bad sign. We ater traded our Intepid in for another car, a 2003 Hyundai XG350L. Overall, the '99 Intepid wasn't a terribly bad car, but it definiely wasn't a good one. If you want an Intrepid, it would probably be best to buy a 2000-2004 model instead of a 1998-1999.

140K and counting

by IES99 from SC | May 29, 2009

I bought this 1999 Intrepid ES brand new in March, 1999. It now has 140,000 miles. The best things about this car are it's incredible roominess. The back seat is like a limousine and there is a nice big trunk. The 3.2 L 24 valve V6 has been great: no oil has ever been added between changes and it still runs strong. The Autostick 4 speed has been fine. Maintenance other than oil and filter: Brakes once, inner tie rod bushings and alignment: once, radiator fans: once. It is the car last likely to roll over: it sits down low. Infinity stereo system has been fine. I would buy another if Chrysler still made these. If you are interested in Intrepids: stay away from 1998-2001 models with the 2.7 liter V6. Definitely go for the 3.2 in cars of that vintage.

Not reliable

by Jeff from Detroit | April 15, 2009

I bought a used 1999 Intrepid 30 days after i got it the motor went out. It had 73000 miles on it. i reseached it and the untreoids that came with a 2.7 DOHC Motor dont buy it.There are last i checked 160 thousand complaints on this car. Put another motor in it and about 10000 miles later that one went bad.So do yourself a favor and if you buy one make sure it does not have the 2.7 DOHC motor.

dodge intrepid

by nikki from houston | January 10, 2009

intrepid are good car i will get 100 more because i love it if i had the money to buy every color will

Great Value, Comfortable Sporty Family Car

by Family Man from Frederick, MD | May 14, 2008

My Intrepid has provided 7 years of excellent service. I had two minor problems, both covered under warranty. It makes a nice family car with it's large back seat and trunk, but still looks sporty, and it's fun to drive. It has some nice features like the trip computer and an Infinity sound system. I'm pleased with the fuel economy. Averages 23 mpg around town, 28 mpg on the highway.

One on my Favorite cars i have ever owned

by Intrepidman from WI | January 15, 2007

I have loved the look of the car from the first time i saw this car. Never had a problem with this car, or any of the others i have owned (total of 3), all ended up with 170,000 plus miles when i was retired the car(s). My rating was compared to the other cars in its class, i have driven.

History of problems

by Big D from Dallas Tx | December 22, 2006

First and last dodge or chrysler i would ever buy. would take one if it was new and free. Constact back to back PROBLEMS car cost more to maintain than its worth. From the cost of tires needed to the type of oil this car is designed for a garage not the Highway

Featured Services for this Dodge Intrepid