2002 Dodge Intrepid

2002 Dodge Intrepid

Available in 4 styles:  2002 Dodge Intrepid 4dr Sedan shown

See Photos & Videos

Overall

I have never enjoyed driving a car this much!

by Smoothdrive from Eastern Washinton | May 20, 2014

We bought our 2002 Intrepid three years ago. It is now 12 years old, just passed 100,000 miles, and the only major repair we have made was replacing the fuel pump. That is to be expected on a car of this age and mileage. We have the 3.5L V6, which I gather is MUCH better than the smaller engines. The engine on this thing just purrs, and it can accelerate fast and smooth. It handles beautifully. I love driving this car! It still looks current, which is amazing for a 12-year-old car. The paint has held up well, despite very hot summers where we live. The interior space and trunk space are just amazing! The biggest reason we bought this car is to have space for all three of our teenage children in the back. Even my 6'2" son has enough head and foot room. The only negative in my experience is that the car as a timing BELT, not a chain. We had to have that replaced as prevetative maintenance, as that was not cheap. But we should be good now for the next 100,000 mile. Looking forward to driving them!

BEST HANDLING & MOST COMFORTABLE CAR I EVER OWNED

by Car Browser from Herkimer County, NY | January 22, 2014

I purchased a used 2004 Intrepid SE which was loaded with options. This car is the best car I have ever driven. It handled curves and corners like you were on a straight away - never any fish tailing even on snow covered roads. I always called it my road hugger. As far as comfort and convenience as to where everything was located, it was the best. Another thing that I loved about this car was the paint on the car. It's 10 years old and does not have a speck of rust on it. I never had to put a penny into the car except for oil changes and a set of brakes. Then when the car hit over 100,000 miles, I decided I better get an additive for the radiator to keep it clean and also an oil additive to keep the motor clean. I also added a gas additive to keep the fuel injectors clean. Shortly after that, I developed a leak in the cooling system. The way it is designed, you could not crawl under the car and see where it was coming from. The coolant looked like it was dripping from everywhere underneath the hood. There are a lot of covers underneath the car to protect it from rusting out and it also caught the coolant and it dripped from there. I don't know if the problem was caused by the car itself or if it was all the things I added to the car fluids. At any rate, I still do not know, but the mechanic thinks it has a blown head gasket now and the car will not start. I love the car. I just don't know if I loved it too much by adding all the additives. I never had to do any repairs to the suspension or anything else and it has a 107,000 miles on it. I loved this car and I am having a hard time finding a car that I like that much. I felt so safe driving that car because of the way it squatted and hugged the road on the curves. I would recommend this car to anyone because it got me through many winters without slipping on the road. It was always dependable and never let me down until the end.

Biggest mistake I've ever made.

by S.R. from Ontario | September 5, 2013

This was the first car I ever bought, and throughout the two years I owned it, I put more money into than I paid for it. At first the shift cable snapped, then the emergency breaks went. Then I had to replace the tie rods, the struts, the battery (twice), the alternator, and then the transmission. Then I found out I had to replace the ball joints and the engine mount, and shortly after this, the engine died on me. It was such an awful and expensive experience. I used this car to commute to work and school, and this car left me stranded on the highway on multiple occasions. The air conditioning and the heat stopped working, and it definitely made it tough commuting in the winter and the summer. I should have gotten rid of it at the first sign of trouble, but purchasing a new car was not an option I could use at the time. I would not recommend this car to anyone. It's not a safe car and I'm surprised they're still being allowed on the road. Safe yourself the hassle and purchase a more reliable car.

Most reliable car ever !

by BadBoy2277 from Northampton Mass. | September 3, 2013

This car was a sheer joy to own. Never causing me any problems. I was always so proud of that fact. It never needed more than the basics oil change, tune up, tires. I owned mine for almost 5 years and never even needed brakes. Whenever I took a long trip I never had a worry If I was going to make it back home My R/T got me there and back without even so much as a hick up. Huge trunk lots room for all your stuff. You could almost put your whole garage in there. Great gas mileage I think it was because it was so aerodynamic. That and the 3.5 L V6 That ran like a charm. I loved mine I wish I never sold it.

Great First car

by Dodge4life from Michigan | April 28, 2013

I have the 2002 3.5L and it is fast enough for fun, but slow enough to stay safe. It is an extremely comfortable car to drive.

Most Unreliable Car I've Owned

by Sadden Buyer from Lancaster, PA | February 23, 2013

This car is known to have their engines blown and are very expensive to fix if you are even able to find a replacement.

Only get the 3.5L v-6 if getting a Intrepid.

by DodgeFreak13 from Alma, WI USA | January 6, 2013

Most of the Intrepid's that had the 2.7L and 3.2L engine went to rental car fleets, that's why that Engine/Transmission has so many problems, If you can find one, get the Intrepid with the 3.5L engine in the SXT or the R/T Models.

worst car ever!!!!!

by former interpid owner from Wylie, TX | October 25, 2012

got the car at 119k about a month later the struts go out and then that where it all started next you know the whole engine goes haywire id had the car for about 6 to 8 months when finally the engine gave out on me and left me stranded it had 135k on it i put around 3 to 5 gs on repairs and parts and now because of that I don't think I can trust dodge or get another dodge car

Great First Car!

by DarrenLP from Pennsylvania | July 1, 2012

Bought this car as my first car from my grandmother and I think it'll run for at least 10 more years (currently at 82k miles). It's the 3.5L engine, which are known to run perfectly, as opposed to the 2.7L.

wish they still made it

by past spirit owner from novi, mi | January 8, 2012

I own a 2002 3.5L V6 Dodge Intrepid ES. Purchased new . It has been very reliable. Great style, sporty, fun to drive. Handles the road great in both dry and wet/snow pavement. Takes the bumps - though you can feel them. Have had NO problems with it. Gas mileage was just as they said it would be 18 city, 26 hwy. -which is good considering the size. Huge trunk - can fit my bike in it. IF THEY STILL MADE IT I WOULD BUY A NEW ONE!!

Featured Services for this Dodge Intrepid