2009 Dodge Journey

2009 Dodge Journey

Available in 5 styles:  2009 Dodge Journey 4dr AWD shown

Overall

Nice looking car I bought it used

by Leonardo from Red bank New Jersey | June 22, 2014

I search for two weeks in a lot car dealers, comparing cars and models and prices and this was the best I could find in Princeton New Jersey and happy with this car the color interior and exterior thanku cars.com.

Very Reliable

by sonreg from | May 23, 2014

I purchased this vehicle used and have had no problems. It handled extremely well this past winter, always started with no problem, never got stuck in the snow. Very comfortable ride.....I consider this to be a good quality vehicle.

Too many issues

by UNHAPPY from MEDFORD, OR | February 14, 2014

I purchased this vehicle new in 2009 and there has been nothing but problems with it. Twice I have major engine problems which took the dealer 2 weeks to fix, and now I have water leaking from the roof of my car.....not really sure where its coming from but I've had it with this car, I purchased the extended warranty and the Warranty Plus for life and they are saying that the contract does not cover the LEAKING!!

love this suv

by paula from tullahoma tn | February 9, 2014

We love this car its comfortable on long trips. Gets up and moves for an suv.Would buy again and will we have the sxt model.

I HATE THIS CAR

by Dawnny from Detroit, MI | September 25, 2013

I bought the car brand new in 2009. Within the first year, less than 15,000 miles I was told I needed new front brakes. When I questioned how is that possible I was told it's probably your driving style. I contacted the corporate office and was given the same answer. Two months after paying for brakes the company issued a recall. Fastforward to 2012...my car overheated as I was driving home from work on a 6 lane highway. At that time I was told my water pump malfunctioned. 3 months later the check engine light comes on & I'm told I need a coolant reservoir $200. Two weeks later it overheats again. Now I'm told the reservoir was never the issue. Yesterday the engine light comes on again. Now I'm told over $2500 worth of repairs are needed. I will be picking up my new Buick lacrosse tomorrow!!! Don't buy this car unless it's a life or death situation!!!!!!!

Randomly does not start

by Unhappy owner from NJ | September 10, 2013

I have a 2009 SE and have owned this car since 2010 when it was purchased with 36,000 mi. it was very reliable for the first 2 years but for the last 6 months it is falling apart. Most notably and frustratingly it randomly does not start. the battery has been replaced (100.00) the starter (500.00) the ignition (350.00) the TPM($1200.00) and the alternator (625.000) the problem persists. The car will be functioning fine but randomly will not crack or turn over. power and mechanical systems appear fine but it won't start. The dealer cannot diagnose the problem. I just spent over a thousand dollars on the TPM because this was his best guess and two weeks later I was stuck for 2 hours before it would start. after a time it starts right up like it never had a problem. Dodge denies there is an issue but there are websites devoted to this specific concern. (type " my journey won't start" into any search engine and see what I mean") this car is a total lemon and now I have a 4 year old car that is so unreliable I don't want my wife to drive it around with the kids in it.

I drive everywhere

by Busy man from Bay Area, CA | February 5, 2013

We go the car used in 2010. It had the best styling we thought since it's based off of the Avenger. We were okay about the power, but not so much about the fuel economy. We bought a dodge because it's what we can afford. Just recently the car began to over heat. We got this fixed twice, but it was the dealers fault because the put in the wrong part. On the highway it has a really good ride. Sometimes, if your on a highway and your cruising up a hill you will definitely have to push the car. Honestly, the car has the best acceleration I have ever seen on a SUV. We regret buying the first year of production of the car, but we might consider buying a Dodge Journey again we actually love this car.

Be sure to pay for the Extended warranty

by Noway from Macomb Twp, MI | September 25, 2012

I bought my 09 Journey Pre-Owned Certified one year ago. I've had to take it for new rotors, which ok that could be considered regular maintenance. the garage door opener in the visor quite working. A month ago the car started blowing white smoke out of the tail pipe. We took it to the get it checked out. We were told we needed an oil change and a new intake air manifold. One week later the dome lights started flickering, the radio controls on the steering went out. Then, the car died. We jumped it and the mileage reset itself. The car died again after the first jump. We took it to the service department again. This time it is the instrument cluster the was putting out to high a voltage and draining the battery. I'm very unsatisfied. After having the car for only a year and it's pre-owned certified this shouldn't be happening. Unreliable and not a deal at all! I won't be getting a Dodge again nor will I ever recommend one to anyone. Oh and I even call Chrysler corp to see if they would consider having it fixed for free. I've gotten the run around and been told that because of the mileage and it isn't under warranty no one can do anything. I guess Dodge can only gaurantee their cars will work for a year or two maybe.

great bang for the buck

by basschico from San Antonio | August 24, 2012

Bought new in 09/recall gave me all new brakes in the front .25000 mile later,this suv runs like a swiss clock.Very reliable and quiet and fun to drive.came with a lifetime warranty from Dodge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incredibly unreliable

by Momof2 from Cincinnati, Ohio | July 10, 2012

I bought this car thinking it would be a great family car. For two small kids, it is generally comfortable, however, I agree that the third row is largely useless. Entertainment system is a nice bous. My biggest issue is the overall reliability of the car. It has been in the shop for numerous issues - brakes and rotors several times, steering column, random noises that could not be accurately diagnosed, starter issues. My current problem is the all wheel drive, which apparently had a hole in it, caused my entire transmission to shut down. Even better, the part is back ordered, so the dealership can't tell me at this point when my car will be fixed. This is the last of a long string of times my car will be out of commission, as I will be switching to Ford to have a car that I can count on.