1996 Dodge Neon

Est. MPG

28 city / 38 hwy

See Photos & Videos

Overall

The best compact car of its day

by w103rtm from Dayton, OH | February 8, 2012

It's 2012 and I still drive my 1996 Neon, it has 220K on the odometer. To this day, this car is Chrysler's best compact car because this car (even with its now underpowered engine by modern day standards) has a high power to weight ratio and at the drag strip I can still beat most brand new compact cars. Although part of the reason new compacts get beat by me is because of the modern day safety standards which add significant weight to a modern day vehicle. My neon was originally an automatic and I could consistently get 32-33 mpg per tank, which includes in city and hwy driving. 3 years ago I converted it to a 5-speed (for fun) and I consistently get 36-40 mpg per tank, thus this car if made by Chrysler today would be Chrysler's most "green" vehicle. At 20K the headgasket went, which is one of the only black marks against the car, luckily this was fully covered under warranty at the time. Otherwise the only maintenance has been routine fluid changes. The timing belt and water pump were replaced at 100K and 200K (preventitive maintenance). The fuel pump was replaced at 160K, because it went bad. The original alternator and starter were replaced at 200K (they were going bad). Original struts were replaced at 160K (still not convinced they were bad yet). Also at 180K the original control arm bushings were replaced with polyeurethane bushings which significantly improved handling, significantly reduced cabin vibration, and eliminated any and all steering wheel shake. Also the A/C evaporator was replaced at 180K due to a hole that developed. All in all the engine and tranny (the auto and manual) had/have always been solid. 150K-200K out of the accessory components is pretty darn good.

Awesome Neon

by Diesel580ck from Florida | December 12, 2009

I had a 1996 2dr highline 2.0L SOHC 132HP 5 speed. It got 36mpg on the highway. Never broke down very reliable it was blue and I had white racing strips painted on it like the viper of that year and had "babyviper" put on the windshield and back window. The babyviper was a very good small car, every bit as good as an other small car of the time.

My first car

by Blue from | April 27, 2009

I've had my dodge neon for about 5 years now. I have to say it was very reliable and it was definitely the best I've ever driven as far as handling goes. I'm comparing it to a jetta, a ford taurus, a few different trucks, a honda del sol, and an old stationwagon. I've driven alot more of course but those the most. It definitely got great gas milage, was cheap on repairs and maintenance (oil change, etc.), great steering, very comfortable seats, no noticable blind spots (I could see everything around the car easily), and it has been very reliable. I got the car in 2004 and I've put a lot of miles and stress on it, and it's still holding up, which is saying quite a bit since it endured my teenage years, haha. I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about getting a neon.

Best for you buck

by robbydodge_2000 from Austin, MN | November 13, 2006

I think any neon is a good investment...they are a dime a dozen and reliable too. The only thing I ever did on mine mechanically was replaced the thermostat and that was like $10 and it took 10 minutes to do.

Featured Services for this Dodge Neon