1997 Dodge Neon

29.1 city / 39.2 hwy

Overall

Gas Saver

by SIssy from Asheville NC | March 15, 2014

I've had my dodge neon since 1997. It's always been reliable. The cost and car is minable. Seats comfortably. Saving gas is a big issue and when others are paying higher out of pocket, I don't. It's a four cylinder car and I like it, at the gas pumps. Good gas mileage in and out of town. Pop open trunk,, kid safe door locks, and back window's roll down part way for again safety issues, love this car, can't go wrong owning it, at all. I purchased this car new in Las Vegas Nevada, now living in WNC, my little dodge keeps me a going.

Value right here.

by Rocco4117 from Albany, ny | April 5, 2012

Ive owned 3 Dodge Neons in 10 years. All have been reliable to me (because I properly maintain them) About $15k total investment between all 3 of them. Reccomend a manual transmission for increased reliability. These cars are NOT meant to last years and years. They were $12k new. in 2010 you could get a used one for $3k. If it lasted you 1 year, it did its job. Dont complain about the car when its the owner that cheaped out. Also, buy from a dealer who offers a 1 year warranty with every vehicle. my last neon's auto transmission failed within 6 months, and it was 100% replaced and paid for by the dealer. Buy smart.

Most fun I've had yet.

by Chris from Cedar Falls, IA | March 18, 2012

While this car isn't what I would call a good investment by any means, it was by far the most enjoyable driving experience I've ever had from my first few cars. I WOULD ONLY SUGGEST GETTING IT IN MANUAL TRANSMISSION, OR YOU'RE ASKING FOR ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS. I prefer it over my Grand Prix or S-10 any day. In the first 13 years of it's lifetime, it blew a headgasket ($800), and the paint peeled due to a factory defect, but that was it. After 2010 it completely fell apart unfortunately, with a repair bill of $2500. After selling it, I would gladly go back and pay the $2500 to keep going in it. It was the most fun car I've driven to date.

Best vehicle I've owned.

by Nice to have car from Illinois | April 6, 2011

I love this car to death! It gets excellent mpg. I wish it had rear defrost, power windows, power doors, overdrive is what I really wish it had, and cruise control but that's extra stuff to worry about messing up and having to pay to fix them. There's one thing I have an issue with it's really difficult to find a back up light switch for the back up lights to come on going in reverse at local auto parts store. Overall it's a great car!

first car-worst car.

by monster girl from Chicago, IL | March 3, 2010

My parents bought me this car so I wouldn't have to bother them for theirs and work around their schedules in August of '09. Things were fine at first, until the engine started rattling obscenely loud. By the time winter came around, this car sounded like an old man with a 70 year smokers cough. Just after owning the car for 6 months, my transmission started to go, and I can no longer accelerate in reverse. It's not even worth the price to have it's issues fixed. Do yourself a favor and look for another car, these have a history of bad transmissions

Worst car we've ever owned

by Exaybachay from Iowa | August 17, 2009

We bought this car in 2000 or 2001, when it was only a few years old, expecting to have a car that would last us many years. Within the first year we owned it we spent more than $1,500 on repairs. Ours was white, and the paint came off in sheets every time we washed the car. By the time we got rid of it 2 years later, only half the car still had paint on it, and the rest was bare metal. I have seen other white Neons with the same problem, but no other colors seem to have it. None the less, the engine problems and repair costs made this our worst car experience ever, and I would only wish this car on people I truly detest.

First Car Owned

by lilbrat from Ontario Canada | September 30, 2007

This is my first car owned. I have had it since high school and it hasnt let me down yet. There has only been 2 owners before me, all of which I knew. The car is still in excellent running condition and is still working.

Great car

by JJ from Utah | May 11, 2007

I bought a Dodge Neon for 45 dollars. the timing belt was ruined and the guy told me if i paid the tow price i could have it. it has been a great car ever sence i learned to drive a manual in it been in one wreck with it got rear ended hit the bumper absorber and just scratched the bumper. its a 1997 dodge neon highline best car i've owned

Good base with great potential

by Joe from British Columbia | March 22, 2007

When I was first considering purchasing this vehicle, I didn't think that I would like it very much, mainly because of the exterior styling and all the rumors I have heard about the neons. The only reason I was considering it was because it was available for a very affordable price at the car dealership I work at, I needed something for the time being that was good on fuel, and frankly almost anything would be better than the 1985 Plymouth Reliant i was driving at that time; however, after the first test drive my prejudices disappeared. For an economy car, the acceleration, not to mention the smooth gearbox, outdoes the majority of the competition, and the handling in stock base form is downright amazing... and I do not comment on the handling lightly. In the course of my employment at various big name car dealerships, I've often been behind the wheel of top end sports cars (Viper SRT10, Corvette Z-06, etc.), and this car far surpassed all of my expectations. I never thought I would say this, but, Good Job Chrysler!

aweful car

by Steve from Ohio | October 28, 2006

I had this car for a month before i had to put $600 in repairs for it. When i got the car back my mechanic said i could have died because when he jacked up the car the rear struts and spring fell out. The serpintine belt fell off 3 times and i had this car for only 4 months and it fell off twice in 1 month. The interior design is aweful and 1 sided it takes long for the heater to warm up. The A/C refuses to charge and power door locks dont work and power windows jam often. dont get this car unless u get it for free

Featured Services for this Dodge Neon