2000 Dodge Neon

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great On Gas!!!!

by lea from concord ca | March 3, 2013

This car is the best on gas ever,,I get 36 on road trip's and 33 at the least town driving.I have put some new parts in like water pump and clutch and new air,new sensor.It still passed smog like a champ,at 130,000.this car get's up and go's good power.I have owned lot's of car's and they should be making more like this.It's very reasonable too fix's on low budget.

Only car i have owned

by flamegurl from Plano, TX | April 22, 2012

I recieved this car in high school in 2002. I was only 2 years old then with 68, 000. Over the past 10 years i put 100,000 miles on it and it has never given any troubles besides regular maintenance!! I have taken this car everywhere in Texas and the surrounding states! Great memories!

Good for teenager

by rlskiller from South Dakota | February 19, 2012

I had a 2000 neon for 5 years. I bought it bearly used with 10,000 miles on it and the car now has 72000 miles on it. I think we changed the water pump once on it. Out of the blue oil started to come up from the spark plugs. Piston trouble or manifold issues, I'm not sure. The car wasnt worth putting 2000 dollars of repair into. This car was taken care of very well. This shouldnt of happened. If you have kids or need your space, this is not the car for you. This car is suited best for teenagers to go to and from work/school/practice. Trunk space is great. This model DOES NOT get 30 some miles to the gallon. They geared this year differently and its MPG suffered. I never had trouble starting it in the cold.

Bought brand new

by Bill from Minneapolis, MN | March 17, 2011

I bought this car as my first ever brand new car. I got it in December of 2000 and it had 20 miles on it from people test driving it. I have had it now for over 10 years and besides oil changes (the plug for the oil pan got stripped and needed to be replaced) and tire changes, I have had absolutely no problems with this car at all. I am coming up on to about 100k miles on it and I still love this car. It feels very comfortable, and has surprising lots of room in the trunk (golf clubs along with other picnic type items all fit). I didn't get a model with all the perks (power locks/windows, etc..) so I have never had a problem with anything like that. I just wish the Neon was still being made, because when this one finally gets to the point where I need a new car (probably in about 5 years or so) then I would have bought another one. And to be honest, I think getting a new car would be more about me wanting something new as opposed to the car actually needing to be replaced.

151,000 and runs like new.

by Moe from Pittsburgh, PA | December 2, 2010

Have owned this car since 2003. Bought it used with 35,000 miles. besides oil changes (which I stretched a few). I've only had to replace the battery, both front tie-rods, brakes, alternator, battery, and starter. With 150,000 miles it has no rust, still gets 30+ MPG on highway, starts everyday, and runs like the day i bought her. When she dies I'm gonna buy another. case closed!

Good looking on the outside,Terrible on the inside

by Bitter-sweet Neon entusiast from Oceanside, CA | January 15, 2010

I had a 2001 Dodge Neon used with only 41,000 miles. For a compact car it accelerated and handles GREAT!!! The design and the comfort are 5 STAR for that kind of vehicle, I fell in love with the car. I never did mind the fact it didn't have power W/L I really did love and do somewhat miss that car. The MAJOR and I do mean MAJOR problem was the Mechanical Reliability!!! It had 44,000 miles when this started. This car, stalled on me more the 15 times, NO JOKE!!! I spent more money fixing the car then it was worth!!! I never ever had problems with the engine or transmition, so it was never covered under the warranty. They believed it was a spark plug that NO ONE was able to fix cause it always kept burning out. Mechanics were never able to find out exactly what the problem was. Even when they test drove the vehicle they knew there was a problem, cause it stalled out on them, but couldn't figure it out. That vehicle was in the shop every other week. I only had it for 10 months, and it only had 59,000 miles when I traded it in for a Nissan Sentra which doesn't look as nice, nor does it handle as well, but had I with the Neon. I now wonder why Chrysler/ Dodge became Bankrupt...

120,000 miles

by blue from Queens, NY | November 11, 2009

I bought my 2000 Dodge Neon 2 years ago with 86,000 miles from a private seller for $3000. Now have over 120,000 city miles and tons of problems....need new motor mounts/squeaks like crazy when I drive/need a new oil tank cause the treads are worn/check engine light always on/had to replace the engine coil and alternator both left me stranded. Transmission fluid line broke 3 times due to shaky motor mount which I neglected to fix. AAA is my best friend! In 2 years, this car has left me stranded over 5 times! Although, all repairs were considerably minor. Still runs with these problems, good commuter car. I guess an old car is expected to have problems. Afraid to take on long distances. could probably last a few more years given a thousand or so in repairs. The drivers side door has to be double checked that it is closed properly when driven. when it rains very hard I've noticed moisture in the passenger side, so there is a minor leak. no problems with the power windows or locks. when I put the lights on, sometimes I hear a buzzing sound. Shutting them off and putting them back on usually corrects that. Moon roof never functioned properly since I owned. forming rust on the bottom sides of the vehicle by the doors. paint chips here and there, nothing major. exterior still in mostly good condition. saving for a foreign car. can't wait to get rid of this thing.

It's a pretty good car

by Neon Deon from Camp Springs, MD | July 23, 2008

I bought this car with 25K on it and I have had it for 5 years now. It still runs great. There are some wear and tear issues that I have with a few things. Dodge used Mopar parts that are only rated for 75,000 miles. When my car hit 75,001 then multiple things began to break down immediately. The power looks began to make noises and some need assitance to open the door. Then one of my speakers became staticy. It is in the wiriing. I have swapped out speakers and it doesn't go away. Other than those two issues everything else works great. I still get great gas mileage too.

Ok for first car, but would never buy another

by MrgnsMM from Canton, Ohio | May 8, 2008

This car was fine as a first car, but I have had many problems with mine. It seems that the seals not only for my driver side, passenger side and back passenger side are bad, but my trunk is also bad. My biggest complaint is the horrible squealing sound the brakes make, especially when they are wet. It handles fine, but I cringe every time I apply my breaks. It is also a very cramped interior and i would not recomend for someone with children.

Good car for new drivers.

by Neon Driver from Oregon | May 4, 2008

I have had my vehicle for 8 years now. Only problems I've had is a water leak on the driver's side, yet that only happens if my car is parked on a side tilt, also my passenger side power lock makes a buzzing sound when locking the vehicle. Though this might sound unpleasant, I have not had any major problems with the car. The engine runs good when maintained. It may not have powerful engine or superior handling, but this car is easy to operate for beginner drivers, either an automatic or manual. Fun car to cruise on the open and winding roads.

Featured Services for this Dodge Neon