2002 Dodge Neon

28 city / 34 hwy

Overall

Bridge Car for 9 Months

by Fredtx from DFW Area | August 24, 2014

I bought this car to from a neighbor who had this vehicle since it was new. 134K, well kept, and driven by easy drivers. The history of this car was a rebuilt transmission with in the first 50K, then a couple minor accidents. Finally a battery failure lead them to believe the car was about to die. Hence I got this cheap and picked it up with a dented door, and excessive road noise, along with what felt like the need for brakes. After a new battery, the car appeared to start and run with no drive train issue. Next I did a brake job and corrected all stopping concerns I had. Still road noise, so after rotating tires to ensure it wasn't a tire issue, replaced the front wheel bearings. Now I suspect it is driving like it would have new. Pretty simple car to work on. The down side is this car literally has NO power. When I drive down the road, I commonly find myself driving below the speed limit, and feel as thou I am pushing this car to just do 60mph. If I ever get a speeding ticket in this car I will be shocked. The fuel economy is NO WHERE near the advertised, even combined mileage. The best I get is 28 mph. I can understand why this car isn't manufactured any more nor the PT Cruiser. As for an inexpensive used car for bridging from my recent ride to a new car, or just having a work car to get you from home to work daily, this isn't bad. Better then a golf cart for comfort, only because your not exposed to the elements, and the AC works great. I have had several people offer to buy it from me when I get my new car at the price I got it for. But really I have owned everything from a 1/2ton pickup to a Chevy Astro van, and a Chevette to a BMW M5. This vehicle build was probably taken from a high school shop class wanting to design their first car. If it was really designed by college educated engineers, they deserve to get their money back from the university they attended, and the auto engineering association needs to pull their credentials.

very reliable car.

by neon owner from Boston,MA | December 6, 2012

I bought this car barely used in 2005 with 10,000 miles on it and it has been the perfect car never left me broken down on the side of the road. the only problem I was the average wear in tear for a car. the dodge neon is plain jane car so if your so if your looking for all the bells and whistles find a different car. I finally trade my neon at 230,000 miles for a truck because I needed something bigger.

started having problems early

by NSB Reaper from | October 26, 2012

just hit 100k and i already am having to have repairs on it from normal wear and tear. I would not be buying another neon again

Best car I've ever bought

by Neon dude from Chicago IL | February 28, 2012

Best money I've spent. This car not only looks sexy but it feels sexy as well. It handles great. Its no race car but it has some kick to it. A great first car for a teenager!

Not bad,could use some improvment

by Neonowner02 from west PA. | May 6, 2011

Back bracks locked up, needed towed, problem with air cond. kinda rough ride when over 70,000 mls. but all and all not to bad, have had worse!

Dependable Little Car

by Emily from Alpena, MI | March 5, 2011

I bought my 2002 Neon in September 02 and drove it until Feb of this year. It was a great little car for me. Got me to and from work, college, and it was great to travel with. Excellent with the gas prices the way they have been. It just was too small for my growing family.

most reliable car i' owned

by sport car enthusiast from michigan | July 26, 2010

is the best used car i have ever owned. very low maintinance. i brought it in 207. i have not spent 5 thousand on it. great car.

Cutest car ever.

by Neon Lover from Yakima, WA | July 5, 2009

My 2002 Neon runs excellent, haven't had to do any repairs since keeping up with the maintanance. Will admit the factory paint is not the best as it chips easily. It is extrenely comfortable to drive, not the most powerful off the block but it can get you where your going quick enough.

A OK car but be willing to drop some cash

by ty6971 from Richmond,MO | June 8, 2009

I have had my 2002 neon for about a year now that I bought for $5500 and have already had to put about $2000 in repairs so far. Bought the car with 48000 on it. Now has over 65000 on it and since then alot of stuff has went bad. Heres the list of everything repaired, new front brake rotors and pads, new clutch kit(clutch,flywheel,presure plate) and the master cylenoide in the tranny($835 alone)new oxygen sensor and check engine light still stays on,bent front axle(dont know how no wrecks)a/c charge,new tires all the way around,head and manifold gaskets,exhaust flange and wireing issues. And tommorow I have to take it in to see about a throtle issue. Will sometime idle high about 2000rpms or just die. Don't buy unless you have to and if you do be willing to drop more cash into it.

Not worth it

by Sonia from London, Ontario | June 3, 2009

We bought this vehicle in 2006.Not worth your money.I wouldn't suggest getting this vehicle. It has a lots of electrical problems.

Featured Services for this Dodge Neon