See Also: 2004 Dodge Neon

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Not bad

by Brylo from Wisconsin | March 8, 2013

Bought this car with 55,000 miles. I now have 169,000 on it. I did need a radiator as some other reviewers have mentioned...as well as the camshaft position sensor. The heater core started leaking at 130k miles...but a bottle of stop leak fixed that. Except for the radiator it has never left me stranded...although the sensor made it run rough on way to shop. Other things recently were a couple wheel bearings...ball joints...bushings, but it does have a lot of miles on it! It does handle very well...turning radius however is a joke. For what I paid, and the miles I have gotten (and it is still going) I am happy. Transmission is original, and shifts fine. I like how the car is geared, seems better on the highway and I do mostly highway driving. Air has stayed ice cold with no repairs...no accessory troubles at all.

poor salesmanship

by me me from beaver dam | February 7, 2013

This dealership does not follow up with you . they sold the car out from under me and never called me to tell me. poor service. ; (

Great car for the money

by Jangle from Suffern NY | November 29, 2011

I had a 97 now a 04. They are both great cars for the money. Add stripes and wheels and they look hot. I paid $5000 for the 97. 10 years later I sold it for $2500. Try to get that value out of a Honda or Toyota. In the 97 I had a Head Gasket issue. I put in Permagasket and it fixed the head for years. No problems thereafter. The 04 is definately faster. I also have a 99 Forsd Escort. They Neons are definatly better handlers and are faster than the ford. I also had a 95 Accord. The accord was more refined but also cost 3 times the money. The only thing I dont like about the 04 is that I have to replace the lower control arm bushings. No big deal though, they are only rubber.

Really good car untill 100,000 miles

by 2004 Dodge Junk from Mather, PA | August 16, 2011

Car was ok untill it reached the 100,000 mile mark then the radiator busted inbetween the tranny and engine cooler. had that replaced then 20,000 miles later the transmission went out. another 1500 dollars down the drain. then 20,000 more miles the compuer went out causing the spark plug to strip out. wouldn't recomend this car to anyone.

Sturdy car.

by PutValley Tom from Putnam Valley, NY | June 11, 2011

I bought my '04 Neon used, back in 09, after my first two cars (Buick Century[parent picked that loser car] and Chevy Cavalier) died. The Neon had just over 39,000 miles on it when I bought it, it now has a little over 81,000. Last December, a car was backing into the spot next to my, and side scraped my car on the wheel well. The damage is minimal, just a tiny dent and scratches. The subaru that hit me, their plastic bumper got caught in my wheel well and ripped off. Then sadly in February, just as i get in my car at the supermarket in the parking lot, a Lexus RX (2011) backs into my car, (her driverside rear meets mine) As i get out of the car, I see the lexus first, which needs alot of work. A new bumper, tailight and Rear quater panel. I look at my car, my tailight is broken and i have a dent on the corner of my bumper. As im picking pieces up of my tailight so no one runs them over and gets a flat I hear a BANG, i look around and notice the dent on my car, popped out. After that crash I only needed some paint to touch up the bumper ($20) and a new tailight ($40). This is one sturdy car. The only time I ever had mechanical issues was when I reached 80,000 I needed to replace the Cam Sensor. No biggie. I wish they still made this car, is an excellent one.

Rock solid

by Scotch from Northern Kentucky | April 23, 2011

I've had several Neons over the years, but the SRT was the hands-down favorite. Dodge made steady improvements over the years to these cars, and it really showed. From my '95 Coupe, (which was a good car, but not perfect), to my '98 Sedan (which was better yet, though not without issues mostly due to a previous owner's poor mechanic skills), and my '04 SRT-4, which NEVER gave me any mechanical trouble, other than the boost gauge reading faulty (replaced by Dodge after the warranty expired). The handling was decent, but could have been improved with lighter wheels and better dampers and sway bars. In fact, if my '96 Sedan (not mentioned above) with ACR Koni struts, sway bars, and Mopar Hi-Rate springs, had the same power, it would have mopped the floor with the heavier SRT. As it was, the '96 had about half the power, and was less than half the fun. The seats in SRT are lifted straight from the Viper, albeit with lower-grade upholstery, and no harness holes, unless you ponied-up for the ACR SRT-4, which also had a MUCH better suspension, but I digress. Looking at the seats, one might think they would be narrow and uncomfortable, but they really aren't. I'm not a small guy by any measure, but I was always comfy in them, even on 6-7 hour trips. The interior was pretty cheap overall, but that's not why a person buys a car like the SRT-4. However, the interior did wear pretty well, and looked nearly as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it. The seat cloth was hard to clean without it looking blotchy, though. You can see that in many interior shots of used SRTs. Mechanically, the SRT was well-engineered and tough. I suspect those who had much trouble with theirs either got an abused car, or abused it themselves. My car was treated well, but not coddled, and it never complained. I really miss that car.

Dodge,never again.

by andrew from wisconsin | February 28, 2011

When I bought this car I didn't expect much from it.I mean it is dodge,it says everything.Unfortunate it was worse then I expectet.After 100K miles transmission had to be fixed 1100$,few month later engine start to leak.Went to a few different mechanics both of them told me that it going to be cheaper to put a new motor in then fix current one.Long story short,after a month of struggling I traded it.

Practical pocket rocket

by The Fig from Maryland | February 22, 2011

The Dodge SRT-4 blends performance, style, and comfort in an affordable package. The engine is the brightest performer with strong braking to keep the speed in check. The stock suspension feels average, but the SRT-4 can handle nicely with a few choice modifications. The interior features highly supportive yet comfortable bucket seats. The gauges, shifter, and petals inspire a performance feel.

More than your money's worth

by DJ from Oak Lawn, IL | February 6, 2011

Had this car from fall of 2004 to 2011. Bought used at 11,000 +/- miles and at about 86,000 now. Bought it cause it was cheap and had low expectations for it, was used to much more expensive cars. I was amazed at the superior handling and performance. It was very low cost to operate. Never had any significant problems with the car. Two major accidents. Car should have been totaled the first time and was not, body was rebuilt significantly and an axle replaced due to the accident in 2006. Thought it might be a big issue, but they did an excellent job of the repair and you would never know it was in the accident and after about $12,000 in damages. Dodge really stood behind their warranty when there were any issues. Never paid for any significant repairs other than brakes, tires, oil, etc.... My only two complaints were that this car seemed to eat tires. Never had a car that ate tires like this one. Must've had 14 tires that I bought from flats. Wasn't just me, but my wife and 2 of my kids that drove it had the same issue. The second complaint is being 6'-2" just like any small car they are difficult to get up out of, but that is much like most, if not all small cars and sports cars. Overall, I think they built this car way too good and that is why they stopped making it. My kids all loved the car and fought over who was going to get it, when we handed it down. After a recent major accident like the one years ago, this time it is a total loss. Had one kid as driver in this accident and another in the prior one years ago, much to my surprise neither had a scratch. Before I bought this, I never thought I would buy a Chrysler or Dodge product. Since I bought this, I've bought two more - the Sebring '05 Convertible and Ram '10 1500. The performance of the both has been impeccable.

Amazing bang for the buck

by RickE from Hudson valley of NY | February 3, 2011

5-speed SXT, quick, economical, reliable, and FUN TO DRIVE. Slick, smooth-shifting transmission, easy clutch, great brakes, corners flat, quiet, precise steering. Easy to read instruments, easy to service. What else is there? Can't beat it with a club!

Featured Services for this Dodge SRT4