1996 Dodge BR1500

$85–$9,225

Overall

96 Ram 1500 standard

by Dodgeguy65 from Indiana | March 20, 2014

I bought it for 3500, it's got 200,000 miles. It has 360 v8 4x4 still running strong on trany. Engine is going good also it has no rust but paint is peeling here and there I love the truck. I will keep it till I get done with schooling then trade up to a Cummins.

dodge ram 1500 4wd

by dan from Big Bend, W.I. | August 25, 2012

Own a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd extended cab 8ft box. Have 248000 miles on the 5.9L and it still runs good. The only weak area is the automatic transmission, rebuilt at 90000 miles and 230,000 miles. If the body wasn't rusted, I would keep this truck for the rest of my life. Trying to find a 2002 Ram 2500 like this one but have not been able to.

Hulk

by Fire from Ohio | January 31, 2010

My dad owned a 1996 2500 and I loved it. This truck could not be stopped. The only thing that tried, was a tornado that pushed a tree over crushing the cab and bed. BUT THE ENGINE STILL TURNED OVER AND YOU COULD STILL PUT IT INTO GEAR! Now for all you that think this isnt a very good truck take that into consideration. I LOVE DODGE RAMS! 1. Ram 2. F-Series 3. GMC 4. I Dont Know. Chevy I dont like. Sorry.

Uses car for Towing

Old Friend

by macdaddy from Kentucky | July 30, 2009

I used to trade trucks every 3 or 4 years, usually Ford or Chevy. I bought this 1996 truck used in 1998 and finally understand what it is to fall in love with a vehicle. I still love the way it looks, runs and sounds, but it's single best feature is that it has been absolutely dead reliable no matter what I put in it or behind it. The entire drive train is original, at 141K miles, which includes a lot of travel trailer towing. I have changed plugs, belts, hoses & flushed the tranny twice, but the starter, alternator, water pump, radiator, A/C compressor, etc are all original. The power windows, locks, cruise, climate controls, etc have all been trouble free. The only items to fail have been the rearmost oxygen sensor (check engine light) and the A/C evaporator core began leaking freon. Not bad for 11 years. This may be comparing apples and oranges but my father in law's 1997 Chevy with very similar mileage has had the alternator, fuel pump, and transmission to fail AND has had the intake gasket replaced twice. Now it's parked beside his garage because his engine has a pecking noise in it. He went and bought another new Chevy, he said they are the best trucks on the road. My previous 2 trucks were both F-150's with the 4.9L (300 c.i.) I-6, good trucks, good trucks and more economical than this Ram, but they seem so bland in comparison. I have the Club Cab with 318 (5.2L) 4 speed automatic and 3.92 gears in the hefty 9.25" rear axle. When I pass this truck on to my youngest next year I will again shop for the best value, but I would not hesitate to buy another Dodge Ram. It's been as good as a Ford and that's saying a lot. .

Uses car for Towing

Very Reliable

by akhilleus650 from Marysville, MI | January 23, 2009

My father purchased this car new and gave it to me. It has the 318 v8 in it. It has 207k miles on it, and it has never had any major problems. The engine provides plenty of power, and the transmission is still good, which surprised me. The exterior design is amazing. I think it looks better than the newer models. The interior design is not great, and I wish it handled better, but overall, it is an excellent vehicle for the price.

by Happy RI Dodge Owner from Rhode Island | March 6, 2008

Back in 1996 I was finally ready to buy a truck. It was my first truck and knew nothing about them. I first drove a Chevy 1500 and was slightly pleased by the power and looks, and I tried out a buddy's F-150 XLT with a 5.8L V8, but did not like the power at all, that Ford wouldn't move for anything. Then as I was driving down the road I spotted this beautiful blue and chrome pickup with an aggressive "outta my way" look...Best thing I ever did was buy this Ram. Power-everything, powerful 5.9L V8, had the towing and sport package... I now have 177,000 miles on this thing and I am amazed that everything still works like new twelve years later. This truck has been beaten up pretty good and still keeps coming. AS FOR THE BAD TRANNY MYTH? not a chance, I've never had a problem with this thing. The only thing I wish my Ram had was a tighter turning radius and four-wheel drive.

by dodge from new york | November 21, 2006

this truck has been nothing but a big piece since i owned it. It seems about every six months i was spending all kinds of money on different things. I would not recommend this truck to anyone as it let me down many different times. i have put three transmissions in it now and one motor. The truck only has two hundred kilometers on it. I put a new heater core in it as well as a paint job because of all the rust.

Featured Services for this Dodge BR1500