1998 Dodge Ram 1500

$848–$9,276

Overall

98 dodge ram 1500 Laramie review

by The big asian from | August 31, 2014

My family has own one since new, it's a 98 Laramie slt, 4x4 club cab, it's hard on fuel but eh so what, it's easy to work on, a lot of room in the engine bay, it's only rated for 7,200 lbs but we've pull about 10,000lbs with it across canada, when pulling you'll get about 8 mpg if you're lucky

Still going at 200,000 miles

by BeastOwner from Washington State | May 29, 2013

Bought the truck new, with 4 miles on the odometer. With proper maintenance, the beast is still on the road. I finally had to replace the tranny and fuel pump. Tires, oil changes and maintenance cost more on a big truck, but it's worth not having to buy a replacement vehicle since 1998. Mileage is 12-15 mpg - not great but not bad for all the hauling I do for Boy Scouting activities. The interior is comfortable for long trips, and it handles well for such a big vehicle.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Transmission issues

by mlind06 from | May 16, 2012

I had a 1998 1500 4X4 with the 5.9L V8 and 4 spd automatic transmission. I bought it used in 2002 with 51k miles. From 2002 to when I sold it in 2009, I put 47K miles, two tranmissions, a water pump, radiator and a rear end into the truck. I loved it except for the reliability issues and the mileage. At purchase it would get 12 MPG city and 14-15 MPG hwy. I added a Superchips tuner with the mileage setting and it increased to 13 MPG city and 16 Hwy, still not impressive.

Just had a 94 totaled out great truck.

by Wild Bill from Fairview Oregon | February 4, 2012

Like the color. a/c would top it off. Price is about right Would like to make a deal.it has spray in bed liner.

Good truck but engine problems

by sensei from Dayton, Ohio | September 27, 2011

On the 5.9 liter there are trouble with the intake manifold gooing bad. Cost me $3000. Truck tires are never cheap and this truck is no exception. I spent about $6,000 in repairs in my 5 years owning the truck. I loved the interior and exterior. but I am disappointed about the engine problems. I think this truck could go over 200,000 miles but it will take some money to fix things up and maintain.

Car I read and studied about

by Car examiner from Cicero,IL | May 16, 2011

This car was one of the most reliable in its period but what I studied this car will be worth 3x its worth today in 2014.

great truck

by redneck from braxton ,wv | October 3, 2009

this is the best truck i ever owed it's got great 4x4 for offroad mine is got the off road pack and a6inch skyjacker lift kit on 39's but still gets up and gose when you slam the gas pedal,i raced a 1969 camaro and won so it's still very fast with all the modefications not any problems out of it and it's been treated very ruff so thats good

Uses car for Off-roading

the best truck ever

by chevy guy from braxton county ,wv | September 21, 2009

this is the best truck ever it is very reliable and it is very powerful it's 4.7 v8 makes 380 hp we use it to tow and offroad and just getting around

Old Faithful!

by farmerjp37 from richmond, VA | July 10, 2009

The best thing since sliced bread. It has been an amazing vehicle. Under a light load with a trailer I can barely tell there is anything back there. The performance is amazing and has a great turn radius for such a large truck. I installed a cold air intake as well as opened up the exhaust and i now get close to 16mpg which is amazing for a full size V8

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Has been a good truck!!

by Stomper from Leitchfield, KY | February 16, 2009

I bought my 98' Ram Sport model 4x4 about 5 years ago and have never had any significant problems. It now has approximately 178,000 miles on it and still going strong. Never had tranny, motor, axle, or any other problems. I keep my oil and fluid/filters changed. I use it often to pull my car hauler and it does so with ease. The 5.9L has quite a bit of pulling power and the tranny is holding up fine. One of the big reasons I like this truck so much is the reliability and integrity of the solid front axle because the truck is lifted 5". I have never so much as replaced a u-joint so far. This is also a daily driver!

Featured Services for this Dodge Ram 1500