Designed specifically for commercial applications as a passenger, cargo or chassis cab van, the Sprinter can be built on one of two wheelbases with three different roof heights. The Sprinter competes in a class with the Chevrolet Express, Ford E-Series Wagon and GMC Savana.
New for 2009
The Dodge Sprinter can no longer be had with a gasoline engine.
A large grille incorporates the Dodge Ram logo. The back doors open to the vehicle's full height and swing open 270 degrees. One-touch, triple-flash turn signals and wide-angle mirrors are standard. An electronic sliding door is optional for both cargo and passenger models. Passenger vans now include an emergency exit window.
Sprinters ride on one of two wheelbases, 144 and 170 inches long, and are 233, 273 or 289 inches long overall. The base Sprinter's length beats the E-Series and Express/Savana twins, as does its extended cab compared to competing extended cabs. The Sprinters can also have a 65- or 76.4-inch-high roof, or what Dodge calls the mega roof, which provides 84 inches of walk-through height.
- Standard power windows, locks and integrated wide-angle mirrors
- Standard 16-inch steel wheels
- Optional 16-inch aluminum wheels (cargo and passenger models)
- Sliding passenger-side door
- Dual hinged doors in back with a 270-degree opening (passenger and cargo models)
- Optional side doors (in place of sliding door)
- Optional heated windshield and rain-sensing wipers
Up to 12 occupants fit inside a passenger-carrying Sprinter. Two people sit up front and as many as three more rows of seats can be installed. A standard removable four-seat rear bench is new for cargo vans. All models can have swivel bucket seats in front. Sprinters have a flat cargo floor and tapered rear wheel housings.
Cargo volume varies throughout the Sprinter lineup, starting at 141.3 cubic feet in the passenger van and going up to an overall cargo capacity of 600 cubic feet in some models. This easily beats the competition. The 2500 Sprinter cargo van has 318 cubic feet of maximum cargo volume with the regular length and roof, compared to the E-Series 230.6 cubic feet and the Express/Savana's 225 cubic feet.
- Available cloth or vinyl seats
- Standard air conditioning
- Standard tilting and height-adjustable steering wheel
- Standard CD player
- Optional six-disc CD changer
- Optional heated seats
Under the Hood
Sprinters come in 2500 (three-quarter-ton) and 3500 (one-ton) ratings, but only the 2500 series includes a passenger model.
For 2009, the 254-horsepower, 3.5-liter gasoline V-6 has been discontinued, leaving the diesel to solider on as the Sprinter's only engine. Sprinters have an independent front suspension, rear leaf springs and power rack-and-pinion steering.
- 154-hp, turbocharged 3.0-liter diesel V-6 with 280 pounds-feet of torque
- Five-speed automatic transmission
The 12-passenger van now includes an emergency exit window.
- Optional side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard all-disc antilock brakes
- Standard electronic stability system and traction control