1998 Dodge Stratus

Available in 2 styles:  Stratus 4dr Base shown
$615–$3,795

20–25.9 city / 30.1–37.2 hwy

Overall

Make 1 repair and think you're done, think again.

by Lex from Cleveland | December 17, 2012

I bought this car in 2009. It is reliable and has never broke down on me but It basically started looking a project car or "handy man special". I always needed repairs. But only once/twice a year. I guess because it is used it always needs maintenance. And all that can be expensive. And the warranty's you can buy for a used car are just as bad. I had to pay for power-steering rack and pinion and tie rods. All the rest was maintenance. Brakes 3 different times. Drums cylinders. Bearings, control arms axles you name it! It is reliable but once you make one repair and think you're done, think again.

never changed timing belt, motor runs like new

by some speed with comfort from aurora, il | March 9, 2011

great car never had any major problems, transmission not very good. but thats from unproper care. love to drive feels very comfortable. engine is great reacts pretty quickly just the transmission isnt good so that messes it up.

Great Car

by Hooter from Chicago | May 21, 2010

I bought a 98 Stratus in 2002 with 37129 miles. I traded the car in with 120K in December 2007 and never replaced the radiator, waterpump, trans, engine, starter, fuel pump, alternator, radiator. All parts were still original. The car drove great on the expressway and got great gas mileage. I ended up buying a Mazda and sold it after 8 months and went back to a Dodge. If you are looking for a car for your College kids, I would recommend this car.

Word of Caution

by Need a new car soon! from Seattle, WA | April 7, 2010

I bought a car exactly the same from this dealer about 2 years ago. I hate the car. The transmission went out a week after I bought it. So I ended up paying double for this car. I will never buy a Dodge again or go to this dealer again.

take a gamble indeed

by bob from springfeild vermont | November 3, 2009

for infosaur, i have a 98 plymouth breeze i bought new. there part of a trio called the cloud cars. the plymouth breeze was the less costly and was targeted for young buyers. the dodge was the middle and had more features, and the chrysler cirrus was the luxury and came with even more features. i like the breeze the most for the exterior but could use some chrome moulding from the cirrus. i like the cirrus because of the features. i would say good for you in trying to get another stratus or any other cloud car for that matter.

Not so reliable!

by workingpoor from | April 1, 2009

We bought this car about a year ago thinking it would be a good work car. It ended up being pretty rusted out ( hidden under the dealers paint job) and then through the timing belt and had to be towed home. This was after just having to buy two new tires due to a blow out. We fixed the belt and now the compression is bad in one cylinder. Never ending money pit.

My 98 Stratus

by Leit from | March 16, 2009

this car is amazing i bought it in 2008 with less tehn 20k miles on it. runs great and is decent on gas. not a sports car but ill get over it

My Trusty Stratus

by Gyzmologist from Phoenix, AZ | September 6, 2006

I bought this car in 1999 with 32,000 miles. What I really enjoy about it is the way it drives: comfortable seats, steady stearing, and tight turning radius. Today it has 129,000 miles and still gets over 30 mpg on the highway. No major repairs, only routine maintenance. The engine starts readily and runs quietly (no ticking or knocking noises when cold). The transmission is still flawless in its performance. Holds an alignment well and doesn't chew up tires like my wife's Mustang. The AC still works, but not that well on really hot days (>100). The head light lenses are cloudy now and need to be replaced. The left side power door lock actuators don't always work and need to be replaced. It is my daily driver which I still enjoy driving.

Forget what you've heard, take a gamble

by Infosaur from New York, NY | August 31, 2006

I bought a 98 new for my mother. It had everything the competition had at the time but at a better price. Everyone told me I was crazy, that Dodge's break, that they're unreliable, etc. Well 121,000 miles later the only thing I don't like about it is that it depreciates right off a cliff. My advice to used car buyers, find them now. They still look fantastic, they have the room of a full size (I'm 6'2") but are easy to park. but shorter drivers may need to adjust to the high tail end. (price you pay for a huge trunk though) Although the brakes are a weak point they handle magnificently. The start out with predicable understeer but can be coaxed into rotation very easilly, making them enjoyable on mountain switchbacks. I recomend the V-6 Autostick combination. You COULD have a stick, OR an AUTOMATIC, but why not get both? Cruising or cornering at the flick of a wrist, why don't more companies offer this? The V-6 is strong off the line but also has a fair top end (though in the later years I babied the engine, keeping it below 3k rpms mostly) Since no one would give me a trade for it, I kept it, but someone hit it and now it is totaled (airbags still work!) I might go out and find another.

Featured Services for this Dodge Stratus