1999 Dodge Stratus

$892–$5,564

Overall

Trusty Stratus

by Gear Head from Salt Lake City, UT | September 10, 2013

My dad has had the manual 2.0L 4 cylinder version of this for 14 years. It has never our family much trouble other than basic maintenance. Pros: Decently styled exterior, above average stock stereo, mythical gas mileage (we still see 35mpg at 100k miles on it) Cons: 4 cylinder model is a gutless wonder. You don't buy this car for thrills. Boring interior styling Overall, as long as you realize this is a basic sedan you will be pleased with this choice. It's been cheap to run and for a car this size has incredible gas mileage.

lemon all the way

by ed from austin tx | May 12, 2008

My father was a dodge man and we had lot of them growing up. I thought it was a good idea to get a dodge. I purchased a 4 cylinder 99 Stratus. One thing after another. It ran like a lawn mower. Hills made the car scream. It would squeal from the wheels. Took it to dealer and the couldnt figure it out. Cruise control made transmission go nuts and shift like it was going to die. Thank god they made the stereo good and loud. Thats the only thing that kept the other noises from the car out. Everyone else outside would just look and laugh. I maintained the car well but could not get the noises to stop. The dealer couldnt figure out how to fix there own car. The car lasted 2 years and caught fire in park, in front of my daughters school on her first day. It was a powerstearing leak recall. I walk out with a smile and thought thank god for full coverage. I will never buy a dodge again.

First Car

by LN2007 from Chicago | July 4, 2007

This is the first car I owned. I still currently own it because it is still running smoothly. The only problem i had with it was to change the pistons. The car also has good handling, a lot of leg room for the back seat, and has decent acceleration. The only thing i dont like about the car is that its pretty thirsty for gas for a 4 cylinder engine. This is a great car for unexperienced teen drivers short on cash.

Great value. Cheap to own/operate.

by Cheapdude from Central PA. | October 3, 2006

This car has proven to be above average in terms of reliability and durability. I should know, I'm hard on vehicles. Parts and accessories are cheap, compared to other vehicles. It lacks performance but hey, it's only a little four cylinder. Good solid car. Highly recommended.

Older Dodge Stratus V6, Still Chuggin

by Still Chuggin from Aurora, IL | May 22, 2006

My 1999 Stratus has 170,000 miles on it and has never had any major problems, but I think they may be coming soon. I can feel the transmission starting to go, and the suspension is just about shot. I've heard the 4-cylinder versions of these cars had problems and the V6s did not, and that's been the case in my experience. My cousin bought a 4-cyliner around the time I bought my V6. That car is long gone (it had a leaky head gasket I think) and mine's still going. My wife and I drove this car hard on the expressway for 5 years before retiring it to in-town duty when we bought our newer car. If you're looking at an older used Stratus, I'd just make sure it's the V6 version and the transmission still feels solid.

Featured Services for this Dodge Stratus